Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 05:11 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,938,077 times

Advertisements

I was totally caught off guard when I found out today that new residents needed to take a written test and skills driving test!! Even if you have a drivers license from state!! I haven't had to do that in 46 years!! Boy I'm I going to need to study! Hear in NV all you need to do is take a vision test!

And when you register a vehicle from out of state do you pay taxes on it again? That confused me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2015, 06:39 PM

879 posts, read 2,857,952 times
California requires written and vision test. I didn't know Idaho required a driving test. And no you shouldn't pay taxes again when registering.

Old 10-24-2015, 07:24 PM

524 posts, read 574,422 times
I got a new license in March and only had to take the written test and vision. Passed on the first try, but it was close, because I hadn't looked at that stuff in 20 years. Be aware there are more questions about live stock, than in my home state.

We didn't pay a tax to register the cars, but be aware that the car has to be at the DMV so they can verify the VIN # or you have to have a form that it was verified.

Old 10-24-2015, 09:10 PM

131 posts, read 197,612 times
State of Idaho has an app for iphone and android that was very helpful in studying for the test.

Old 10-25-2015, 03:02 PM

Thanks everyone. I wonder if the laws have changed since March. When reading the info on the DMV website it said a written, vision and skill test was required. I'm going to really need to study. It's a good thing they give you 90 days!
Does it ask questions about driving in snow and ice?

Old 10-26-2015, 12:20 AM

3,475 posts, read 3,277,046 times
I remember having to take a written test. It's 20 questions. You can miss two questions but if you get three wrong you have to come back and take it again the next day or next week.

It's a small booklet to read and study.

Just remember the open range law. I remember that's on the test. If you hit a cow on the road and kill it you're paying for the loss of the livestock.

There's also a vision test but there usually is.

Old 10-26-2015, 10:37 AM

731 posts, read 958,187 times
ID DMV Requirements:

Vision Screening—Your vision will be tested and you must meet a minimum standard of 20/40 vision in at least one eye, with or without corrective lenses. If you wear glasses or contacts during the screening, a lens restriction will be placed on your driver’s license. If the lens restriction is placed on your driver’s license, you must always wear your glasses or contacts when operating a vehicle or you could be cited and lose your driving privileges for a period of time.

Written Knowledge Test—If you are a new applicant for an Idaho driver’s license or your Idaho driver’s license has been expired for more than 25 months, you will be tested on your knowledge of Idaho traffic laws, highway signs by shape and symbol, traffic signals, pavement marking, and equipment required on motor vehicles.

Skills Test—A skills test is required for any applicant:
who has never been licensed before,
who has completed driver’s training and the supervised instruction period,
whose license has been expired for 25 months or more,
who presents or surrenders a driver’s license issued by a foreign country (except Germany and Korea), or
whose vision does not meet minimum standards.
A skills test may also be required for any applicant:
having any mental or physical impairment that might affect the safe operation of a motor vehicle,
when an examiner has concerns about the applicant’s ability to safely operate a motor vehicle, regardless of prior license, experience, or age.

You can find the ID Drivers Manual here:

http://itd.idaho.gov/dmv/DriverServi...ver_manual.pdf

On-line practice tests are here:

Idaho Transportation Department

And, you can download a practice app, (via Google Play or iTunes) which is what we did and found it to be very helpful!

From the Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...examprep&hl=en

Good luck, you'll do fine!

Old 10-26-2015, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseBound2012 View Post
ID DMV Requirements:

Vision Screening—Your vision will be tested and you must meet a minimum standard of 20/40 vision in at least one eye, with or without corrective lenses. If you wear glasses or contacts during the screening, a lens restriction will be placed on your driver’s license. If the lens restriction is placed on your driver’s license, you must always wear your glasses or contacts when operating a vehicle or you could be cited and lose your driving privileges for a period of time.

Written Knowledge Test—If you are a new applicant for an Idaho driver’s license or your Idaho driver’s license has been expired for more than 25 months, you will be tested on your knowledge of Idaho traffic laws, highway signs by shape and symbol, traffic signals, pavement marking, and equipment required on motor vehicles.

Skills Test—A skills test is required for any applicant:
who has never been licensed before,
who has completed driver’s training and the supervised instruction period,
whose license has been expired for 25 months or more,
who presents or surrenders a driver’s license issued by a foreign country (except Germany and Korea), or
whose vision does not meet minimum standards.
A skills test may also be required for any applicant:
having any mental or physical impairment that might affect the safe operation of a motor vehicle,
when an examiner has concerns about the applicant’s ability to safely operate a motor vehicle, regardless of prior license, experience, or age.

You can find the ID Drivers Manual here:

http://itd.idaho.gov/dmv/DriverServi...ver_manual.pdf

On-line practice tests are here:

Idaho Transportation Department

And, you can download a practice app, (via Google Play or iTunes) which is what we did and found it to be very helpful!

From the Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...examprep&hl=en

Good luck, you'll do fine!
Thank you so much!!

Old 10-28-2015, 05:23 PM

731 posts, read 958,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 370z View Post
Thank you so much!!
You are very welcome! Sharing knowledge is always a good thing.

Old 10-28-2015, 06:24 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,870,959 times
Hmm, when I moved to Washington State earlier this year, there was no testing except for vision. My guess is this is because I had previously had a Washington State license, though 20 years ago! Apparently some states are more lax than others.

You always pay fees and/or taxes on new, registrations, just as you pay them annually even if you are longtime resident. Different states of course have different fees, etc. WA used to be among the highest, but now are more reasonable. Idaho is about average.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area