Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2021, 04:07 PM

5,586 posts, read 5,017,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejisme View Post
I live in the Boise area. I see California plates all the time and it's no big deal... as long as you drive relaxed at the pace of other drivers, who are probably already driving 5-10 mph over the speed limit. When I see California plates on a car weaving thru traffic or tail gating it can tick me off a bit that they still feel the need rush to save seconds driving, over the pace of traffic. Traffic moves here. It's not I5 from San Diego to LA. It's Boise on I84 or 184. You can relax now.

As for work. The US Government hires legal secretaries and legal assistants. Check out USAJOBS.GOV and see what's available in the Boise area.
Exactly what I mean. Here people will tailgate cars that are already going 75 +MPH
Maximum posted speed limit here is 65 MPH. Most go 75+
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2021, 09:46 AM

7,829 posts, read 3,823,458 times
Perhaps you've seen the meme:

Quote:
"Welcome.

You came here from there because you didn’t like there, and now you want to change here to be like there. We are not racist, phobic, or anti-whatever-you-are; we simply like here the way it is and most of us came here because it is not like there, wherever there was.

You are welcome here, but please stop trying to make here like there. If you want here to be like there, you should not have left there to come here, and you are invited to leave here and go back there at your earliest convenience."

Old 11-28-2021, 10:04 AM

2,942 posts, read 1,638,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Exactly what I mean. Here people will tailgate cars that are already going 75 +MPH
Maximum posted speed limit here is 65 MPH. Most go 75+
More vehicle accidents=higher insurance rates for all.

Old 11-28-2021, 11:53 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,364,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
Perhaps you've seen the meme:

Last edited by TohobitPeak; 11-28-2021 at 12:22 PM..

Old 12-02-2021, 08:09 PM

10,309 posts, read 6,847,363 times
Folks moving to Idaho, from California might want to remove their plates before they 'cross State lines.

Also, you can be in Idaho for 40 years. And As long as they know you were from Calif, you'll always be treated as an "outsider."

Idahoan's will be polite/cordial, but you are NOT an Idahoan.

Old 12-02-2021, 09:18 PM

7,382 posts, read 12,673,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Folks moving to Idaho, from California might want to remove their plates before they 'cross State lines.

Also, you can be in Idaho for 40 years. And As long as they know you were from Calif, you'll always be treated as an "outsider."

That depends, NF. We've been coming to NID since 2004, and we've owned property since 2008. We're not full-time residents yet, and we don't expect to be treated as such, but we know plenty of people who came from elsewhere years ago and who are considered Idahoans today, for all intents and purposes. Most of our neighbors, in fact.

Old 12-03-2021, 08:17 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,901,395 times
Quote:

Again, the plate thing isn't a big issue at least in Boise. As posted earlier, there are so many out of state plates in Boise and not all are from California.

Old 12-05-2021, 03:14 PM

6,358 posts, read 7,770,912 times
Quote:

I lived in SoCal for the first 66 and a half years of my life before retiring and moving to North Idaho. After being here for only two and a half years, the local Idahoans elected me to their city council. Why would they let an "outsider" run their city, (or help run it and make decisions affecting their taxes and lives)? You'll never convince me that their is an overwhelming anti-Californian bias.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 01-03-2022, 02:06 AM

9 posts, read 11,931 times
Lightbulb Hints from paralegal who changed states here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaireBoe View Post
We are moving in about a month with no jobs secured yet. Does anyone have a lead or leads on legal secretary jobs for the Boise area? Also, I am coming from California (please don't hate me) and I don't know if there is a great difference in civil law between here and Idaho. Any help anyone can lend is appreciated. Thanks so much.
I am from FL, a State that has been invaded by out of Staters too. There CAN be hate if you are moving to Idaho to "change things". That is when people get pissed off. If you respect local folks, their way of life, and even their political views, I am sure you will fit right in. In my home State of FL, northerners outnumber local Floridians 4-to-1, so as you can imagine, it sucks. It was a lot of problems years ago, but now has calmed things down.

That said, wife is Paralegal and we have moved between States a couple times in last 15 years times and she changed State law type twice already, likely a 3rd time if we end up in Treasure Valley region as well.

#1: thing you will need: local Idaho cell phone # (get a prepaid) and if you go to Idaho (ID) to visit, get a PO box with local address (write the address with Post Office's street address and then #123 (that is PO box #) and use the ID address and phone # info on resume.

#2: I highly recommend you check out the region before a final move. I know this from experience, we have 3 state moves in 15 years here. You may want to start ID job hunt within 15-30days of your move, as most law firms cannot wait longer than that for a hire.

#3: make sure you have at least 3 months of savings in case of temp job delays or having to temp work in lower paying industries. This is critical!!

Pro tip: Focus your resume on what you can do with your experience. Do not write "experienced in dealing with CA (type) of law", for instance. Write "experienced legal assistant in handling (civil/family/criminal) cases for ___ years".

"Helped organize and prepare attorney team for trial." "Created and organized trial demonstrative exhibits". "Conduct intake interviews and calls and refer info to supervising attorneys". So forth.

Be sure to have a cover letter explaining you purchased a ID rules of court and ID (type of law you are into) and have been studying ID Rules and procedures for months.

Be ready to answer questions during interviews. name the books about ID law that you are studying, if possible. If you do not know something, DO NOT GUESS!! State you may need some initial time with supervising attorney to clarify questions you may have. State that you tend ot lean more on cautious side and prefer to ask question then guess and make mistakes (this is a big deal as you know, since malpractice, even unintentional can cause loss of a lawyer's license).

Legal Assistants (non-Paralegals) deal mostly in calendaring and coordination, it is mostly organizational work. You do intakes and such, no legal advice, of course. So your needed knowledge of law should not be as high.

Terms to use: Fast learner, been studying the ID Rules of Court/Statutes book for several months, and other such info will greatly help you land a new job. Use terms like "organized and self-motivated".

Be sure to mention your relocation is permanent and you are not a transient (maybe you wanna mention the reason for your move???) because high turnover in law firm is highly disruptive.

Make sure to add any major achievements you had in CA law, but leave out "CA" from it and focus on achievement. Example: part of team that negotiated one of the biggest civil settlements in State history for injury... or whatever.

Software skills! Be sure you list these! Very helpful. If you have run jury trials, state that. A jury trial is a jury trial, with minor rule and procedure differences. That experience is golden!

Good luck in job hunt! Now that holidays are over, I am sure many more job listings will pop up. If you need help, we could look at your resume (DM me directly for privacy). We know this is stressful, but you will be OK with right preparation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
Again, the plate thing isn't a big issue at least in Boise. As posted earlier, there are so many out of state plates in Boise and not all are from California.
Change the plates to ID quickly, as you will save a fortune in yearly registration fees, insurance, and more. Duh! CA is the most expensive State in the country to own a car, insane high insurance and yearly tag costs!

So... Let me guess? Colorado is a major source of out of State tags in Idaho, besides CA?

I know several people leaving Denver metro area because Statewide govt has become unbearable and getting worse by the day. It does not matter if you live in a moderate/cons county, the Statewide political situation is horrific. I know a few families pre-emptively leaving CO for Idaho or Utah because they fear another leftist win on Nov 2022 election may "unleash and unshackle" the lunatics in control of the State Legislature and in control of entire state and trap anyone still in CO.... :-o Any moderate literally live in fear in this State, of some lunatic shutdown, 2A confiscation, and whatnot. One-party system of govt is a horrible thing, no matter what.

Last edited by MaybeMove2022; 01-03-2022 at 02:27 AM..

Old 01-03-2022, 06:30 PM

5,586 posts, read 5,017,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaybeMove2022 View Post
I am from FL, a State that has been invaded by out of Staters too. There CAN be hate if you are moving to Idaho to "change things". That is when people get pissed off. If you respect local folks, their way of life, and even their political views, I am sure you will fit right in. In my home State of FL, northerners outnumber local Floridians 4-to-1, so as you can imagine, it sucks. It was a lot of problems years ago, but now has calmed things down.

That said, wife is Paralegal and we have moved between States a couple times in last 15 years times and she changed State law type twice already, likely a 3rd time if we end up in Treasure Valley region as well.

#1: thing you will need: local Idaho cell phone # (get a prepaid) and if you go to Idaho (ID) to visit, get a PO box with local address (write the address with Post Office's street address and then #123 (that is PO box #) and use the ID address and phone # info on resume.

#2: I highly recommend you check out the region before a final move. I know this from experience, we have 3 state moves in 15 years here. You may want to start ID job hunt within 15-30days of your move, as most law firms cannot wait longer than that for a hire.

#3: make sure you have at least 3 months of savings in case of temp job delays or having to temp work in lower paying industries. This is critical!!

Pro tip: Focus your resume on what you can do with your experience. Do not write "experienced in dealing with CA (type) of law", for instance. Write "experienced legal assistant in handling (civil/family/criminal) cases for ___ years".

"Helped organize and prepare attorney team for trial." "Created and organized trial demonstrative exhibits". "Conduct intake interviews and calls and refer info to supervising attorneys". So forth.

Be sure to have a cover letter explaining you purchased a ID rules of court and ID (type of law you are into) and have been studying ID Rules and procedures for months.

Be ready to answer questions during interviews. name the books about ID law that you are studying, if possible. If you do not know something, DO NOT GUESS!! State you may need some initial time with supervising attorney to clarify questions you may have. State that you tend ot lean more on cautious side and prefer to ask question then guess and make mistakes (this is a big deal as you know, since malpractice, even unintentional can cause loss of a lawyer's license).

Legal Assistants (non-Paralegals) deal mostly in calendaring and coordination, it is mostly organizational work. You do intakes and such, no legal advice, of course. So your needed knowledge of law should not be as high.

Terms to use: Fast learner, been studying the ID Rules of Court/Statutes book for several months, and other such info will greatly help you land a new job. Use terms like "organized and self-motivated".

Be sure to mention your relocation is permanent and you are not a transient (maybe you wanna mention the reason for your move???) because high turnover in law firm is highly disruptive.

Make sure to add any major achievements you had in CA law, but leave out "CA" from it and focus on achievement. Example: part of team that negotiated one of the biggest civil settlements in State history for injury... or whatever.

Software skills! Be sure you list these! Very helpful. If you have run jury trials, state that. A jury trial is a jury trial, with minor rule and procedure differences. That experience is golden!

Good luck in job hunt! Now that holidays are over, I am sure many more job listings will pop up. If you need help, we could look at your resume (DM me directly for privacy). We know this is stressful, but you will be OK with right preparation.

Change the plates to ID quickly, as you will save a fortune in yearly registration fees, insurance, and more. Duh! CA is the most expensive State in the country to own a car, insane high insurance and yearly tag costs!

So... Let me guess? Colorado is a major source of out of State tags in Idaho, besides CA?

I know several people leaving Denver metro area because Statewide govt has become unbearable and getting worse by the day. It does not matter if you live in a moderate/cons county, the Statewide political situation is horrific. I know a few families pre-emptively leaving CO for Idaho or Utah because they fear another leftist win on Nov 2022 election may "unleash and unshackle" the lunatics in control of the State Legislature and in control of entire state and trap anyone still in CO.... :-o Any moderate literally live in fear in this State, of some lunatic shutdown, 2A confiscation, and whatnot. One-party system of govt is a horrible thing, no matter what.
That's a great idea, #1: thing you will need: local Idaho cell phone # (get a prepaid) and if you go to Idaho (ID) to visit, get a PO box with local address (write the address with Post Office's street address and then #123 (that is PO box #) and use the ID address and phone # info on resume.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area