Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 03:26 PM

10 posts, read 46,118 times

Advertisements

My family and I are thinking about moving from Portland to Eagle or Meridian or surrounding areas. I have read most of the blogs and gotten some good info.
My questions are: Need to know if people are real and friendly in Boise, Meridian or Eagle. Also, what is the inversion layer people are talking about? Are the days during the summer or anytime for that matter, crisp, clear and blue skies? Or is there a white hays lingering around all the time like Portland? Someone said that the summers in Portland are beautiful. Well guess what they have obviously not been any where else in the world. The summers are humid and a white hays is always around to block the sun from fully getting through. And then you blink and the weather changes for the worse. Can't count on it for anything.
We like to RV and camp and plan our springs, summers and falls ahead of time. Can't do that in Portland. We have to head east just to see beautiful blue skies.
The blogs are confusing, because one person says it's great and another can't stand it. Is there anyone that can compare the southern ca summers (excluding the intense heat) to Boise?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 11:52 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,364,703 times
Quote:
Are people friendlier in Meridian/Boise than Portland?

Yes.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:43 AM

805 posts, read 2,001,481 times
Southern California still has fog at times in the morning depending on how close you are to the coast. Which usually disapates at around 11. I haven't experienced a summer here yet, but i'm told 105 is a normal temp to expect, and all i hear is complaints from many locals (just kidding guys). and that blue skys are to be expected as a regular. Also the sun stays out here really long!!! Until like 10pm in the summer time. I dunno, it may be the same in Portland
I'm originally from phoenix, and 105 sounds perfect for me! But i'm just a crazy arizonian haha.
The inversions, i haven't really experienced either. I've been here since December and have ran into MAYBE a half dozen nights of fog, although it was overcast almost every day it seemed like until early march.

That's funny you are considering moving here. My wife and I are considering Portland in a couple of years....And i hear the outdoors over there is amazing?? But like you said, these blogs are confusing one person loves it and another hates it.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:33 PM

Default So. CA. vs Portland

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmadsm View Post
Southern California still has fog at times in the morning depending on how close you are to the coast. Which usually disapates at around 11. I haven't experienced a summer here yet, but i'm told 105 is a normal temp to expect, and all i hear is complaints from many locals (just kidding guys). and that blue skys are to be expected as a regular. Also the sun stays out here really long!!! Until like 10pm in the summer time. I dunno, it may be the same in Portland
I'm originally from phoenix, and 105 sounds perfect for me! But i'm just a crazy arizonian haha.
The inversions, i haven't really experienced either. I've been here since December and have ran into MAYBE a half dozen nights of fog, although it was overcast almost every day it seemed like until early march.

That's funny you are considering moving here. My wife and I are considering Portland in a couple of years....And i hear the outdoors over there is amazing?? But like you said, these blogs are confusing one person loves it and another hates it.
Thanks for the info. I am still a little confused as to what the inversion is but I will look it up on-line.
I have lived in So. CA. my entire life (45 yrs) Mostly Chatsworth where I grew up and then Simi Valley for about 15 years. I will say this, your in for some good weather. What you have experienced so far is soon to pass. June gloom is pretty constant. One month of dare i say it "Portland'ish weather" and then you will know when summer hits. Yes, 105 is about the norm but it only lasts for about a week may be two maybe. Up and down between the 90's and low 100's until November. However, go to the beach and it will drop about 40 degrees and the blue sky and blue water, will take your breath away. However, a million other people will be enjoying it with you so be prepared for the crouds.
I miss the crisp blue skies and the dry smell in the mornings during the summer or anytime for that matter. I also miss the mountains in Simi. The color of the rocks are just amazing at certain times of the year. However, there is a lot of ca I do not miss. Smog, gangs, crouds, kids attitudes.
If things don't change here in Portland I am gone.
Now as for Portland, I have a lot to say and will keep it brief. The people are unfriendly. Much more friendly in ca. The rain is unbareable, but ontop of that the constant gray skies are enough to slit your wrists. Fish belong here not people. The people are erratic and jumpy and you make one wrong move driving and your going to get flipped off. Depending on what area your from, the people are still living in the 60's and have never heard of make-up or hair dye. And trust me, some of these people need make-up. CA had people that were in much better shape and at least made them selves up a bit. Groom people for petes sake.
I know this sounds a bit harsh but that is just the beginning. Ha, ha.
As for the trees and Mt. Hood and some surrounding areas it beautiful. If you can see it through all the rain and gray. If you do move here prepare to be inside 4-5 months of the year. I don't talk to some neighbors for almost 3 months at times because everybody drives in the garage, shuts the door and that's it.
At least in CA the sun is out, people are out most of the year gardening, mowing, talking to neighbors, doing projects outside and walking. Not here.
The one good thing is that people are more family oriented here than CA. You can go to the state parks and see families having a good time. CA is just about partying and blaring marachi music. We have an RV and love to travel and have never had a bad time camping. Again, the weather is cold , but if you go during summer, you will love it. More humid than CA, but tolerable.
The first chance I have to get my family out of Portland I will do it. It's just not healthy being stuck inside so long and the schools are horrible. On the emergency list. The things I have heard from neighbors abd out the things that go on in these schools is terrible. Save your kids is you can.
Happy Easter!

