Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 04:00 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,362,364 times

Advertisements

This myth is an exaggeration imo because there are a lot of Californians who have moved to Boise and Idaho.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2016, 04:37 PM

88 posts, read 213,472 times
Tons of Californians here, some good, some bad. Best advice I could give would be the swap your plates, take a deep breath and just go about your business. Enjoy the change and adopt the pace and the culture here.
If done right you will be able to spot the ex-Californians' that either are oblivious are don't care to adapt. They will be the ones cutting you off in traffic, driving too fast through parking lots and not giving pedestrians right of way, talking loudly about "taking over" whilst in line at Costco, driving expensive cars that nobody cares about here, Raiders and 49'ers gear draped all over and other such superficial things.
If you don't notice that behavior you may want to re-evaluate your own.
Downtown (where Trader Joes is) and the North End are Cali Liberal enclaves. look for buddha statues and Tibetan prayer flags. Doesn't help that its also where most of the college kids have their frat houses or whatever. Still plenty of conservatives there though. Get outside of those areas and you will leave behind the liberal stronghold.
Know that "Californians" do get blamed for any changes here. From DFG laws, conservation laws, increased taxes and so forth. Be humble, be grateful. ...and bring a job or position yourself very carefully before you make the move.
It has been a fantastic change for us.
Things are different here and I'm hoping they stay that way. I'm doing my best to help make sure they stay that way.

But yea, you need to visit. Drive around and see the difference.

Old 10-28-2016, 04:38 PM

88 posts, read 130,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TohobitPeak View Post
This myth is an exaggeration imo because there are a lot of Californians who have moved to Boise and Idaho.
Well, I am sure there are many Californians who move to Boise and/or Idaho in general and cause problems. There are a few bad seeds in every state, I would reckon.

I'm quite conservative (and even born and raised in California -- *gasp*), so I do get it.

I also don't like judging a book before I even read the inside cover. Just as there are not-so-rational Californians, I would reckon that could be said of residents from every states (as I mentioned above).

Old 10-28-2016, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelhead69 View Post
Tons of Californians here, some good, some bad. Best advice I could give would be the swap your plates, take a deep breath and just go about your business. Enjoy the change and adopt the pace and the culture here.
If done right you will be able to spot the ex-Californians' that either are oblivious are don't care to adapt. They will be the ones cutting you off in traffic, driving too fast through parking lots and not giving pedestrians right of way, talking loudly about "taking over" whilst in line at Costco, driving expensive cars that nobody cares about here, Raiders and 49'ers gear draped all over and other such superficial things.
If you don't notice that behavior you may want to re-evaluate your own.
Downtown (where Trader Joes is) and the North End are Cali Liberal enclaves. look for buddha statues and Tibetan prayer flags. Doesn't help that its also where most of the college kids have their frat houses or whatever. Still plenty of conservatives there though. Get outside of those areas and you will leave behind the liberal stronghold.
Know that "Californians" do get blamed for any changes here. From DFG laws, conservation laws, increased taxes and so forth. Be humble, be grateful. ...and bring a job or position yourself very carefully before you make the move.
It has been a fantastic change for us.
Things are different here and I'm hoping they stay that way. I'm doing my best to help make sure they stay that way.

But yea, you need to visit. Drive around and see the difference.
Thanks for the advice! I'm a conservative and a guy who pretty much just keeps to himself. If I do see an injustice, I won't be shy about voicing my opinion, but I also believe tremendously in state pride.

"When in Rome, do as the Romans do..."

Old 10-28-2016, 07:13 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,827,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedology View Post
Thanks for the advice! I'm a conservative and a guy who pretty much just keeps to himself. If I do see an injustice, I won't be shy about voicing my opinion, but I also believe tremendously in state pride.

"When in Rome, do as the Romans do..."
If you are a freedom loving conservative/libertarian, the only "Idahoans" who will hate you are of the liberal variety. Most of these liberals are actually immigrants from California/East Coast..

And, as one other poster said, please bring a job and not just lots of cash to drive up the prices, like the wealthy Californian retirees/millionaires have done in North Idaho and the rest of the Northwest. Many Californians came here to buy summer homes and kick all the locals out of their most pristine spots. The helped raise prices, build more overpriced resorts and fancy restaurants, but certainly didn't help the economy or raise the incomes of the area at all.

At least Seattle is a business city and has had healthy growth. The IT muscle and corporate infrastructure of the city helps offset the wealthy retirees/transplants to the area. Contray to what people say here, Seattle's living to income ratio is better than most of Idaho. I was shocked to see how professional salaries for reputable positions at many of the large firms here pay salaries that are less than what assistant managers at a fast food joints make in Seattle. Seriously, marketing and sales managers making $40,000 a year salaries. Then add the 8% state income tax and the rising rents in the city of Boise. It isn't easy scraping a living in this city. In North Idaho, you need California money to survive there now as the salaries and jobs are even more dismal up North, despite higher cost of living.

Old 10-28-2016, 08:57 PM

100 posts, read 143,522 times
You know,I seem to remember back when you were looking at moving here from Seattle, you weren't happy there either. Kind of makes me wonder if you were happy anywhere.... No wonder you didn't fit in here or there.

When I cam to SoCal, I was a californian even before I got there. When I move to Idaho, I will be an Idahoan the day I get there.

Yeah, I remember those days in Oregon. I said that we should just close the border to anyone with an Oregon plate on their car. Of course, most of the ones that didn't want Californians up there were from here themselves....

Flame suit on....

Old 10-28-2016, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outta_Here View Post
You know,I seem to remember back when you were looking at moving here from Seattle, you weren't happy there either. Kind of makes me wonder if you were happy anywhere.... No wonder you didn't fit in here or there.

When I cam to SoCal, I was a californian even before I got there. When I move to Idaho, I will be an Idahoan the day I get there.

Yeah, I remember those days in Oregon. I said that we should just close the border to anyone with an Oregon plate on their car. Of course, most of the ones that didn't want Californians up there were from here themselves....

Flame suit on....

Seattle is far from ideal .. But, software jobs are going for $100,000+ in my area, no state income tax and well I do miss the greenery, trees and water right out your window even in the heart of the city.

I was stuck in a horrible family business for 15 years which ended with me getting cheated, manipulated and developing nerve damage.

Basically, I wouldn't be happy anywhere in my previous miserable existence. I have a whole new life to look forward to now once I can have my hand stop going numb and not be in pain all the time.

Anyway, I could probably live anywhere in the country with my profession, but I am moving back to SEattle (probably).. I've lived there for 4+ years and I guess I didn't appreciate all the goods it had to offer.

Boise is a pretty lonely place for a single, non-Christian/non-LDS, professional guy who is past the college age but still to young to retire. However, Boise is utopia for certain demographic of people without a doubt. I would hate to see the liberal migrants come and mess it all up and they are already doing so. Just look at the constant demands for tax increases and gun restrictions by the "adopted" Idahoans. City council meetings I hear are becoming a liberal thrash fest. Knocking on all those Good Ol Boy/Crazy Conservatives is favorite pastime of the Liberal City/State of Boise.

Anyhow, I will be leaving, so the state now has one less conservative.. People always said us Coasties are a nuisance. As if Oregon really has a habitable coast .. I'm sure plenty will rejoice at the loss of one more yahoo/IT freak. I am the worst of both worlds. The Puget Sound is habitable to both the yahoo and IT freak variety.

Old 10-28-2016, 10:19 PM

51 posts, read 71,660 times
Know what ID and/or Boise is, and what it isn't. When I relocate in the next year, I do not intend to "Californicate" Idaho - since I am leaving CA for many of the reasons commonly cited. Why someone would relocate to ID from CA, only to support many of the policies that made CA what it is (and exactly what ID isn't)... is beyond me. My $.02

Old 10-28-2016, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAGringo View Post
Know what ID and/or Boise is, and what it isn't. When I relocate in the next year, I do not intend to "Californicate" Idaho - since I am leaving CA for many of the reasons commonly cited. Why someone would relocate to ID from CA, only to support many of the policies that made CA what it is (and exactly what ID isn't)... is beyond me. My $.02
Gringo, I think you and I may very well be in the same boat. I'd love to chat with your thinking (via private message or such).

I, for one, am just tired of the lifestyle in CA (I live in Silicon Valley). It's just a dog-eat-dog mentality and people are not NEARLY as friendly as other places in this country. They don't have time to be.

Plus, I'd like to move somewhere where rain is not a four-letter word.

Old 10-28-2016, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedology View Post
Gringo, I think you and I may very well be in the same boat. I'd love to chat with your thinking (via private message or such).

I, for one, am just tired of the lifestyle in CA (I live in Silicon Valley). It's just a dog-eat-dog mentality and people are not NEARLY as friendly as other places in this country. They don't have time to be.

Plus, I'd like to move somewhere where rain is not a four-letter word.
Doesn't rain much in the Treasure Valley...

Hope you guys like Idaho ... It is getting huge and I would not doubt that the Treasure Valley could grow to even 2 million people in the next 10 years.

I watched Portland grow from a small gritty, blue collar city in the 90s of around 1 million to a packed metropolis of now over 3 million people. People use to laugh about it, saying it could never happen, too much rain.. And , Boise's weather is a million times nicer than Portland's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: