Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Idaho: Boise, downtown, affordable, traffic, white water rafting.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 03:39 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,901,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlve View Post
I am a boise native that has lived in Salt Lake, Washington DC, VT, and NC. Boise definately will not have the big city feel that you are used to with NYC. If you are really into ethnic foods, arts, etc Boise may not be your place. They have some of this stuff, but not nearly what you are use to. SLC and some other west coast cities will have more of this. If this does not bother you, you may like Boise. With the exception of the sophisticated scene, Boise is a much better place than SLC, Utah. (I hated SLC). Overall Boise is one of my most favorite cities, and I wish I could move back.
IMO Boise has just as much if not a more progressive arts scene than SLC so if a person in Boise has the urge to travel to a larger city to experience a larger arts scene - Portland and Seattle are a half day drive away or a quick flight away.
I think that Boise has a great sophosticated relaxed feel about it, it just depends on the neighborhood you live in and the company you keep-this can be said for any city.

The ethnic foody scene in Boise has really grown these past years and is a great asset to the city, but Portland and Seattle will obviously offer more of that, SLC not so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 05:51 PM

6 posts, read 11,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
IMO Boise has just as much if not a more progressive arts scene than SLC so if a person in Boise has the urge to travel to a larger city to experience a larger arts scene - Portland and Seattle are a half day drive away or a quick flight away.
I think that Boise has a great sophosticated relaxed feel about it, it just depends on the neighborhood you live in and the company you keep-this can be said for any city.

The ethnic foody scene in Boise has really grown these past years and is a great asset to the city, but Portland and Seattle will obviously offer more of that, SLC not so much.
Have you ever lived in SLC? I hate SLC more that most people, but your statements are false. For starters, compare the list of arts venues on SLC and Boise's Visitors and convention bureau and you will see they have twice as many options. The SLC list is not all inclusive. A few year ago, they had a handful of modern dance companies alone. The quality of the performances are also a better in SLC (they have a lot of world renouned events/companies such as Sundance).

In regards to ethnic food, they have tons of great options and they have more variety than Boise had. I would rate some of the SLC places higher than the 'best places' in Washington DC (lived in DC for years). Portland and Seattle probably top SLC in all of these regards, but you cant really claim boise does. Boise's scene is expanding, but it is not quite up to SLC level yet. Again I loathe SLC for other reasons, so we can drop this debate here.

To the OP: If you are fine with only have one symphony and less ethnic food than you are use to in NYC, you would do fine in Boise. You can still get this stuff, but you have fewer options. If you want more options and can stand rain, I would check out Portland/Seattle. Salt Lake area could be an option, but it is definately not for everyone (myself included).

Old 11-06-2008, 09:10 AM

mtlve, yes I have lived in Salt Lake and am very aware of their offerings and I was active in that community when I did live there. I have a sister who is in their symphony.

And I cry foul on you for referring to my statements as false because everyone is entitled to their own opininon. I could turn around and say that your statements regarding Boise and SLC are false, but that is rude because you have your opinions.

I also have family who live in that area and I visit there a few times a year so I am very familier with the SL valley.
Yes, the SL area has more art groups because there is a larger population base but I did and still do have my own opinions on the quality of all of the options. There are great quality options there and there are also great quality options in Boise. Granted Boise is still growing up, but we are more artistic here than a lot of larger cities are.
I looked at the convention bureau list you most likely looked at and that list is not all inclusive for Boise either, just as the list you mention is not inclusive for SLC.
And in the SL area there is always the controversy of the conservative people and the church who will determine what can be shown, acted out or displayed in arts venues. I always felt as well as many, many others that the LDS Church has too much influence on the art scene there and that is not the issue in Boise. But this is my opinion and everybody is going to have their own fierce opinions regarding art.

Boise is fast becoming a city that attracts artists of many interests and we have one of the finest dance companies anywhere which recently relocated here. Local art gurus are trying to drum up support for a new performing arts hall in downtown. Boise has more public art around the city center than SLC does, Boise has more art museums per capita than most other cities even larger than us.

As far as dining, yes SLC has more ethnic restaurants than Boise but Boise has better upscale restaurants and local casual dining options as well as bistros than SLC. SLC has some fine restaurants but Boise has a far more exciting dining scene. Ours is energetic, diverse, and creative mainly because so many creative people have moved here in the past decade. Some of the best Sushi restaurants I have eaten at are here in Boise/Eagle. And I have eaten at a lot of Sushi places in SLC. And remember, mtlve I have lived in SL and am well aware of what I am stating here. SLC seems stuck on national chains while Boise has a push for local establishments which use locally grown goods.

Park City has a far better dining scene than SLC does.
If you want to talk about our opinions than shoot me a pm and we can discuss more if you wish. Lets not taint this thread with our opinions on this subject.
Both cities, Salt Lake and Boise can be very rewarding for someone to relocate to. It just depends on the kind of atmosphere they want to be in.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need2Leave View Post
You sound like a natural North Ender, Boise's cool. If you can't afford the area, just move farther down the valley, or south of downtown. All the outdoors, small town feel, and metro-esque stuff you want is here. Sailing/swiming/H2o stuff is a 5 min. drive NE at lucky peak res. Or at Lake Lowel if you can only afford the burbs farther west.

Almost forgot... North end in a nutshell = buy a volvo or subaru w/a ski rack and buy organic and you will blend right in. Best of luck to you.
This is funny Need2Leave Subarus are all over the North end and most of Boise. There are a lot of artists in the North end too and they will display art in their yards which is very refreshing.
I love Cafe Vicino on Fort Street. It is one of the best restaurants I have ever eaten at. The food is to die for.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:11 PM

100 posts, read 306,776 times
Hello, I lived in Colorado for 12 yrs, colorado springs. I know live in the seatlle area. Colorado is nice, but we also love boating. I would highly suggest that u do not move to colorado if u want to boat. The mountains are awsome. The state is very dry and gets alot of wind. Alot of military. I will always love colorado but will never live there again. The elk are awsome!!! Might want to check into seatlle. Good Luck.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:19 PM

314 posts, read 1,218,367 times
Hello CRB:
I have lived in Boston, San Diego, Stamford, CT, and California's bunghole--aka the Central Valley. I used to work in New York City. I have lived in Boise since June 1, 2008.

Based on your post and what you're looking for: Boise is the only place you should consider on your list. I suppose Colorado could be an option for you, but I've never been to Colorado other than layovers at the Frontier Air terminal. Since I'm a single, non-Morman, I would never consider Utah.

The only spot in Montana which is comparable to Boise is Missoula, MT. Missoula has less than half Boise's population, but it's a college town. Missoula is near Big Fork, MT and Coeur d'Alene, ID, which offer some of the greatest lake resort living in the nation. The problem with MT, no matter where you consider within that state, is you're giving up a lot of lifestyle conveniences. You and your wife may say you're tired of the materialistic lifestyle and the glitz, but can you adapt your lifestyle "down" in terms of choices? In New York City, the WORLD is at your fingertips. You are at a want for nothing. In MT, and Boise, to some degree, you're going to be giving up a lot. You'll have to really think about your likes and needs.

Boise-
It doesn't really matter where you live in Boise, everything is within 1, 5, or 10 miles. You could live in Meridien or Eagle or Garden City or somewhere out by the great Hyde Park area and all your day-to-day needs will be short drives away. Most of your driving will be street driving as opposed to freeway (or turnpike) driving, so it can take 15 or 20 min to get somewhere due to traffic light patterns. I live about 4 miles East of downtown Boise and I feel like I live downtown. I think you will feel the sameway.

Downtown Boise is amazing and lives up to all the hype. It is growing smartly and there's lots of unique areas. We are catching heat from the Economic Meltdown now--some restaurants I went to when I first got here have shockingly closed already. Big employers are laying off. Unemployment is on its way to doubling within 1 year (it was 4.1% in June, might be 8% by Feb)...but this is an affordable place to weather through an economic meltdown. The city and state do not face megabillion deficits like Cali and some states face.

I think you will find Boise conservative enough even though Boise is technically Democratic. I don't think it will be anywhere near a New England Liberalism you might be used to. I am more New England Liberal and Boise is very conservative in some senses. But it's just a great place to be. There is a sense that this will be the next Portland within 5 years, in terms of "forward-thinking" "technology" and "culture." But there is a very family and christian feeling to the city which I don't see changing. The Morman and Catholic populations are each at 15% demographics (according to the figs. I saw) there are various demoninational churches all over the place. Public Schools here don't have a "prison" look which most in Cali have. I don't know what the private school options are.

You will have plenty of fishing, hunting, skiing, camping and hiking options. I see plenty of people dragging ski boats around. This is one of the white water rafting capitals in the nation. I floated the Boise river this summer and it's about as fun a thing as can be done. The public parks in Boise are among the best I've ever seen. McCall ID is about 65 miles North of Boise but you've got to travel a small, windy mountain road. Coeur d'Alene and Sun Valley are quite a long way away from Boise....Boise is more isolated than I thought.

All in all, I think you'll like Boise best. But you will be giving up a lot of "comforts" which you probably take for granted now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area