Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 07:18 PM

91 posts, read 165,809 times

Advertisements

So those of you who live in Boise...

I realize the weather has been in the 100's for the past week or so.

Are you guys really that miserable (both daytime and in the night when you're trying to go to sleep...and your apartment/house is hotter than hell)?

Or due to the fact there is no humidity there...it's hot/warm, but life is bearable?

Just curious. When I visited there a few weeks ago, it got up to 95 degrees and I didn't realize it until I looked at the temperature gauge in my car. I was shocked it was 95 degrees because it really only felt like 80 degrees.

It was warm, but not miserable. I can deal with that kind of heat.

Outside of going to Vegas in the summer time, I'm not sure what summer feels like without unbearable humidity. It's 80 degrees today and almost 90% humidity and it's very miserable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 07:34 PM

82 posts, read 98,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californiasucks View Post
Are you guys really that miserable (both daytime and in the night when you're trying to go to sleep...and your apartment/house is hotter than hell)?
I have AC, so no. Not a fan of this weather at all, but with proper caution and hydration it is no worse for me than the average temps.

Old 07-02-2015, 08:59 AM

11 posts, read 13,439 times
Nighttime isn't bad at all. I don't have AC, but I open my windows around 10:00, and with just a small fan blowing on me all night, the 80 degree nights feel fine. (Like you said, it's pretty dry here this time of year.)

As for the daytime, 100+ is hot no matter how dry it is. It's beautiful out, but I still spend much of the afternoon/early evening indoors even when I'm not working. I wouldn't say it's "miserable" weather though, just hotter than I'd like. Coming from a much colder climate, I just have to remind myself that what I think of as winter lasts for less than a month here, so I can deal with this for a few weeks in trade.

Old 07-02-2015, 01:17 PM

160 posts, read 252,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbird O'Malley View Post
I just have to remind myself that what I think of as winter lasts for less than a month here
╔╗╔═╦╗
║╚╣║║╚╗
╚═╩═╩═╝

Easily the biggest and most laughable exaggeration I've read here or anywhere else. The winter inversions and their toxic fog last at least that long. I've lived here 24 years, and have never experienced a one-month winter - not by yours or anyone else's standard.

==still laughing==

Old 07-02-2015, 04:19 PM

164 posts, read 314,994 times
When you consider places with multiple feet of snow, our mild short winter is laughable!

Old 07-02-2015, 05:11 PM

160 posts, read 252,269 times
It's mild and short (mostly), but it lasts longer than a month.

Old 07-03-2015, 07:14 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,492,874 times
I don't have air conditioning either. I put fans in the windows at night. It almost always cools off enough that I'm chilly in the morning. Close up the house and avoid turning on the oven and it stays tolerable all day. Only once in a while does it not cool off at night.

Old 07-03-2015, 05:26 PM

731 posts, read 958,557 times
If you are outdoors, and in the sun, you'll feel the drain pretty quickly.

Hydration and shade, shade and hydration.

Otherwise, yes, it's a dry heat and much less miserable that high humid heat!

Nighttime cools off nicely, like someone else said, you can leave your windows open after 10ish and not need a/c most of the time. A lot depends on if you are in a 1-story or 2-story dwelling, insulation and tree shade.

Heat was the biggest factor for me when deciding whether I wanted to relocate to Idaho. Not a fan. But, I am pleasantly, and gratefully surprised at how tolerable it's been so far.

Remember too that these hot temps that started in June, are a bit unusual. I've been told that the norm is 100+ after middle of July, but who knows these days?

Last edited by BoiseBound2012; 07-03-2015 at 05:47 PM..

Old 07-03-2015, 05:35 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,364,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseBound2012 View Post
If you are outdoors, and in the sun, you'll feel the drain pretty quickly.

Hydration and shade, shade and hydration.

Otherwise, yes, it's a dry heat and much less miserable that high humid heat!

Nighttime cools off nicely, like someone else said, you can leave your windows open after 10ish and not need a/c most of the time. A lot depends on if you are in a 1-story or 2-story swelling, insulation and tree shade.

Heat was the biggest factor for me when deciding whether I wanted to relocate to Idaho. Not a fan. But, I am pleasantly, and gratefully surprised at how tolerable it's been so far.

Remember too that these hot temps that started in June, are a bit unusual. I've been told that the norm is 100+ after middle of July, but who knows these days?

I've always felt it is tolerable and I'm not a huge fan of heat either. The summer nights in Boise are hard to beat though. Before we know it, September will be here and it will be cooler and October will be fabulous as usual.

I always tell people who complain to just go jump in the river to cool off

One thing to keep in mind about this year is that the west is in a heat wave, so it got hotter quicker than it usually does.

Living in Boise means you have to appreciate and adapt to the 4 seasons.

Old 07-03-2015, 05:46 PM

731 posts, read 958,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TohobitPeak View Post
I've always felt it is tolerable and I'm not a huge fan of heat either. The summer nights in Boise are hard to beat though. Before we know it, September will be here and it will be cooler and October will be fabulous as usual.

I always tell people who complain to just go jump in the river to cool off

One thing to keep in mind about this year is that the west is in a heat wave, so it got hotter quicker than it usually does.

Living in Boise means you have to appreciate and adapt to the 4 seasons.
Yep! Four seasons makes me feel alive! Oct. is my favorite month, the weather in most US States is glorious, good for travel.

CA has seen it's share of hot, humid weather this year, you are right, the West is in a heat wave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area