Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 06:35 PM

6,357 posts, read 7,768,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T M H View Post
Curious to know if you can provide a source for this vital statistic - maybe a link?
Per: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...f=upshot#Idaho

as of 2012, only 12% of Idahoans were born in California.

In 2012, the population of Idaho was 1,596,000. Twelve percent of that is 191,520. But, in 2012 the population of Boise was 212,237, (clearly not possible for half the population of Boise to be California refugees). The population of Ada County in 2012 was 408,853. That's your "half", but means that there are no Californians in the rest of the state.

Obviously RotseCherut is exaggerating, but you can see how it is so easy to do. Being the largest contributor to Idaho's immigration, the 'Golden State' is an easy and convenient "target".

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Last edited by volosong; 10-31-2016 at 06:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2016, 07:08 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,831,396 times
Volo, I guess I was under the impression half of people here are from California, because so many people I meet are from California.. I don't know if any of you went to that art studio downtown near the Zion Bank. There is a large poster that reads something like this, "Come To Idaho.. 500,000 Californians Couldn't Be Wrong". I have heard names like "California North" and several other little puns over the year.

I guess I can see now I really am exaggerating. I will have to say that when I lived here 5 years ago the place seemed considerably smaller.. I wonder what the population of transplants are now at the end of 2016. Literally, when I came back to live in the Treasure Valley a second time, I hardly even recognized Boise and Meridian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedology View Post
Just a quick response - I love Ashland...I went there about 20 years ago and was charmed instantly. I'm sure it's changed a lot, according to what you wrote.
I really like Ashland a lot and have many fond memories there. Including living in my car homeless in the Siskiyou mountains above town for a short time. That was quite a while ago. I grew up there as a kid, even went to college there for a short time at SOSC (pronounced SOCK), which is now called SOU (Southern Oregon University). You are right, it is not the same town at all.. Most of the younger and native blood moved out of there. Speaking of towns with absolutely no jobs, well that is Ashland. It was ok, when you could get a 1 bedroom apartment for $400 and get a job at one of restaurants downtown that could pay your bills. Today it is a retirees/vacationer's town for fun. I'm told many homes up on the forested Siskiyou side are actually second summer homes for the wealthy elite. That is becoming more and more a phenomenon in Oregon. Where I lived on the Oregon Coast, half the homes were vacant most of the year, as they were mainly used as summer homes for the wealthy. The local yocals were the ones living in shacks and more humble abodes. You could usually tell a local from a vacationer/summer resident. A lot of people I knew actually moved out to Medford (aka Dreadford) , Phoenix and surrounding towns as Ashland became outrageously expensive. Quite a shame, but that's how things go as they say.

Last edited by RotseCherut; 10-31-2016 at 07:32 PM..

Old 10-31-2016, 08:25 PM

160 posts, read 252,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Per: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...f=upshot#Idaho

as of 2012, only 12% of Idahoans were born in California.

In 2012, the population of Idaho was 1,596,000. Twelve percent of that is 191,520. But, in 2012 the population of Boise was 212,237, (clearly not possible for half the population of Boise to be California refugees). The population of Ada County in 2012 was 408,853. That's your "half", but means that there are no Californians in the rest of the state.

Obviously RotseCherut is exaggerating, but you can see how it is so easy to do. Being the largest contributor to Idaho's immigration, the 'Golden State' is an easy and convenient "target".
Thanks. The truth is I already knew the answer, and have seen the link you provided. The facts are readily available everywhere, so I fail to see how easy it is to exaggerate the truth no matter how it's twisted, nor do I understand why anyone in Boise would want to make a convenient target of anyone who moved here from California, Timbuktu or anywhere else.

But I agree with what others have said here - the only place the myth exists about Boise folks not liking Californians is in the forum.

Old 10-31-2016, 10:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,043 times
I'm also thinking of relocating to Boise & could relate to your posting, except I'd have to substitute NC. Similar discontent with crowds, traffic, crime, even periodic droughts like you. It seems as if half of NY/NJ is fleeing to this area, with many bringing their type A personalities & driving pathologies with them.

I visited Boise a few weeks ago. Like you, I found it to be a lovely mid-sized city (not too big, not too small....but juuuuuust right), with nice people, a humming downtown and beautiful, varied countryside. Being originally from the Midwest, I came to this conclusion: Boise = where Omaha meets the Rocky Mtns., with a dash of desert & pinch of northern CA thrown in.

