Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 06:33 PM

2 posts, read 11,479 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are relocating to Boise in August. We have visited the area three times in the past couple of years, and decided that we loved Hidden Springs. We like the idea of living in the foothills and love the access to trails and outdoor activities the community offers. With that being said, when we were in Boise were quite surprised to be greeted with negative reactions from people whenever we told them that we were considering Hidden Springs. Am I missing something here? I'd love to hear some input from a local. Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 08:11 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,362,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iadhobound View Post
My wife and I are relocating to Boise in August. We have visited the area three times in the past couple of years, and decided that we loved Hidden Springs. We like the idea of living in the foothills and love the access to trails and outdoor activities the community offers. With that being said, when we were in Boise were quite surprised to be greeted with negative reactions from people whenever we told them that we were considering Hidden Springs. Am I missing something here? I'd love to hear some input from a local. Thanks for your help.
I like Hidden Springs, it is a really nice development in a scenic little valley with the mountains rising above. I have some friends who own a home up there and the only negative things I hear about Hidden Springs is the distance into the city for eating, shopping, but the drive is not that far imo. Cell phone coverage seems to be spotty up there.

Other than that I have not heard any more negative points about that area. The homes are attractive, well built, diverse vintage styles, and there is a small town square area with a few shops.
Maybe the people you heard negativity from were jealous because they wish they had a home up there but instead they are stuck in a subdivision off of Five Mile Road

Old 06-15-2009, 09:01 PM

25 posts, read 120,333 times
I have heard others refer to Hidden Springs as "Pleasantville" as a negative connotation.

I personally like the area myself. The main concern for me would be the garbage dump (landfill) across the street from the main entrance to Hidden Springs off Seamans Gulch Rd.

Another concern would be the drive back into Boise. Depending on where you work it may be less convenient than other parts of town.

And the last concern, if you have kids is the school. Not sure if you have been following the news but they have a Charter school that has run into hard times and looks like it will be taken over by the Boise School District. The enrollment has dropped over the last couple of years and they are having trouble funding it. Which doesn't get any sympathy from those who don't live in Hidden Springs. The tax payers don't take too kindly for footing the bill for a pseudo-private school.

On a positive note (for a buyer) is that there are some great deals to be had. Plenty of short sales/foreclosures in Hidden Springs. When we were looking for a home back in 2006, you couldn't touch a house for less than 300k (and that was an entry level house). Have some friends who recently purchased a home that would have easily fetched 350k 2 years ago and they picked it up on a short sale for 190k.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:21 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,362,364 times
^^^^^^ great points but Hidden Hollow Landfill is not directly across from Hidden Springs, the entrance to the landfill is around 4 or so miles from the main entrance to Hidden Springs. I would probably have to see an aerial photo of that area to validate my point, but the landfill does not extend over the summit that drops down into Hidden Springs. The landfill is hidden away from view on the road and is closer to Hill Road and Gary Lane in Boise than it is to Hidden Springs.

Here is a link to google maps to take a look. Just click the round direction icon to view the map heading north and east.

gary lane boise - Google Maps

Old 06-15-2009, 10:45 PM

88 posts, read 327,360 times
We considered buying there but were concerned about lack off services (police, fire, etc.) if there was an emergency. They have a volunteer fire I believe but I also read some of the HOA meeting notes and there was concern that there wasn't enough coverage. I felt like I was too far away in case something happened to either of my little kids. It was just a 'feeling' I had as I am a bit of a worry wart so if you liked the area don't let that put you off. 15 mins in the car to connect to the grid isn't bad.

Here is a link to the HOA 2008 meeting notes (so very recent issues) that outlines what the residents are saying:

http://www.adaweb.net/Portals/0/Deve...gsSurvey08.pdf

Old 06-15-2009, 11:53 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,681,665 times
The negative reactions are to the fact that it's sprawl in the foothills, and the distant from town, and rightly so.

Hidden Springs was sold to the public as being a self-contained "planned community," when it's really nothing more than leapfrog development that encroached in the foothills and took away a good deal of trails (albeit private land trails) and made bizarre Stepford homes for people who like to drive Escalades, Yukons, or some other horrid SUV.

As it goes, I believe the little market there closed up, no? And while the schools were once highly sought after by many parents, isn't funding starting to dry up? I remember reading they were having money problems.

Anyway, it's always the same song and dance with these developments. Same thing with Avimor, the Cliffs, Aese Canyon, and all of these other bulls-t developments that create this "open space" nirvana marketing scam. They promise all of this infrastructure development - be it a water treatment system, a fire department, widening roads, whatever, and then once they start dozing and building they decide not to do hardly anything they promise and it ends up costing all of us extra.

My advice: skip it. You can access the foothills (and better trails, mind you) by living in the North or East end of Boise, or anywhere along Hill Road to 36th. No need to further contribute to our air pollution and sprawl problems.

Old 06-16-2009, 12:58 PM

424 posts, read 1,379,020 times
Hidden Springs is beautiful but IMHO it is very expensive and once again I would not want to be the one commuting to the rest of the treasure valley from there in the winter time as it would be very easy for access to be blocked as there is only one very narrow road that connects the two.

Old 06-16-2009, 04:08 PM

306 posts, read 1,247,663 times
I must agree with the others. We also considered Hidden Springs (Stepford - because it's so pretty) ... however, after seriously looking around it is a bit removed from everything. There is no real store in Hidden Springs so you have to go over the hill - 4 miles for everything. Granted 4 miles is not that far, but it can feel like it if you just want to make a quick run to the market or go for take out.

Additionally since Hidden Springs is in a valley, snow tends to stick around a bit longer since there is more shade in the winter. We were house hunting in the winter - when there was very tiny bits of snow left in Eagle and Boise. We were amazed at how much more snow there was in Hidden Springs ... including some very icy roads. We made a mental note of it ...

Old 06-16-2009, 04:41 PM

146 posts, read 387,619 times
hiden springs kinda reminds me of a "stepford wives" setting. hang out there for a day, meet the people, you'll see what i mean. plus you drive by a big old stinky landfill to get there. yuck.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:22 PM

88 posts, read 327,360 times
i read it was a blend of stepford and pleasanville. and we visited and saw the store was really tiny and supposedly never has anything in stock anyway and its overpriced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area