Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 10:25 PM

2,949 posts, read 1,355,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
It almost never snows the 3rd week of August.
banjomike, I was hoping you would weigh in with your in-depth analysis on this. You never disappoint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2019, 10:46 AM

133 posts, read 289,691 times
I judge this question by when Costco starts selling tomato plants. This is typically May. I have driven through west Yellowstone during April and ran into a blinding snowstorm where I could not see the car in front of me if it was more than 20 feet away.

Old 02-04-2019, 11:29 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by self-made View Post
banjomike, I was hoping you would weigh in with your in-depth analysis on this. You never disappoint.
I intended it to add a little humor, but it's actually true. I've seen snow fall here in every month of the year except August.

Folks in Idaho Falls still talk about the little snow flurry we got one morning on the 4th of July here, back in the 1970s. There's always a big parade here, and there were a lot of blue shivering little kids that day along the parade route, including 3 of my own. but by mid-day, it was back to July again, sort of. It did stay pretty cold for a couple of days.

Idaho's location and topography makes the air above so turbulent that warm air rising can always end up making a little snow. During that famous snowfall, the ground level temps never got close to freezing, but I remember the night of the 3rd as being very, very cold for July.

Like my old Dad used to say, it can go down to 33º and still not freeze, and he was right. A couple of degrees at ground level can make a huge difference. I've seen an early freeze hit only in the swales and low spots on a piece of ground that looks pretty flat and level quite often here.

Life in Idaho is life in a cold state. There's no getting around that fact. The entire mountain west has always been a territory of temperature extremes and always will be. If someone desires a life in milder, more humid climes, it's best to look elsewhere.

I was thinking about this just the other day after I dressed to go outside for a while. Growing up on a ranch, I learned very young to dress for the day's possibility of turning cold unexpectedly. Once you are out in the middle of nature, if it's hot, a person can always peel off a layer of clothing, but if it's cold and you don't have that layer, you are going to be cold for a very long time before you'll have the opportunity to become warm again.
For me, that preparation became habitual decades ago. I rely on layers to keep me warm, even though I do own a sub-zero coat and some overalls. Those are only worn when I know I'm going to be outside all day long with no breaks to go inside.

Around town, layers are the way I keep warm, and they all have buttons or zippers so I can open up one or two at a time if need be.

At this time of year, while I have lots of miracle fabric fleecy and some goose down, my good old heavy Woolrich 100% wool sweater is still my best friend.
I've worn it for well over 20 years, and it's as soft as a baby's butt from all the washings I've given it. Wool tends to self-regulate a person's temp better than anything else I've ever found when it's knit just right. And it insulates even when it's wet.

That's Old Mother Idaho. She's a beautiful old lady, but she can get really cranky with her children at any time of the year, so life here requires some self-protection from her sudden moods.

Last edited by banjomike; 02-04-2019 at 11:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area