Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 11:29 AM

347 posts, read 402,018 times

Advertisements

i'm actually considering going to studless winter tires for my scoob and run them all year round - right now I have summer tires on the 17s and have been switching to studded arctic claws in the winter on 16" wheels
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2017, 06:50 AM

9,977 posts, read 5,673,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
i'm actually considering going to studless winter tires for my scoob and run them all year round - right now I have summer tires on the 17s and have been switching to studded arctic claws in the winter on 16" wheels
Unless you rarely drive this particular car in the summer, you don't want to use winter tires year round. Winter tires use a soft compound that wear out very quickly when driven in non-winter conditions. Plus those big spongy tread blocks with lots of siping will compromise handling in warmer weather conditions.

Old 10-12-2017, 11:54 AM

347 posts, read 402,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Unless you rarely drive this particular car in the summer, you don't want to use winter tires year round. Winter tires use a soft compound that wear out very quickly when driven in non-winter conditions. Plus those big spongy tread blocks with lots of siping will compromise handling in warmer weather conditions.
I don't drive it that often in the summer - that's what the convertible is for

Old 11-14-2017, 08:47 PM

100 posts, read 143,565 times
I'm looking for an All Terrain or winter set of tires for my wife's 2013 Honda CR-V. We will have to make a few trips from SoCal to Nampa yet this winter, so studded tires are out of the question.

I looked at several of the tires mentioned in this thread such as the BFG AT KO2, Nitto Terra Grappler G2 and the Bridgestone Blizzak WS80. Of these three, only the Blizzak was available in our size: 225/65R17.

A couple of the reviews on the Blizzaks were not too kind. I really liked the Nittos, especially the mileage but the smallest size available is about two sizes larger than I have.

We may end up getting another set of wheels later but that option is not available for North/South trips.

Suggestions, Please!

Old 11-15-2017, 08:42 AM

134 posts, read 246,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outta_Here View Post
We will have to make a few trips from SoCal to Nampa
yet this winter, so studded tires are out of the question.
Non sequitur.
Why are you eliminating studded snows as an option?

Old 11-15-2017, 09:04 AM

6,354 posts, read 7,762,172 times
Quote:
I'm looking for an All Terrain or winter set of tires for my wife's 2013 Honda CR-V. We will have to make a few trips from SoCal to Nampa yet this winter...

Suggestions, Please!
For the AWD RAV4, I got a set of Yokohama Geolandar A/T M+S (and with the little mountain snow triangle symbol). Same exact size as you need. Speed is rated at 102H and wear at 600 A B, which is pretty good. I purchased them based on the reviews at TireRack.com. My local tire shop had to order them, (tires like these aren't needed in SoCal, so they are rarely 'in stock').

I've had them on since the spring and they are wearing well on the dry tarmac. Better than I had hoped. Only had the one snow event up here in NID the other week and they worked well enough. No complaints. When the time comes, I'll replace this set with another of the same.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...dar+A%2FT+G015

Yoko have another set of snow tires, but they aren't rated as highly by owners. iceGUARD iG51v

- - -

Selway, if I interpreted what he wrote, he will need to ride the studs in Nevada and California on dry roads. Don't know about NV, but I'm pretty sure CA frowns upon studded tires on dry roads, especially in the lowlands.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 11-15-2017, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelwaySasquatch View Post
Non sequitur.
Why are you eliminating studded snows as an option?

As you may have noticed, volosong got it right. Studded tires don't really work too well down in sunny SoCal but there are passes I have to cross to get to Idaho that require chains or all weather tires.

When we are up there permanently, studded tires are definitely in order.

Old 11-15-2017, 09:40 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,896,892 times
To the newcomers from CA, please remember to only put on studded tires when the conditions warrant it because they do cause wear on the roadways. If you are living in the mountains it is a different scenario, but if you are living in the Treasure Valley studs are not needed unless we have an abnormal winter such as last winter and even then studs are not going to do you any good in Boise when February comes around because the snow rarely sticks that late into the season on the valley floor.

Old 11-15-2017, 10:08 AM

Roger That!!! My issue is that my driveway is very steep and short...not the best up here but it is what it is. I asked a neighbor that has a driveway nearly as steep what he did. He said he has studs on all of his cars. He said his father-in-law drove up last winter, got out of the car, and watched his car slide down the driveway.

I would really not wish to experience that one. I can just see myself going into my two car garage sideways.

Old 11-15-2017, 10:11 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,228,721 times
Quote:
... A couple of the reviews on the Blizzaks were not too kind....
It honestly surprises me that you'd even find a couple unkind reviews for Blizzaks. Mine are the best snow tires I've ever owned, and by a noticeable margin. The only possible negative is that they wear fast on hot, dry pavement. On snow and ice, what they're designed for, I've never had anything that comes close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area