Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2009, 07:54 PM

6 posts, read 50,979 times

Advertisements

I'm a recent college grad originally from the DC/Baltimore metro area, went to college to a podunk city in PA and have recently worked in Myrtle Beach, SC and currently in Jackson, TN. I'm just curious on how some things are in Boise in terms of things to do/nightlife, rent prices, areas to live for a the recent college grad crowd, how conservative the city is, and if it compares at all to any of the major cities on the east coast, or south?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 03:52 PM

215 posts, read 789,196 times
check out the idaho statesman for a good idea of rental prices in Boise..you'll probably like downtown Boise, the north end or the bench areas of Boise..yes there is definitely a night life for young college grads in Boise don't worry about that. Boise is actually pretty liberal especially downtown, northend..the burbs gets more conservative but I think that is anywhere you go. Boise is smaller than east coast and slower paced, more laid back than the East or even the South..I haven't been where you're coming from but have been in D.C. and Atlanta and compared to those areas the people aren't nearly as intense here. It will be a slower pace here like I said..it'll probably be a culture shock for you but you might like it!

Old 06-04-2009, 03:46 PM

82 posts, read 355,083 times
Quote:
D.C. and Atlanta and compared to those areas the people aren't nearly as intense here.
That's good to hear from a local. Also, I've briefly visited Boise and felt good vibes there.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:00 PM

314 posts, read 1,218,367 times
I would say Tennessee, as a how, is much more religious conservative than Boise. Maybe other parts of Idaho are similar to TN in that regard, but after a year here, the Religious vibe is not that intense at all.

If you are in your 20s and college-educated you should move here. This town is a 20-somethings paradise...

Old 06-04-2009, 10:09 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,682,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarndyce View Post
If you are in your 20s and college-educated you should move here. This town is a 20-somethings paradise...
Strongly disagree.

This town is a 20-something paradise for some. I've known a great number of kids who moved from Boise because it was too quiet, too small, too sleepy, too isolated, too cold, too hot, too insular, too boring, too hard to start a career, etc. Mostly the singles scene was too small, as people get married at a young age here. It's gotten better lately, though.

These are all valid points. 20-somethings tend to be a little more naive about the world, and seek places that are the center of it all. They tend not to worry as much about crime, housing prices, and schools, and instead want action, nice weather, bars/clubs, and a place to start a career. Boise is likely none of the above, at least compared to most cities.

However, if you're someone that's looking for a safer town, affordable housing, a quiet but accessible downtown, four seasons, good college football, and the clincher - outdoor recreation - then Boise may indeed be a paradise.

Good luck with the job search, however...

Old 06-04-2009, 10:22 PM

314 posts, read 1,218,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boisefan88 View Post
Strongly disagree.

This town is a 20-something paradise for some. I've known a great number of kids who moved from Boise because it was too quiet, too small, too sleepy, too isolated, too cold, too hot, too insular, too boring, too hard to start a career, etc. Mostly the singles scene was too small, as people get married at a young age here. It's gotten better lately, though.

These are all valid points. 20-somethings tend to be a little more naive about the world, and seek places that are the center of it all. They tend not to worry as much about crime, housing prices, and schools, and instead want action, nice weather, bars/clubs, and a place to start a career. Boise is likely none of the above, at least compared to most cities.

However, if you're someone that's looking for a safer town, affordable housing, a quiet but accessible downtown, four seasons, good college football, and the clincher - outdoor recreation - then Boise may indeed be a paradise.

Good luck with the job search, however...
The only thing that will drive 20-somethings away is if corporations never come here. The affordable lifestyle, the bars downtown, the outdoor action are going to be pulls for the 20-something.

The internet and Southwest Airlines will keep 20-somethings connected to the wider world. It's very tough to just get up and move to a Megacity like New York or LA without a lot of friends. Not to mention having to share a 4th floor walkup with 5 other people because rents are outrageous...meh.

I'm almost at the point of saying this could be a Golfer's paradise because it appears NOBODY GOLFS BEFORE 8am out here Even though it's plenty light and comfortable enough to do so...everyone must hit the snooze button or they head to the mountains every weekend....

Old 06-04-2009, 10:37 PM

879 posts, read 2,858,653 times
Well, I can't speak first hand as far as clubbing or bars go...but growing up in Boise and staying in touch with a few locals and Boise-people that now live in LA that frequent Boise as much or more than I do say Boise actually has a fun and vibrant night scene downtown and the actual bars and clubs themselves aren't too far off from larger cities and are quite a bit cheaper. The problem with it is they see the same people all the time. This can only be expected as I live in a city of 4 million and see the same people all the time. lol

Financially, it is hard to just get up and move to a large city. But socially, playing devil's advocate here, it may be less hard than moving to a small/mid-sized community such as Boise. In LA, it may take time but there are so many different people to try to mesh with you are bound to find someone. In Boise, you have smaller numbers and if you don't mesh with what is there you may be very isolated. This and weather remain my personal issues with Boise or I'd move back in a heartbeat. I'm speaking as a person in my 20s. Come 35 or 40 and if I'm still middle class or worse off I am sure I'll be over LA and run back to my hometown.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:31 AM

2,754 posts, read 6,101,969 times
Looks like Jarndyce needs a lesson in Economics 101. You say the only thing that will drive 20-somethings away is if corporations come to Boise. U, hate to break it to you but corporations mean JOBS and economic stimulous to the entire city, including a larger tax base with which to keep the park system and all of our local perks maintained. And jobs are exactly what 20-somethings are usually looking for and need; indeed they are usually in the market to begin a career. All the great nightlife and fun things for young adults is well and good, but how can one pursue those things without an income. Corporations are not big, evil monolithic entities: they are made of people.
Lesson over.

Old 07-10-2009, 12:54 PM

25 posts, read 120,370 times
Jarndyce said "The only thing that will drive 20-somethings away is if corporations NEVER come here." Reading 101.... Lesson over!

Old 07-11-2009, 12:44 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,101,969 times
Ooops..,my mistake and humble apologies, all. I misread Jarndyce's comment regarding 20-somethings. That's what happens when I try to multi-task.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area