And big sky! I've so missed that while living on the east coast--trees dominate. Rarely catch a low sunset. Anyway, I'm leaning toward making the big move in the spring. Exciting change, but difficult too (the starting over aspect). My mindset is similar to yours.....I want to embrace Boise for what it is: a smaller, saner, friendlier city than what surrounds me now. That it's freedom loving and more on the conservative side is fine by me too!

Old 11-01-2016, 05:20 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,282,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinkingwest View Post
I'm also thinking of relocating to Boise & could relate to your posting, except I'd have to substitute NC. Similar discontent with crowds, traffic, crime, even periodic droughts like you. It seems as if half of NY/NJ is fleeing to this area, with many bringing their type A personalities & driving pathologies with them.

I visited Boise a few weeks ago. Like you, I found it to be a lovely mid-sized city (not too big, not too small....but juuuuuust right), with nice people, a humming downtown and beautiful, varied countryside. Being originally from the Midwest, I came to this conclusion: Boise = where Omaha meets the Rocky Mtns., with a dash of desert & pinch of northern CA thrown in.

And big sky! I've so missed that while living on the east coast--trees dominate. Rarely catch a low sunset. Anyway, I'm leaning toward making the big move in the spring. Exciting change, but difficult too (the starting over aspect). My mindset is similar to yours.....I want to embrace Boise for what it is: a smaller, saner, friendlier city than what surrounds me now. That it's freedom loving and more on the conservative side is fine by me too!
Ditto Florida.
I'm suffocating here.

Old 11-01-2016, 06:37 AM

2 posts, read 2,662 times
It obviously is a problem, and the "myth" has been around in the northwest states, including Idaho, for well before this forum was around. So the idea that Boise/Idahoans don't like Californians comes from this forum is silly and false.

It gets talked about here. A lot. Almost every Californian that posts here looking for information asks this question. They ask it because they've heard its an issue from somewhere. I highly doubt they're asking the question here because they read about it here. They'd already have their answer.

By the way, that's the very definition of echo chamber (which this forum tends to be).

Another poster hit the nail on the head when he or she talked about the equity rich driving up prices. We saw it before the recession, and now we saw it just the past two years. Houses in certain areas that were between $200k and $300k are now well into the mid $400-upper $600k. Does anyone think wages increased that much? Who are buying these houses?

We had 4 homes redone on our street last year. Bought for near $200k; now they're trying to sell them for mid to upper $300's. We asked who is buying these things, as the neighborhood just isn't at that range yet - they said, simply "we build them for Californians - they don't know any better, nor do they care."

Take it for what you will.

Old 11-01-2016, 07:44 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,901,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinkingwest View Post

Boise may be more on the conservative side when compared to much larger liberal cities/metro areas, but Boise is not as conservative as some who don't live here think it is.

Old 11-01-2016, 02:57 PM

731 posts, read 958,557 times
[mod cut]

No, Californians are not hated here. Sure there are those who attempt to blame every problem they perceive on a particular group, but for the most part, people here are pretty kind and welcoming.

Most of the Californians I know (incl. myself) who have relocated here, come for similar reasons - we LIKE Idaho and that fact that it's not a "nanny-state" and the 2nd amendment is taking seriously.

Good luck to you, let us know where you choose!

Last edited by volosong; 11-01-2016 at 10:28 PM.. Reason: inflamatory and unnecessary comment

Old 11-01-2016, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eqttrdr View Post
Its the sheer NUMBER that are moving to Idaho ... NOT any one individual themselves.

Locals can't afford anything any more as way too many outsiders are pushing up the prices of homes and traffic is horrendous when compared to even a couple years ago.

The more Cali people that more here.... the more that move here...

THAT is the problem... there is no end. The cities, the state cannot support the influx properly.

Boise and CDA are turning into Bend, which is turning into Austin, TX.... etc

And you know all these people moving into ID are from CA? Not that maybe they come from other States as well? It's quite possible the increase in population might have something to do with LDS procreation also.

Old 11-01-2016, 05:19 PM

[mod cut: orphaned, referenced post deleted]

I'll reiterate - population growth cannot be blamed on one group (in this case, Californians). There are a MULTITUDE of reasons why any particular State has an increase in population, as stated.

Last edited by volosong; 11-01-2016 at 06:36 PM.. Reason: orphaned, referenced post edited
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: