Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2020, 10:04 AM

3 posts, read 3,118 times

Advertisements

Hello Idaho!

Single mama with conservative values (and voting habits) looking to escape the wrath of Cloward and Piven [mod cut] in Oregon. My line of work (non profit management) requires a city commute, but I'm looking to buy rural (20-25 mi out of town). Caveat; I'm bound to ~700 miles from Sacramento (child's father) unless I want to drop gobs on Attny and court fees and go before a liberal judge to defend my conservative values. I'm thinking Boise is too Blue for my blood but hesitate to land too far north given my disdain for shoveling snow. Looking for a reasonably priced conservative neighborhood to raise my second grader. School system concerns, spending budget about 350K and ETA 6-12 months. Hoping to take advantage of the impending recession and get in on something good. Where to look? Where to steer clear of? Please don't hold back! Thank you for your time.

Last edited by volosong; 04-25-2020 at 02:18 PM.. Reason: expletive deleted
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2020, 03:10 PM

99 posts, read 56,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BossyBear View Post
Hello Idaho!

Single mama with conservative values (and voting habits) looking to escape the wrath of Cloward and Piven [mod cut] in Oregon. My line of work (non profit management) requires a city commute, but I'm looking to buy rural (20-25 mi out of town). Caveat; I'm bound to ~700 miles from Sacramento (child's father) unless I want to drop gobs on Attny and court fees and go before a liberal judge to defend my conservative values. I'm thinking Boise is too Blue for my blood but hesitate to land too far north given my disdain for shoveling snow. Looking for a reasonably priced conservative neighborhood to raise my second grader. School system concerns, spending budget about 350K and ETA 6-12 months. Hoping to take advantage of the impending recession and get in on something good. Where to look? Where to steer clear of? Please don't hold back! Thank you for your time.

Good luck on your move. We're looking to Idaho(from ca.) real soon also. For some of the same reasons as you. We looked at Oregon last fall...but...after a visit, and a bit more looking onto it, we decided that Oregon is not for us. Meridan looks to be well within the 700 mile range from Sacramento. What's with the 700? I don't mean to pry....

My future son-in-law just told me about this, so I looked it up. Seems like a good conservative move. It's too bad that the 2A has become a "political position" when it's a guaranteed right in the Constitution. *Sigh*

https://www.nraila.org/articles/2020...ation-into-law

Old 04-25-2020, 04:18 PM

Well the 2A bit is encouraging! The 700 rule pertains to child custody. If I want to move farther out from where DS's father lives, I have to petition the court. Meridian has been recommended before. I did a little digging and discovered lost everything east of Eagle is subject to glyphosate spray. I'm aware of a few activist groups who are pushing back on this as much of the spraying is within very close proximity to public schools. As a parent, this concerns me. Are your daughter and SIL I'm Meridian? I wonder if they can speak to that?

Old 04-26-2020, 08:20 AM

No, they're not moved out there yet. They were planning to in June, but their plan got pushed back a bit as did ours.
IDK much about the glyphosate spraying. Just a quick search shows that the phosphate is mined in S.E Idaho. Other than that, IDK. My daughter probably knows about it. Or she will. IMHO Roundup has been around for what, 45 years? I use it too. Ehhh

Old 04-26-2020, 09:15 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
I suspect that Idaho isn't the best choice for an agricultural activist. Also, maybe not the best for a person who hates shoveling snow. Idaho is, after all, right up against Canada.

700 miles from Sacramento can get you to the east or south of where you are. It gets warmer and less snow as you go south.

Does your ex-husband strenuously object to anything and everything you want? Maybe if you choose a location that would be fun and easy for him to get to to see the kids, he would agreed to allow you to move and take the children. if you both sign the petition, the courts will grant the request.

Maybe your ex would love an excuse to vacation in Hawaii every year. There are cheap flights and the warm weather you want.

Old 04-28-2020, 07:54 AM

I looked at Baker City, OR, but in light of recent events, I'm bent on getting out from under the clutches of OR's extremist legislators. As kiddo visits his father several times a year, HI isn't an option, as dreamy as that would be. Opinions on Lewiston ID? I'm reading the average annual snowfall is 13 inches. It seems northern enough to escape the downwind spraying, and conservative, too. I stumbled upon some great real estate in Genesee but can't they a good read in terms of public schools.

I wouldn't consider myself anti-Ag, rather, anti-cancer. Here's the latest on the Roundup litigation front, for anyone who might be interested.

https://www.consumersafety.org/produ...suits/roundup/

Old 04-28-2020, 08:03 AM

2,674 posts, read 2,624,834 times
Evanston Wyoming is about 700 miles from Sacramento. Don't know much about Evanston, but no income tax in Wyoming and it's a conservative state. It's close to Salt Lake City, though that would be a rough commute in the winter.

Good luck

Old 04-28-2020, 08:45 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
You don't want snow, you could move to San Diego. The best weather in the USA. San Diego is relatively conservative, although you still get the state legislature craziness.

Anywhere you can reach in Idaho is an agricultural area and is going to have agricultural practices ongoing.

Old 04-28-2020, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
You don't want snow, you could move to San Diego. The best weather in the USA. San Diego is relatively conservative, although you still get the state legislature craziness.

Anywhere you can reach in Idaho is an agricultural area and is going to have agricultural practices ongoing.

Then everyone in ID should be getting cancer, no?

I think ID is about #34 on the list for cancer cases.

Old 04-28-2020, 02:05 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,756,429 times
Evanston is a dirt ball town with nothing to do let alone tons of snow in the winter. About the LAST place on earth I'd want to live. I never particularly enjoyed even driving through. More like driving past
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area