Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 08:21 PM

102 posts, read 134,146 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. My wife and I will be retiring soon in either the Medford Oregon or Boise area. Both are really beautiful in their own way. I would really appreciate some answers from those that have researched both locations for retirement and made their decision. Also any regrets?

1. Which are has the best overall fishing and outdoor activities choices?
2. Which has the best medicare options and how hard is it to be accepted and seen by doctors?
3. Overall friendliness of people?
4. I know Medford has generally higher temperatures and less snow which we like, but are there other considerations that you would only know from living there?
5. What are your overall impressions of both areas? Surprises? Anything that really stands out good or bad?

Thanks for any answers to any questions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2019, 08:54 PM

6,358 posts, read 7,770,912 times
I'll offer a few thoughts, but keep in mind that I ended up in North Idaho. However, I did seriously consider and investigate Boise and briefly Medford.

1.) Not a fisherman, but I'd give the nod to Idaho for "outdoor activities".

2.) I have Aetna medicare, an employer sponsored plan, (yes, I'm retired - it's a retiree benefit). I found it very, very difficult finding a doctor to be my primary care physician. Finally found one who was accepting new diabetic patients through a neighbor who also sees him.

3.) "Overall friendliness of people?" If the whole country were as friendly, considerate, and respectful as Idahoans, we would be living in a much more pleasant society. The friendliness of the people was the second major factor for selecting Idaho as my retirement home. (First factor is the natural beauty, third and cinching factor was how motorized vehicles respect and interact with bicyclists.) Cannot comment on friendliness of Medford folk, but in my very limited interaction with them, found them to be as friendly as Idahoans.

4.) I nixed both Boise and Medford because I did not want to live in the summer heat, (because of potential heat exhaustion and heat stroke while cycling). Both are too hot in the dead of summer for me. North Idaho, not so hot.

5.) Overall impressions? Way much better than where I lived my whole previous life. Biggest surprise was the length of daylight hours in winter. Wasn't prepared for that and it affected me greatly. This is my second winter, and a healthy daily dose of vitamin B as well as more sunny days this winter have made it much more enjoyable. Snow is a non-issue, in fact, I kinda like it because everybody drives much more carefully.

Also nixed Oregon because I like to pump my own gasoline. Maybe a silly reason to some people, but it is the way I feel. NOBODY puts gasoline in my Vespa except for me! Too easy to overflow and spill gas all over the hot engine and metal body.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 03-07-2019, 09:45 PM

Thanks for that detailed reply! Interesting that you found it hard to get a primary care doctor. We have Kaiser and I've heard that it's very difficult to find good doctors that will accept Medicare just about anywhere now.

Old 03-08-2019, 03:05 PM

209 posts, read 316,705 times
I’ve only been retired to Boise for 8 months, but I’ll try to answer your questions. I’ve driven through Medford, but it’s been quite a while.

1. Which are has the best overall fishing and outdoor activities choices?

I know people go fishing in the Boise River downtown and there are plenty of rivers and lakes within an easy drive. Other outdoor activities are plentiful both inside and outside the city.

2. Which has the best medicare options and how hard is it to be accepted and seen by doctors?

I’m not on Medicare, but I believe Boiseis still considerably larger than Medford which should makeiteasierto find doctors.

3. Overall friendliness of people?

People are very friendly and helpful here.

4. I know Medford has generally higher temperatures and less snow which we like, but are there other considerations that you would only know from living there?

Summers can be hot and sometimes smoky, but before noon is generally comfortable even in midsummer and it cools off at night. This winter has been mild, so I don’t think I can judge the winter yet.

5. What are your overall impressions of both areas? Surprises? Anything that really stands out good or bad?

Medford when I was last there seemed kind of a bland place with not much in the way of restaurants or entertainment. Boise has many great locally-owned restaurants and a performing arts center that hosts concerts and shows of many kinds. Downtown is walkable and attractive and the greenbelt is great. I have no regrets about moving here, but it depends what you’re looking for.

Old 03-09-2019, 11:50 AM

Thanks for the post. Can't wait to visit.

Old 03-09-2019, 07:48 PM

285 posts, read 541,104 times
Default Boise is our choice.

We lived in OR, Bend, for 10 years. But we are very familiar with the Medford area as we lived in Eureka and visited up there often.

But we decided to leave OR because it was becoming politically and socially too much like CA. While S. OR is not like Portland or Eugene, the I-5ers set the political tone for the state and we could see what was going to happen; as it has now.

Now to your questions. Medford can be very hot in the summer, like Boise, but not as cold in the winter. Occasional snow in both places, but also both places can have periods of fog and inversions.

Fishing seems a big activity in both places, but in Boise I think they are easier to travel to. The paper had a story yesterday of one of the Boise State Football players catching a nice salmon or steelhead right in town in the Boise river.

Idaho people are very friendly. I am Asian, married to a caucasian woman (safron and rice team) and we have not had any problems. I would suspect Medford is similar from my experience.We are fairly conservative and our city, Meridian, is also. We can carry guns w/o permits and I even know people who own machine guns here.

We would never move back to OR.

Old 03-11-2019, 10:26 AM

5,586 posts, read 5,017,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlyee3 View Post
We lived in OR, Bend, for 10 years. But we are very familiar with the Medford area as we lived in Eureka and visited up there often.

But we decided to leave OR because it was becoming politically and socially too much like CA. While S. OR is not like Portland or Eugene, the I-5ers set the political tone for the state and we could see what was going to happen; as it has now.

Now to your questions. Medford can be very hot in the summer, like Boise, but not as cold in the winter. Occasional snow in both places, but also both places can have periods of fog and inversions.

Fishing seems a big activity in both places, but in Boise I think they are easier to travel to. The paper had a story yesterday of one of the Boise State Football players catching a nice salmon or steelhead right in town in the Boise river.

Idaho people are very friendly. I am Asian, married to a caucasian woman (safron and rice team) and we have not had any problems. I would suspect Medford is similar from my experience.We are fairly conservative and our city, Meridian, is also. We can carry guns w/o permits and I even know people who own machine guns here.

We would never move back to OR.
Are there less Asian population in North Idaho? I understand in the Boise area there is a higher population of Asians and Asian restaurants. Is this true?
Montana and Wyoming don't appear to have little to no Asian population so Asian cuisine is much less present in those two state I hear.

Old 03-11-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Are there less Asian population in North Idaho? I understand in the Boise area there is a higher population of Asians and Asian restaurants. Is this true?
Montana and Wyoming don't appear to have little to no Asian population so Asian cuisine is much less present in those two state I hear.
If Oregon is becoming more like California, I have heard the same of Idaho as a whole but especially as you get closer to Boise there are more Californians moving there?

Old 03-11-2019, 09:20 PM

285 posts, read 541,104 times
Default Asians in ID?

There are, of course, more Asians in the Boise area than probably the rest of ID combined. but for those of us who know Asian foods, most of us would say Boise doesn't rank very high for Viet, Chinese, Japanese, Korean foods. Thai is a bit better, but not much. A real shame for Chinese since boise once had a thriving Chinese population. But I guess we got too educated and dispersed out. We still have to travel to Portland, Seattle or Las Vegas for very good Asian foods. I didn't mention SF as the Bay Area, my original home, as it is a lost cause to me.

As to the question is ID becoming like CA. Too some extent those of us here see the number of Calis moving to the area, but I can't say it is moving as quick to the left as OR did. In fact in the north end of the state, here is a story that shows the opposite occurred:
https://www.hcn.org/issues/45.8/how-...ed-north-idaho

I characterize the Boise area as being like a jelly donut. The squishes seem to move into Boise proper (the Jelly center) while the conservatives are the more rigid part of the donut and live out in Meridian and the more rural areas around Boise. I might also mention that all the major state officials are Repubs and probablu more than 80% of the legislature is also.

But yes, we are getting a lot of inflow and the traffic is showing it. Although we are within the last decade immigrants, we still mumble about all the out of state cars we now see. Not so much that we know their politics, but just because what all these new people bring in traffic and bustle. We actually welcome people who know why they left CA, OR, WA and don't want to do the same things to ID.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Carlyee3; 03-11-2019 at 09:30 PM.. Reason: additional facts

Old 03-12-2019, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlyee3 View Post
There are, of course, more Asians in the Boise area than probably the rest of ID combined. but for those of us who know Asian foods, most of us would say Boise doesn't rank very high for Viet, Chinese, Japanese, Korean foods. Thai is a bit better, but not much. A real shame for Chinese since boise once had a thriving Chinese population. But I guess we got too educated and dispersed out. We still have to travel to Portland, Seattle or Las Vegas for very good Asian foods. I didn't mention SF as the Bay Area, my original home, as it is a lost cause to me.

As to the question is ID becoming like CA. Too some extent those of us here see the number of Calis moving to the area, but I can't say it is moving as quick to the left as OR did. In fact in the north end of the state, here is a story that shows the opposite occurred:
https://www.hcn.org/issues/45.8/how-...ed-north-idaho

I characterize the Boise area as being like a jelly donut. The squishes seem to move into Boise proper (the Jelly center) while the conservatives are the more rigid part of the donut and live out in Meridian and the more rural areas around Boise. I might also mention that all the major state officials are Repubs and probablu more than 80% of the legislature is also.

But yes, we are getting a lot of inflow and the traffic is showing it. Although we are within the last decade immigrants, we still mumble about all the out of state cars we now see. Not so much that we know their politics, but just because what all these new people bring in traffic and bustle. We actually welcome people who know why they left CA, OR, WA and don't want to do the same things to ID.

Hope this helps.
It does help-THANK YOU
I am skeptical of North Idaho Panhandle area now because of the large amounts of snow. Otherwise the rural terrain and area with low population appeals to me. Very pretty area.

Yet I would prefer to get into the newest house possible but not having to deal with well water, septic tank plumbing, and prefer gas powered house supplied by a utility company vs. propane.

It appears that all of the above are traits of rural living that is what a house comes with.
I don't want the high maintenance of 5acres of land because I will be too old for that. Maybe 1 acre or less is best so that I can have some privacy and some seclusion.

I know that subdivisions or rural subdivisions in Idaho, Wyoming or Montana are different for the most part than here in Commiefornicate so I may have to settle for that.
I am tired of living in a sardine can.

"We actually welcome people who know why they left CA, OR, WA and don't want to do the same things to ID".

That's the primary reason why I hate CA now even though I was born and raised here. I saw what it was and now what it has become. -very very BAD. You said it perfectly.
"WE GOT TO GET OUTTA THIS PLACE...EVEN THOUGH IT'S THE LAST THING WE EVER DO".

I do not want to go to a cesspool that I just left if that makes any sense. I don't want change it to what I just left which is the reason I am leaving here which should make sense.

Lots of people think people coming from Commiefornicate aka: State of Chaos, CAncer are going to their state to change it. No not me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: