Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2016, 11:00 AM

46 posts, read 70,506 times

Advertisements

Tristate area is 18℅ minimum, 20℅ is the norm.
TIPS = "to insure proper service"
I'm not asking how much to tip if I get crappy service, just want to know what the norm is.
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2016, 11:23 AM

134 posts, read 246,217 times
My wife was a server in Boise for a while at a pretty nice restaurant.
She did okay, but many customers are very cheap.
I will add that she is an exceptional worker and excels at whatever she does.
The generous tippers barely made up for the deadbeats
who would tip 10% or less, or would outright stiff her.

More to your question, here's my formula:
When we (five of us) walk into a restaurant, the default tip is going to be $20.
That can go up or down depending on service, attitude, perceived
sincerity of staff, and of course, how much money we end up spending.

Old 07-24-2016, 12:34 PM

46 posts, read 70,506 times
Maybe I can make this easier....
Say you eat and drink at a restaurant....how much do you leave tip of your bill is :

a) $100

b) $72.46

c) $50

d) $39.89

e) $24

f) $18.50

g) $10

Old 07-24-2016, 12:51 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
Are the above number the Bill Total, or
just the Meal + Drinks or Meal/Drinks + Tax.

I Tip 15-20% on the Meal + Drinks total. Round up to the next dollar. (I don't Tip on the Tax Amount added).

So A, I would tip 15-20$

.. More or less my formula is drop the last digit, Multiply by two, round up/Down

So 72.46 would be 7.24 x 2 = 14.48 Would get Rounded to $14 - 16

G Probably 2-3$ minimum i always leave

(I don't top @ take out places, fast food etc, I tip for service, if all is done is take money, pass food over counter i don't tip)

Old 07-25-2016, 09:57 AM

679 posts, read 812,320 times
I start at 20% of the pre tax amount and adjust for service received.

When we get excellent service, the tip is much higher as we really appreciate the service and the positive experience it creates.

I never stiff servers, but if I get lousy service and its coupled with indifference or lousy attitudes, I have been know to calculate what 8% is an leave that. Fortunately, that hardly every happens.

That is for full service bar or restaurant. Buffet or counter service is a completely different calculation.

Even leaving a dollar per person to the guy or gal who cleans up your table at a counter or buffet place will be appreciated by that worker. I have a soft spot in my heart for servers, busser, and bartenders.

Old 07-25-2016, 01:08 PM

820 posts, read 1,068,626 times
I don't use any standardized formula or percentage. It takes just as much time to serve me breakfast for $10 as it does for dinner for $50 or more. Therefore, I tip based on the quality of service and time they spend with me doing more than just taking an order and delivering food.

In a service establishment (restaurant) I have been known to tip several different people in the process, not just the waiter/waitress. I know they typically share their tips, but if the food was exceptional, I send a few beers back to the kitchen (if it is allowed). If the bus puppy (busser) did a great job, they get extra, etc.

I wish more restaurants would train their staff on how to do more than just take orders and deliver food. Too many servers do not differentiate their service based on the reason the customer is there (is it a casual dinner, a date, a business meeting, etc.) I appreciate servers that know when to just fill up the water glasses instead of interrupting a conversation for fear of giving away free water.

I typically pay with my debit card, but if they do an outstanding job, I tip 15% then give them a cash supplement to show them I appreciate their extra efforts. If it is at a place I frequent, I typically tip higher and the staff typically remembers that and service just keeps getting better and I keep coming back.

Old 07-26-2016, 01:38 AM

11 posts, read 13,439 times
For good service, I usually calculate 20% then round off the change. According to this thread, that might make me a cheapass.

I'm mostly replying because of this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinderutz View Post
TIPS = "to insure proper service"
I've seen this particular backformation before (seriously, why are people always trying to turn every word into an acronym?) and it always bothers me because you're Ensuring the prompt service, not Insuring it.

Anyway, if you tep at least 15%, you'll be fine. Very few good servers are going to scoff at a 15% tep. (And for that matter, it's been my experience as a former bartender that the only waitstaff and bartenders who actually get all that pissed about low-but-reasonable teps (think 10%-ish) are almost always the ****ty servers anyway.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area