Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2016, 09:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,571 times

Advertisements

After dedicating 30 years of our lives in Florida, my husband and I are ready to move for the first time and live in a different state with new activities and new terrain. Having done much research, we fell in love with the surrounding Boise area as there is much opportunity to continue our careers there and it is breathtaking. This upcoming week is our first trip out there to explore the destination. If it is as great as we imagine, we want to move in August but must setup employment before we do so. My husband is looking for a law enforcement position with Boise and I am seeking a job with Hyatt Place or another hotel. Can you give any advice on moving, career searching or the Boise area? Where should we go on our scouting trip next week?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2016, 10:38 AM

160 posts, read 252,913 times
azucker,

You need a pro to help you with your scouting trip. I've sent a DM with a recommendation - check your email.

Old 06-04-2016, 02:01 PM

820 posts, read 1,073,203 times
Welcome in advance to Boise. I just flew back from two weeks in Florida visiting our first grandchild so I know a little bit about where you are coming from and think you will truly enjoy your new chapter in life here in the Boise area. One thing you won't have to deal with here in Idaho are the toll roads. You will find a lot younger age demographic as well. On our first visit to Florida I had to ask my son what a Silver Alert was that I kept seeing on the highway reader boards (they are like an Amber alert for old people). You would find more cultural diversity in Orlando in a day than you could find in Idaho in a year; however for the most part, most people in Boise are very tolerant to others.

I have seen a quite a few job postings for various law enforcement positions here so hopefully it won't take long to find the right position for your husband. Here are a few links to consider:
https://www.adasheriff.org/careers
Join BPD - City of Boise
https://isp.idaho.gov/hr/

There are also lots of other federal type positions that might be worth considering based here in Boise (one of the benefits of being the state capital).

They are building a few new hotels in the area so that should create people moving around creating new openings at existing locations too.

Hopefully you will have time to spend a day driving up to some of our local mountain communities, take some nature hikes, walk along the Boise River on the Greenbelt and try some of our local breweries, wineries or the new cider bar.

I would suggest scouting out the types of things you do for fun in Florida and see what we have here that is closest to it. Of course you won't find Disney, Sea World or Universal Studios here. Our closest theme parks are probably Silverwood in northern Idaho and in Salt Lake, Utah.

Old 06-04-2016, 02:06 PM

820 posts, read 1,073,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szucker View Post
Where should we go on our scouting trip next week?
Most real estate agents or real estate brokers are used to offering free local tours of the area for their relocation clients who are coming to the area for job interviews. They will typically cover some of the differences between communities, prices, schools, commute times, local parks, tips on restaurants, etc. I suggest choosing a person that has relocated themselves so they know the anxiety and stress of moving to a new area and job, not just to a new home!

Old 06-15-2016, 09:12 AM

15 posts, read 25,676 times
I have tons of suggestions and advice... My husband and I moved from FL to Boise 2yrs ago.. send me a message. Hopefully I can help out

Old 06-15-2016, 01:44 PM

679 posts, read 813,913 times
Welcome to the Treasure Valley.

I used to live in Florida, about 8 different cities all over that state. Way too many people for my comfort.

Idaho has been a much better place for me to raise my family.

What sort of position are you looking for in the Hotel industry? I have some contacts with Marriott.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area