Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 03:58 PM

341 posts, read 1,673,552 times

Advertisements

We are assuming a transfer to boise and am interested in the caldwell area for living - it says about 30min west of downtown 20 min to Meridian - our work would take us to both locations - it appears this is the winery area - is this true?
What do you like or do not like about CAldwell -
thanks for any help...
Homes look reasonable; land looks peaceful - lots of families? amenitities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2007, 06:52 PM

74 posts, read 312,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVGAZ View Post
We are assuming a transfer to boise and am interested in the caldwell area for living - it says about 30min west of downtown 20 min to Meridian - our work would take us to both locations - it appears this is the winery area - is this true?
What do you like or do not like about CAldwell -
thanks for any help...
Homes look reasonable; land looks peaceful - lots of families? amenitities?

1. 30 minutes in non rush hour. An hour in rush hour.
2. Winery, YES. St. Chapelle. Very Beautiful.
3. In the past Caldwell has been seen as a less than desireable place to live, however, Albertson's College (very prestigious school) and a new and exciting downtown revitalization is just beginning. There is also a new interchange at Karcher Rd. and I-84 which is exploding with new growth.

Old 06-04-2007, 09:35 AM

Why is/was CAldwell an undesirable place to live? please explain

Old 06-04-2007, 10:24 AM

12 posts, read 81,931 times
Good morning. I live in Nampa. Caldwell has been and still is a very run down place. Considered as a slum town by a lot of us who live here. Run down houses and very trashy. Would love to see it clean up but hey Nampa is where the action is these days. As for commute to Boise. No thanks in rush hour and I have lived is much larger places.. Idaho native, born in Caldwel,l and went to schools there but wouldn't live there now

Old 06-05-2007, 11:45 AM

7 posts, read 19,531 times
A voice from experience--
Caldwell has a lot of migrant workers, many who are illegal. You won't appreciate this if you are from CA.
Be careful where you decide to buy. If you buy in one of the county areas, so you can have livestock for example and you are in a cities area of impact,you can be forcibly annexed into the city and essentially lose your property rights. Also your taxes will increase substantially.

Old 06-05-2007, 12:00 PM

Default moving from AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho Transplant View Post
A voice from experience--
Caldwell has a lot of migrant workers, many who are illegal. You won't appreciate this if you are from CA.
Be careful where you decide to buy. If you buy in one of the county areas, so you can have livestock for example and you are in a cities area of impact,you can be forcibly annexed into the city and essentially lose your property rights. Also your taxes will increase substantially.
Good day to you
we are leaving in the am to discover Boise for a week or so - and we are from Az - no livestock; I am excited to look into Boise itself as to our home - but we recently saw a great home in the Craigslist in CAldwell and we were going to go look and talk to the folks. We have a family and do like the city atmoshpere, university, long walks, trees....

Old 06-05-2007, 04:53 PM

18 posts, read 97,801 times
My wife and I just relocated to Caldwell 7 months ago from Sacramento, CA. We moved to a newer subdivision North of I-84. So far we love it, I am familiar with the past Caldwell stigma, however I do not understand it. I think it's a great place and I really like the subdivision we are in.

Some parts of Caldwell are better than other parts, but what city is not like this?

John

Old 06-14-2007, 01:22 AM

4 posts, read 29,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrie View Post
Ok, I just spoke with a person very high in the police dept ranks, he's a friend of ours, don't want to give away his name, and I asked him for the low down on the crime here and what was his opinion on things. He said out of all the areas he wouldn't even consider living in Caldwell period, no if's and's or but's. He said there is a huge migrant worker force in that area due to the agriculture and the city does not have the infrastructure to handle the crime. I wish I could give you his title, but I feel like that wouldn't be politically correct of me to do that.

So you have been warned.
Well, I know you didn't talk to the Chief of police, because he lives down the street from my family in Caldwell.

Old 06-20-2007, 10:23 PM

7 posts, read 33,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrie View Post
Nope, he's not from the Caldwell force, as I said he would never consider living in that area.

You probably live on the safest street of the city, Ha! Lucky you!

I live in Caldwell too and I doubt we live on the same street and my neighborhood is very safe. As the beautiful sunsets, which are breathtaking thruout the area, people are out walking enjoying the beauty. I know many people that live here feel very safe. It is a wonderful town. We lived in Nampa while our house was being built and I got to say I didn't feel as safe there as I do here.

When we moved here I noticed many friends that lived in Nampa would insult Caldwell, but ya know it was because of the Hispanic population, which are hard working familes from all walks of life. There is much racism here in the Treasure Valley against the Hispanics. Not to say you are that way, it was a observation I got of my own friends. We even had a real estate agent tell us we didn't want to live in Caldwell because there were too many Mexicans. We didn't use him to buy our house.

There is so much culture here, many performances that happen in Boise go on at Albertson College and it cost less. Many other activites that are Caldwells own. Caldwell is a great place to live and IMO the best in Idaho.

The police here are on top of whatever happens, which isn't much at all.

I guess the only problem I have with the area is the racisim and its very sad, but I guess its everywhere, but I don't think so much in Caldwell. I think its more of a melting pot here.:-)

Old 06-21-2007, 07:35 AM

7 posts, read 33,046 times
I am sorry I thought I was clear that I wasn't talking about you being racist but my own friends were. And the real estate agent that I was talking about happened to be a acquantince of my parents going back 60 years. I was not infering you were racist just that it is a problem in the Treasure Valley.

Acorrding to what I read in the newpaper it seems to be that crime isn't any different here then the rest of the area. And because of the stress the police have been feeling because of the quick jump in population they have stepped up to take care of it. I haven't seen that to be the case anywhere else. But then maybe I haven't paid as much attention to the other towns close by.

I just think Caldwell gets slammed by too many people that haven't lived here. So I guess I am rather defensive. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area