Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2015, 09:59 PM

131 posts, read 197,788 times

Advertisements

I grew up fishing on the Snake River for sturgeon and steelhead. Around Boise, I see a lot of people fishing in man-made ponds, which I find very strange. Not sure I understand the draw of going to stocked pond. Please help me understand this. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2015, 07:53 AM

160 posts, read 252,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burbsgrrl View Post
Not sure I understand the draw of going to stocked pond. Please help me understand this.
Strange? Not everyone is a purest, or wants to be. For families, a neighborhood pond is an ideal place for an outdoor experience without driving miles into the desert to reach the Snake River. It's convenient. Children can play in the grass, learn how to fish, and even younger children can observe from their playpen set up beneath a shady tree. There are trash cans. It's close. The elderly, the handicapped, or anyone else for that matter, can still enjoy dropping a line in the water without the need to navigate the banks of a river, or spend the extra time or the money on the gas needed to get there. I personally can walk out my door and be at a stocked pond in about five minutes - listen to an old-timer tell me about the fish he used to catch on the Kenai River. I can chat up the others folks there, and have a nice social exchange and an outdoor experience under the same sun that shines on the Snake River. A nice cup of expresso is just across the street, along with a half-dozen different nearby restaurants.

People aren't drawn to these man-made ponds in search of native fish, they're going there for pure enjoyment.

Folks who grew up in Africa or India in plain sight of an occasional elephant, can no longer do that, so now they go to the man-made zoo if they'd like to see one. It's the same concept.

Last edited by T M H; 07-15-2015 at 08:25 AM..

Old 07-16-2015, 03:48 AM

1,956 posts, read 3,636,534 times
It's fishing and it's not too far from home for most people. Unless you want to fish the Boise River and put up with all the float tubers, they're pretty much the only close choice at this time of the year.

For still water other options are to drive up to Lucky Peak or Arrowrock (where you will have to put up with wake boats and jetskiers), Lake Lowell (ditto on the wake boats and jetskiers and eating the fish isn't a good idea) or C.J. Strike (which has much better fishing but is a good 50 miles away).

Old 07-16-2015, 07:27 AM

719 posts, read 1,567,702 times
There's fantastic fishing within an hour of Boise that to me is worth traveling for rather than dealing with a tepid urban pond. That's about as specific as I'm going to get, though... :-)

Old 07-17-2015, 06:25 PM

91 posts, read 165,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdaD View Post
There's fantastic fishing within an hour of Boise that to me is worth traveling for rather than dealing with a tepid urban pond. That's about as specific as I'm going to get, though... :-)
Is there salmon fishing nearby to Boise?

Where's the closest place to Boise you can go salmon fishing (with license/etc)? Is salmon season still going on in September/October?

Old 07-18-2015, 06:46 AM

51 posts, read 86,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdaD View Post
Can you at least say whether you're speaking of cold-water (trout) or warm-water (bass) species? Don't think you'd be giving away too much...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: