Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2007, 09:28 PM

4 posts, read 19,970 times

Advertisements

I've been hearing occasionally about these inversions in the valley. Can anyone tell me more details about this? I understand what the inversion is, what I'm interested in is how it affects quality of life. How many days per year have inversions? How many days at a stretch? Is it just overcast, or is it pea-soup fog? Does it last all the day, or just part of the day? Would you characterize Boise winters as generally sunless? Does Boise ever have those fabulously brilliant cold sunny winter days? How often?

Any Boise weather info is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2007, 07:55 AM

291 posts, read 710,700 times
Boise inversion answers: about 20 days per year, peaking in December. It's a thin fog, usually clear or only thin clouds overhead. Lasts several days at a stretch, until a front comes through and blows it out. The major problem is wood smoke from stoves and fireplaces. 2001 and 2002 were the worst years for this (10 and 14 days of unhealthy air). Since then, Boise has instituted a wood-burning ban when severe inversions are forecast, and that problem has gone down to an average of 2 unhealthy days per year.
References on valley air quality index:
http://www.deq.state.id.us/air/aqindex.cfm
and an overview of valley inversion/AQI history:
http://ppa.boisestate.edu/centerppa/...ftheRegion.pdf

In each of the winter months (Dec-Feb), Boise has on average 20 cloudy days, 6 partly cloudy, and 5 of those fabulously brilliant sunny winters days you ask about.
Ref: Western Regional Climate Center
http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/CLIMATEDATA.html

There's lots more info at the link above, if you wish.

Old 01-11-2007, 09:41 PM

4 posts, read 19,970 times
Thanks, Rod, for your helpful answer. It sounds like Boise winters could be depressing! I like cold sunny weather in between storms, but maybe that's just not a reality in Boise. Maybe we'd have to go to Colorado to find that, but boy, we sure liked Boise when we were there in the summer!

Old 01-12-2007, 08:50 AM

291 posts, read 710,700 times
Cold sunny weather in between winter storms is a reality in Boise. Denver storms tend to be a more powerful, and the chinook winds afterwards often a lot warmer, than in Boise. Boise's climate is milder overall.

It is true that Denver gets more sun in winter, and that Spokane gets less, then Boise. You'll always find more sun east of the mountains than west, and Boise is both, so they call it the Intermountain West.

Old 01-12-2007, 02:37 PM

207 posts, read 809,785 times
Come to Sun Valley. Why do you think they call it that?

Old 01-17-2007, 04:07 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,885,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gc57 View Post
Come to Sun Valley. Why do you think they call it that?
Wish I could! Nearly everybody likes the idea of more sun....but....a quick check of a realtor website revealed ZERO (nada, zip, zilch) homes available for $150K or less....the price cap at which most of us baby-boomer retirees can realistically afford to buy a home. I'm afraid I couldn't afford a home there. Three more years and I'm outta here (Alaska) (zero degrees and 35mph winds....Brrrrr!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: