Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 08:58 AM

2 posts, read 5,859 times

Advertisements

Hi, been lurking awhile but this is my first post. We are planning to move to Boise come spring, 2009 (or sooner if the right opputunity came about). My wife and I both work in the medical field and have several options for work. My question though is about opening a vegetarian/organic cafe. I have done some work in NH in such an establishment and would love to own my own. I have looked at several businesses that are currently for sale in Boise with the idea to slowly change the menu to mostly veg over time. How do you think such a venture would do in Boise? what might be the best are to look at?
Thanks
Bob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2008, 08:22 PM

1,378 posts, read 6,215,416 times
You'd probably have good luck opening one up in the Northend, downtown or Hyde Park. Organic is becoming very popular, so I think your restaurant would be well received. Another possibility to look at...a co-op is moving to Meridian....maybe a restaurant like yours would be the perfect compliment next door?

McFadden Market Co-op

Old 09-17-2008, 10:55 PM

8 posts, read 25,436 times
I would recommend downtown or Hyde Park. Or perhaps Broadway near Boise State University. My boyfriend is vegetarian and would gladly welcome the addition of a vegetarian restaurant to Boise.

Old 09-18-2008, 01:28 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,909,519 times
There are a lot of restaurants in Boise which have vegetarian selections on their menus and there is only one all vegeterian restaurant in the city, on Overland Road--I cannot think of its name right now but will research and find out.
Downtown did have a vegetarian restaurant at one time before it was sold and eventually closed down, Kulture Klasch, but the food was bland and un-inspiring. But it was a cool place to hang out and have coffee and listen to folk singers. Now that space is a breakfast restaurant.
Boise is full of Birkenstock wearing yuppy hippies, health concious in shape people, and there are a lot of citizens who would love an all vegetarian restaurant to open, but it would have to be downtown to succeed. And with the array of locally grown organic produce it would be a win win situation.

Old 09-18-2008, 02:10 PM

1,067 posts, read 2,981,192 times
Just to add a common sentiment of friends and I in places throughout Idaho who liked to regular small, locally-owned businesses, you may be better off starting anew instead of coming to an existing business and changing things up. "New management" is sort of like a cuss word to local regulars, 'cause one of the things we value is familiarity. We also relish in novelty, but not if it replaces something we love. New businesses are always welcome for both those reasons.

We like to see joints build on their menus and understand when unpopular items are removed (but love it if they can still be ordered off-menu, which only occasionally works with inventory, of course). Also, sudden changes certainly won't kill a business, especially when you offer popular changes like a new vegetarian menu, but you will be viewed as "betraying" long-time regulars who became regulars 'cause they loved a place the way it was. I've felt VERY put off when going to a favorite joint, especially if I haven't been there in a long time, ordering my favorite dish, and getting something different or outright refusal due to "new management". I'm genuinely less offended when people flip me off. Really! Local-philes are that adamant. I'd be sorry for you to face that, 'cause it's not up for compromise or negotiation as far as we're concerned.

A new business will inspire an open curiosity, whereas a changed business will inspire a sense of loss and betrayal that will force you to rebuild the existing client base, which aside from startup costs is the main reason you'd want to take off from an existing business.

That soapbox aside, Hyde Park and Downtown are great recommendations! None could top those. Somewhere near the eastern Greenbelt (e.g., near Anne Morrison or Julia Davis parks) or near the BSU main campus could work, too. Anywhere on major streets without good bike access or far West reaches of town should be avoided, 'cause that would alienate your main client base (i.e., the crowd who ride bicycles or walk as a primary mode of transportation).

Best of luck in any case. I just hope you don't buy one of my favorite haunts before my next return to Boise.

Old 09-18-2008, 02:26 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,909,519 times
The recently closed Satchells would be a great place for a vegetarian restaurant. It is right in the center of downtown with a nice patio area.
Anyone who opens a new restaurant in Boise would have to make sure they offer good wine, good coffee, and live music and coordinate with local artists to show off their art on the walls.
That is just the "Boise" thing to do.

Old 09-18-2008, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
The recently closed Satchells would be a great place for a vegetarian restaurant. It is right in the center of downtown with a nice patio area.
Anyone who opens a new restaurant in Boise would have to make sure they offer good wine, good coffee, and live music and coordinate with local artists to show off their art on the walls.
That is just the "Boise" thing to do.
That's a great cultural recommendation. That will be the best way to fit right in and great wine is not hard to come by in the Great Northwest (in case the OP didn't know by some far stretch). Also, buying a closed restaurant would avoid the abrasiveness I mentioned in my prior post.

On that note, I hope you, the OP, know I'm not trying to be a jerk in the prior post. I'm just telling you a subtle but significant factor about clientelle sentiment/behavor in a city that sustains a small-town culture, which is a pride and "mission" of Boise, if you will. Boiseans will relish in your idea, but best to start out on a good note with the "entrenched regulars". I'm hoping to help you with that.

Old 09-18-2008, 04:47 PM

3 posts, read 6,297 times
We NEED a vegetarian restaurant in Boise!! BADLY!! I would help make this happen, in any way possible!! (Vegetarian of 14 years with a respectable culinary background)... I can cook!

I think Hyde Park/North End would be "ideal" for such a restaurant.. However, Hyde Park real estate is going to be SUPER-Pricey! (Seriously!)

BSU area is actually a VERY good suggestion...
There used to be a vegetarian restaurant Downtown called Kulture Klatch, but it is no longer in business. I'm not sure what happened there.

I would EXCLUDE West Boise, as a potential location.. That's where all the cowboys are. Most of the BBQ and Steak House type establishments have migrated that direction.

Best of luck!! Seriously let me know if I can be of any further assistance!

Old 09-18-2008, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmakazi View Post
I would EXCLUDE West Boise, as a potential location.. That's where all the cowboys are. Most of the BBQ and Steak House type establishments have migrated that direction.
LOL... quite true, another good reason to stay out of West Boise. Not only is it far from the majority of prospective patrons, but it's smack dab amidst the most likely non-patrons. It's even hard to be a pedestrian or bicyclist on that end of town... traffic, fast food, chain restaurants, and strip malls. As you go farther west, it becomes less dense and more rural/pastoral, hence the cowboys.

Old 09-19-2008, 07:36 AM

2 posts, read 5,859 times
Default Great ideas

Thanks to everyone for their input!! I go back and forth between opening a new place and buying an existing one. With an existing one you have an income as you make changes but you do risk alienating those regulars and you do lack the "newness" factor that get people other than the regulars to try out your place (if that sentence makes any sense at all!). We currently live in NH and have been scouting out some places, hope to get there in a week or tow to look some of them over in person. I will definatley look at some of the ones suggested here and we can use a few good cooks!!

How does anyone here feel about the old Milky Way?

Bob
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: