Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 04:55 PM

35 posts, read 190,676 times

Advertisements

I read some people in Portland/Salem etc (rainy areas) will escape on weekends to the Eastern part of Oregon.

Can someone tell me where to go to get some brighter skies?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2007, 12:41 AM

340 posts, read 1,441,108 times
I see you don't have many replies but I would say if it's rainy up there your best bet would be south down I-5.Alot of storms sweep down from the north but don't quite go all the way south.Roseburg,Medford,Grants Pass

Old 07-27-2007, 10:56 AM

1,872 posts, read 4,218,532 times
I don't ever feel as if I need to escape. A little bit of coudiness and rain doesn't bother me because, when we have the set-in rains it usually means inland is receiving the snows and I choose moderate temperature rains to cold snow any day.

Last edited by seashelly; 07-27-2007 at 11:06 AM..

Old 07-27-2007, 05:15 PM

177 posts, read 966,226 times
The Gorge! Hood River is a very popular windsurfing spot. There is also Multnomah Falls which has hiking trails. The most beautiful drive (in my opinion) is the "Hood River Fruit Loop" I think the chamber of commerce has the map. It takes you through the Hood River valley and it's multitude of orchards (cherry, pear,apple, etc.) and also gives you a great view of Mt. Hood. Plus you can stop along the way to buy fresh in-season local fruit, YUM!

Old 07-28-2007, 05:13 PM

5 posts, read 24,970 times
I live in Corvallis, and I go to Central Oregon to find a drier climate. It's much harsher than the Willamette Valley or the coast during the winter, but the rest of the year it's a great place to find open skies - plus it smells like juniper. It's a much longer trip from Portland than the Gorge, but it's well worth it. Highway 26 will take you most of the way there.

Old 07-30-2007, 04:58 PM

35 posts, read 190,676 times
Thanks zachmull, just what I needed.

Are there any places close to Salem for a weekend with sunshine in the winter time? See, I have the SAD symptoms and need to go get some sun when it's dark and cloudy for periods at a time.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Old 07-31-2007, 11:54 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,552 posts, read 57,460,499 times
you can just head east for sun and stop at the first place you can afford, east side of the mountains. Bend is spendy, but there are nice places nearby. Find a rental home in Sunriver resort, take your bike and relax and breath deep fresh (dry) air.

If you have time, head out to the fossil beds (John Day) or Steen's Mtn.

If you head to Hood River and it is rainy, keep going 15 miles east (Mosier, Rowena is much drier) I like Dufur, and Tygh Valley, but these aren't the closest to Salem.

Old 07-31-2007, 02:08 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,369,685 times
Bend and/or Sisters and the surrounding areas are your best bet.

Old 07-31-2007, 02:43 PM

59 posts, read 227,229 times
Default +1

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachmull View Post
I live in Corvallis, and I go to Central Oregon to find a drier climate. It's much harsher than the Willamette Valley or the coast during the winter, but the rest of the year it's a great place to find open skies - plus it smells like juniper. It's a much longer trip from Portland than the Gorge, but it's well worth it. Highway 26 will take you most of the way there.
"Smells like Juniper". That's a perfect descriptive for eastern oregon in general.

Old 07-31-2007, 06:15 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,561,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave99 View Post
"Smells like Juniper". That's a perfect descriptive for eastern oregon in general.
Let's hope not. Juniper is a water thief that exterminates all competing vegetation. It has unfortunately spread because of fire suppression. If an area attains a 60% closed canopy of Juniper, it will be so ecologically damaged that it will never recover naturally, even if the juniper is removed.

Vast areas of Eastern Oregon need to burn, as soon as possible. However, the spread of housing into rural areas puts homes at risk from brush fires, so that is a real problem.

In the long run, the recent fires near Burns are the best thing that could have happened to the area. In the short run, many ranchers lost all their summer forage for cattle, and will have to sharply reduce the size of their herds to get by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon