Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2018, 11:56 AM

18 posts, read 17,462 times

Advertisements

My old '92 pickup is finally dying, so it's time to buy a new car. But, gosh golly, what to choose? I was hoping someone on here could help.

I commute from Boise to Mountain Home for work, so it has to have good MPG, at least 25. And it needs to be able to handle the snow and ice in winter. I had to call out of work a few days during Snowmaggedon 2016-2017 because the roads were so bad; I'd like a car that can handle snowy interstate.

A high ground clearance would be nice. When I lived in Spokane the side streets never got plowed, so you'd be driving over a mound of snow probably a foot or more high. And a short frame length (compact) for Boise parking garages and easy parallel parking would be nice too.

My budget is around $20k. I really just want something fuel-efficient and winter-safe to get me to work and back safely and reliably.

I'd appreciate any input! I've been researching for a looong time and I keep going around in circles.

Thanks guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 01:18 PM

1,218 posts, read 3,468,333 times
Subaru Crosstrek or Subaru Forester. You could probably get a new base model around 20k

Old 05-01-2018, 02:52 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,762,172 times
Seconded the Forester recommendation. On your budget, I'd look for one coming off lease or one about two/three years old.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 05-01-2018, 08:11 PM

278 posts, read 906,170 times
Get a cheap compact car with good MPG and get a good set of winter tires for it. Ground clearance and AWD/4WD are overrated unless you're driving through deep unplowed snow (unlikely on public roads).

Old 05-01-2018, 09:13 PM

18 posts, read 17,462 times
I'd read that the Crosstrek doesn't have good traction on slick roads. Some sort of issue with the AWD or something. Is that an exception rather than a rule?

Old 05-02-2018, 08:26 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,265,652 times
We have a Toyota Rav4 and love it. Approx 25.5 mpg, has clearance and AWD along with cargo room.

Old 05-02-2018, 10:17 AM

133 posts, read 289,586 times
I would get a Ford Fusion Energi. Holy cow, the thing gets over 40 mpg and it's not even a hybrid! I drive from Boise to Lehi twice a month, and have never had a problem with snow on I-84 between Bosie and Mtn Home. The tricky part is between Sublett and Snowville, or around Howell, UT. I'm driving a Mitsu Galant with 155K miles.

Old 05-02-2018, 12:17 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,762,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassypint View Post
I'd read that the Crosstrek doesn't have good traction on slick roads. Some sort of issue with the AWD or something. Is that an exception rather than a rule?
This is something that is best asked in the Subaru forum.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/subaru/

Like cleosmom, I also have an AWD RAV4. I get slightly better mileage than her, but then I'm not a very aggressive driver, (not saying that she is). I do very little city driving, which helps mileage too. On my long-distance drives, I easily get 27.5-28.5 mpg, depending on which way the winds blows and how fast I'm moving. As she says, lots of room inside too. Even though I'm 6'3", I can stretch out in the back to sleep, and have on occasion.

However, even though I have never had any issues in snow, Subaru really does have the best AWD system in the industry, hence the recommendation. Tires make a big difference too.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 05-04-2018, 06:48 PM

236 posts, read 195,555 times
I would get an AWD Subaru. I owned a Legacy for yrs and it was fantastic. I now own a Rav4. I like it alot but prefer my Subaru. They handle so well in bad weather/snow/slick streets. You can always take a weekend and just test drive a few choices- see what you like. All the best.

Old 05-05-2018, 02:20 PM

51 posts, read 72,055 times
Its not what you were asking for, but coming from a pickup. I would sacrifice the extra mpg and get an ecoboost F150.
You still get all the benefits of a truck, like towing and hauling, and you give up about 5 mpg.
Totally get it if you have no use for a truck, but its amazing how often I need mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area