Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 01:41 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,900,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiwos View Post

I'm painting Boise with a broad brush I agree. However I say the economic downfall Boise is now experiencing was foreseeable (esp. with the double election of Bush). We feel it in WA too, but it's not as bad here, and likely won't get as bad here, on average, due to excellent state management that benefits the workforce.
You almost seem to relish and get off on the fact that the economy is not currently doing well. Remember Boise is not the only city affected by this national recession and it is a national issue with many more cities which have flourished in recent years expericing more pain than Boise is right now.
What about Seattle? How many people have been layed off at Microsoft, Boeing, Starbucks, and countless other companies? I have read nothing but doom and gloom for Seattle's economy and that replacement jobs for those who lost their jobs are hard to find out there in the Emerald City.
Here is a small article about the massive job losses Seattle is experiencing.

http://seattle.bizjournals.com/seatt...19/daily5.html

So what is your beef with Boise?

Last edited by Syringaloid; 02-24-2009 at 01:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 02:00 PM

960 posts, read 1,163,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
So what is your beef with Boise?
I think you're reading more into my posts than is there. I'm just giving a realistic view of Boise as I see it, in response to someone thinking of moving there.

Yep, Seattle is definitely feeling the pinch from 8 years of a bad prez too; however, many of the unemployed here get $2300/mo in unemployment benefits. As bad as it is here, skilled high-tech workers, for example, can still get $50/hr quite easily. They just aren't getting $70/hr like they used to. It's all relative.

Old 02-24-2009, 03:13 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,900,306 times
You can have the last word if you want. It is obvious you hate Republicans and your police stories you have posted which you claim happened in Boise seem very, well, strange and exagerrated.

Come on getting frisked for walking outside of your home?

Old 02-24-2009, 03:33 PM

960 posts, read 1,163,240 times
The part about the police state is probably understated. You'll be fine, unless & until it happens to you. I remembered a case when I lived there, in which a 17-year-old arrested for an unpaid traffic ticket was put into an unmonitored cell with hardened criminals, who promptly killed him. (Found an article, search for "The family of a youth who was tortured and beaten to death by cellmates in a county jail have filed suit".) Things may have gotten better since then, but currently Idaho, more than most any other state, still thinks Gitmo is a good idea. So people who are thinking of moving there: beware, "guilty until proven innocent" works both ways.

Last edited by Heiwos; 02-24-2009 at 03:42 PM..

Old 02-24-2009, 05:18 PM

879 posts, read 2,858,374 times

Old 02-24-2009, 06:20 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,682,450 times
I tend to agree with Heiwos, especially regarding the local economy. I don't think he's far off with his points about the lower wages we have here. I know so many people that have left here because they had much better offers elsewhere.

I also slightly agree with him in regards to the police, though I've never experienced anything like he said. I do know that our police are notorious for having itchy trigger fingers, and for being more than a bit zealous with people downtown.

But at the same time, most police shooting incidents were justified, and they kept our city extremely safe and clean.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:22 PM

879 posts, read 2,858,374 times
But for every person that apparently left how many moved in?

Old 02-24-2009, 10:06 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,682,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boi2socal View Post
But for every person that apparently left how many moved in?
Well, I'd imagine quite a few that had decades (or more) of experience.

To me, Boise is (was) a great place for those with considerable experience and a substantial resume to relocate to from areas with higher costs of living and lower quality of lives.

It's also a decent place for those who are able to get into the Idaho good ol' boy network and exploit it for their career benefit.

Beyond that one had better expect to be lucky or lower class, especially if you're a recent high school or college graduate, and/or coming from elsewhere without a significant resume.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:33 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,839,717 times
And a friendly reminder to avoid taking this to a political red/blue democrat/republican debate would seem good right about now...

Old 02-26-2009, 03:11 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiwos View Post
Believe it or not! I'm watching TV, went outside during a commercial, police car comes by, stops, cop gets out & asks me what am I doing outside, I say "just getting some fresh air during a commercial", not good enough, he asks me for my ID which I didn't have because I was just stepping out on my front lawn for a minute. Well to an Idaho cop the Constitution is of little merit so I was pushed against the car and frisked. I might've been hauled to jail too had he not been satisifed with taking down my name & address (the address of the house I was standing in front of).

I have to ask...were you naked or something? Were you looking in your own windows on tiptoe? Were you climbing a tree with binoculars? Do you have a "house arrest" anklet? Were you toilet papering your neighbor's tree? Or spray painting "I hate pigs" on the sidewalk? There has to be more to this story. I can't see any cop stopping in a subdivision to ask someone what they were doing unless 1) They were naked or 2) They were acting suspicious or doing something illegal. And I can't see them frisking you unless you got mouthy with them.

If there truly is no more to the story than what you said, then you should have called the police chief and filed a report, because an officer who behaves that way totally unprovoked has no place being an officer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area