Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2021, 04:10 AM

42 posts, read 79,969 times

Advertisements

Regarding the paper mill in Lewiston. They've clearly worked on improving that. In the 80s when I was a kid, it was horrible, actually making me pass up McDonalds food which was a treat back then. The last few times I've been by there (before pandemic), we didn't notice it that much. Or at least it wasn't bad enough to note.

It was a bit rundown when I was a kid, but I'm betting now people are buying things up and improving it.

If a person wants to go north, hope your car has some mmph.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2021, 02:59 PM

20 posts, read 57,078 times
I would definitely agree with you. The Lewiston area seemed to have much easier access to outdoor recreation (without the crowds). On our next trip back we are taking a jet boat cruise from Lewiston to the scenic Hells Canyon Recreation Area on the Snake river. That's an example of something you just can't do in Boise.

Old 03-28-2021, 05:52 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,364,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman990 View Post
I would definitely agree with you. The Lewiston area seemed to have much easier access to outdoor recreation (without the crowds). On our next trip back we are taking a jet boat cruise from Lewiston to the scenic Hells Canyon Recreation Area on the Snake river. That's an example of something you just can't do in Boise.
You really don't know Boise or the area and you're coming across as silly based on your limited knowledge.

Old 03-30-2021, 07:06 PM

20 posts, read 57,078 times
It's just an outsider's perspective from what we saw and liked traveling through Idaho. If you're an expert on Boise and that area around there, maybe you could enlighten me? Is there something really scenic there we missed?? From what we saw, it doesn't exactly look like an outdoor recreation paradise.

Old 04-02-2021, 05:55 PM

131 posts, read 197,730 times
Sandman, Your perspective matches what outdoor magazine found several years ago, top outdoor recreation place in the northwest. I’m sure Google still has that article if you search for it.

Old 04-02-2021, 06:17 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,364,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burbsgrrl View Post
Sandman, Your perspective matches what outdoor magazine found several years ago, top outdoor recreation place in the northwest. I’m sure Google still has that article if you search for it.
Yes, Boise is often ranked as a top outdoor recreational city and for good reason and well justified for the scenic outdoor activities right in the city and adjacent. A quick drive from downtown up the Foothills to Bogus Basin and Mores Mountain offers an incredibly beautiful 360° view of the scenery in Boise's backyard.

Old 04-06-2021, 05:47 PM

138 posts, read 266,452 times
I wasn't very impressed with Lewiston when we went there last summer. While it is much smaller than Boise, I found it to be kinda dumpy and a little on the redneck-y side (Of course, you could say that about much of Idaho).The downtown area did look like it was trying to revitalize somewhat.

The river/s are nice, so if you're into boating that is a big plus... but if you like to ski/snowboard (which I doubt you do, since you didn't mention it) there is nothing really that close by. As for other outdoor recreation, I'm not so sure Lewiston is any better than Boise other than the large rivers (the Boise river is nice, but more for fishing/tubing). From Boise, you have quick access to national forest to the North and East, with lots of rivers, some lakes and hot springs. From Lewiston, it more work to get out of the deep canyons, and even when you do... you're only in low to mid elevations around that area, so it's more open country (Palouse to the north and Camas Prairie to the south). While both are beautiful in their own right, it's more rolling country than mountains. You generally have to go quite a way to get into the deeper forest, bigger mountains.

Weatherwise, it gets pretty hot in summer, which Boise does as well, but at least you have the river/s. You are also probably a little more susceptible to wildfire smoke in that region vs Boise, although that can be kinda relative. Another thing to consider is Lewiston has ALOT more gray skies in the winter. They average 169 days of sun a year vs 206 for Boise.. most of that difference is in winter.

I personally feel like it's a little claustrophobic in those huge, deep canyons, but if you don't that's great. Both places are isolated, but Boise is kinda its own entity, so I don't get that feeling like I might in Lewiston.

We did notice a distinct smell last summer when we were there. It wasn't as bad as the beet plants, but i never notice the beet plant much outside of Nampa.

It's really about what you want/prefer. I like Boise a lot for a city, especially the downtown area.. However, it is getting very busy/expensive so I can understand that part, completely.

Old 04-08-2021, 12:59 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
I'm a little confused as to which famous magazine burbsgrrl mentioned.

There's no "Outdoor" magazine that's a big seller. There is an "Outside" magazine and there's an "Outdoor Life" magazine, and they're currently #1 and #2 best sellers in the category.

Either way, neither of them are based in Idaho and I've read both off and on. One is published in Denver and the other in New York.

This may make me sound like an arrogant native, but in my opinion, neither actually knows much about our outdoor recreation. Both are too big-city oriented to give Idaho more than a quick fly-over or two when Old Mother shows herself off once in a while and gets some passing attention.

If someone really wants to know what's here and what's not, it's better to trust the words of someone who actually lives here than anyone who doesn't.

The thing I know about my home state is how shy she is and how deceiving she is. The best stuff here is never the easiest to find or to reach, but it's always there, just around the bend, or over the hill, or down there in the low ground behind that low hill.

An outsider won't ever get to see some of it because those who are in the know will never inform an outsider. There are quite a few folks here would prefer to keep the information to themselves.

Another thing is how unprepared an outsider may be to encounter our best and to experience it. Our 'best' has its own definition of spectacular.
That description cannot be understood until a person has encountered spectacle at its most extreme. Alaska is probably the only competition Idaho has to natural spectacle in spectacular isolation. Our natural spectacle is as dangerous as it is awesome, as fearsome as it is inspiring, and as threatening as it is joy filled.

Dreadful splendor is my personal definition of our wild places. It's here at it's finest, most extravagant, and most abundant, and Old Mother Idaho will bite just as quickly as she will smile, and will kill you as quickly as she will bless you.

She cares not a whit for outsider's thoughts about her, and she's just as indifferent to her native-born as she is to any outsider.

Take her for granted just a minute too long, and anyone can become a legend who will always be remembered as another of the suddenly lost.

Old 04-08-2021, 03:55 PM

131 posts, read 197,730 times
I believe it was Outdoor Life magazine, not sure if it's still published or not, I haven't looked at magazine shelves for a while.

For people that move here, it really comes down to personal preferences; do your own thing. Asking questions is smart, but you have to visit and figure it out by yourself.

As an Idaho native, I moved all over the country after graduation for work, finally coming home in 2014. There's no other state quite like Idaho in terms of outdoor opportunities, geography/topography, wide open spaces, scenery, people's friendliness/helpfulness, and a feeling of freedom. If that sounds good to you, and you can embrace that and respect it, then leave your former life behind and join us, otherwise we're doing just fine without you.

Old 04-08-2021, 05:12 PM

8,499 posts, read 8,790,853 times
Lewiston was highly ranked in the Outdoor Life Magazine article here

https://www.outdoorlife.com/photos/g...st-towns-2010/ Still worth a look. They have sub-groupings for different areas of focus.

One of the best data points they offered was a ratio of average home price to average household income. That data is gone now but you can compute it from other sources. Big differences between the most famous places and the lesser sought.

Local article after 2009 list.
https://lmtribune.com/northwest/outd...40c34e997.html

There is still a website. https://www.outdoorlife.com Digital only. No more printed magazines.

After awhile they stopped ratings towns on criteria beyond outdoor recreation and then maybe gave it up entirely. 2012 probably was the last. https://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/ne...hing-towns-us/

Outside magazine and a lot of other sources focus on the hottest, hippest and most expensive places. Outdoor Life catered to a more middle to working class audience into traditional outdoor sports and towns. Generally affordable places.

Last edited by NW Crow; 04-08-2021 at 06:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area