Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2017, 01:53 PM

149 posts, read 175,546 times

Advertisements

Hi!
We are moving to Nampa ID... We want to start a garden , just like the one we have here.... The soil in the property we are buying was trampled by cows for awhile, so we need a good Top soil... Any recommendations? It can be in Boise, does not matter... We just need good one( organic, preferred)
thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 02:56 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
If cows lived on it, most likely all you need to do is to fluff it up. There should already be organic matter in the soil.

Old 08-03-2017, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
If cows lived on it, most likely all you need to do is to fluff it up. There should already be organic matter in the soil.
Hmm. Interesting thought... I did not think of that... I heard the cows tend to "trample" the soil making it compacted.... I know chickesn do if you let them trample it for awhile....

Old 08-03-2017, 10:37 AM

33 posts, read 48,702 times
Default Soil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalijaasbj View Post
Hmm. Interesting thought... I did not think of that... I heard the cows tend to "trample" the soil making it compacted.... I know chickesn do if you let them trample it for awhile....
You know this is a great question. I would have to agree, if you did have cows on your land prior to building on it then it might be okay. The only thing is that some areas the developer brings in topsoil to level the land which could impact the soil. I know this because I am in a new build area that is surrounded with pastures and farm land. However, the developer is bringing in top soil to level the land. The frustrating part is that this soil I've noticed takes longer for grass to take root and sometime has issues growing with a consistency. Meaning that I have grass growing but it looks patchy like the grass is not growing as thick. I would go to a dairy to see if you can simply take some manure. This would be the best thing and possibly the cheapest thing to do. If you don't want to take that approach. Go to Zamzows and get some top soil from them and ask if the soil is nitrogen rich.

Old 08-03-2017, 10:55 AM

347 posts, read 402,330 times
+1 on zamzows

Old 08-03-2017, 05:34 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,282,844 times
Try planting annual rye grass to replenish the soil.

Old 08-04-2017, 09:04 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,495,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lluvia View Post
Try planting annual rye grass to replenish the soil.
Mixed with hairy vetch. Then in the spring, plow or rototill the greenery in to break up the soil. You should have a wonderful soil to plant your garden or sod.

Old 08-05-2017, 02:18 PM

Thank you so much to all of you....I will probably just get a bit of soil for the perenials I will bring with me from Seattle.... Other than that I will first evaluate the soil first as soon as we have moved
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area