Gave you an earful huh. Sorry! Hope this helps.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:44 PM

805 posts, read 2,001,481 times
Yeah I am a previous resident in the Irvine/Aliso Viejo area. So i know what you are saying.

the weather i was referencing was here in boise, other than the morning fog of CA. sorry for the confusion

Old 04-05-2010, 09:33 AM

31 posts, read 115,516 times
Quote:

Hope you do better in Portalnd and enjoy it more then we do. We have lived here 22 years and it use to be a really nice place. Now, people are not as friendly, always waiving with one finger, even when doing a little beyond the speed limit they will tailgate you. Work is lousy hope you have a job before coming. Real Estate sales are in the dumper. We are looking to move to Boise area in 2-3 months. One last rental to rent is all (I hope)

Old 04-05-2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Yeah I am a previous resident in the Irvine/Aliso Viejo area. So i know what you are saying.

the weather i was referencing was here in boise, other than the morning fog of CA. sorry for the confusion
Thanks. One more comment to you about CA. The days are long in CA but not as long as in the nothrwest. We have light till 10pm during the summer but ca it's until 9pm. That was one of the first things I noticed. Also, the heat of the day is usually 1-2pm in ca and it's 4-5pm here in Oregon. Not sure why, but that's the way it is. FYI

You must read the note from 18dd2. They were not as rudely colorful as I was but the point well taken. I honestly thought based on what my wife told me was that the people in the northwest were friendly, slower paced, take it easy types, love eachother mentaility. NOT! Much more uppity. There are beautiful things to see, but as I stated it all depends on the weather. Blink and it will change. Mostly for the worse. Only a handful of times did we luck out and it worked in our favor. We went to Bend one summer and it was a warm beautiful weekend. Tank tops and shorts weather, the sunday we left, it started snowing. So be careful. If you like cold wet hiking and biking this is your place.
Fashion is another issue here. You might want to go through the old clothes and bring out the leasure suit and polyester dress. Stripes, pasley, and pokadots are all things that match here. Add a few tattoos and nose ring and you will fit right in. You will see a normal person walking down the street, and you will think finally a normal perosn, then you will notice the socks. Stripes in pink, blue and purple. And that's the guys.
I was at Church yesterday and looked over and a guy was dressed in pink slacks, a white sport coat with a purple tie and white shoes. WOW! That said it all. Be worned. When you see bumber stickers that say "Keep Portland Weird" they mean it.

When I first moved here I was being yelled at by a lady in a parking lot with her little child next her. She was upset because she was backing up and I drove into a parking space too fast. I was about 100 feet from her. And then I went into the store and came out and she was still there yelling at me. Ballsy that's for sure. Control freaks IMO. Watch out for the middle-aged women with black glasses they are brutal. Hope I didn't offend.

I think I have said enough don't you?

Old 04-05-2010, 02:24 PM

25 posts, read 78,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemytwokids View Post
Thanks. One more comment to you about CA. The days are long in CA but not as long as in the nothrwest. We have light till 10pm during the summer but ca it's until 9pm. That was one of the first things I noticed. Also, the heat of the day is usually 1-2pm in ca and it's 4-5pm here in Oregon. Not sure why, but that's the way it is. FYI

You must read the note from 18dd2. They were not as rudely colorful as I was but the point well taken. I honestly thought based on what my wife told me was that the people in the northwest were friendly, slower paced, take it easy types, love eachother mentaility. NOT! Much more uppity. There are beautiful things to see, but as I stated it all depends on the weather. Blink and it will change. Mostly for the worse. Only a handful of times did we luck out and it worked in our favor. We went to Bend one summer and it was a warm beautiful weekend. Tank tops and shorts weather, the sunday we left, it started snowing. So be careful. If you like cold wet hiking and biking this is your place.
Fashion is another issue here. You might want to go through the old clothes and bring out the leasure suit and polyester dress. Stripes, pasley, and pokadots are all things that match here. Add a few tattoos and nose ring and you will fit right in. You will see a normal person walking down the street, and you will think finally a normal perosn, then you will notice the socks. Stripes in pink, blue and purple. And that's the guys.
I was at Church yesterday and looked over and a guy was dressed in pink slacks, a white sport coat with a purple tie and white shoes. WOW! That said it all. Be worned. When you see bumber stickers that say "Keep Portland Weird" they mean it.

When I first moved here I was being yelled at by a lady in a parking lot with her little child next her. She was upset because she was backing up and I drove into a parking space too fast. I was about 100 feet from her. And then I went into the store and came out and she was still there yelling at me. Ballsy that's for sure. Control freaks IMO. Watch out for the middle-aged women with black glasses they are brutal. Hope I didn't offend.

I think I have said enough don't you?
I think you have indeed said enough. Although you mentioned in your first post that you are interested in the opinion of the so-called "conservative" posters on this forum, after reading several of your rants, I can't resist putting my two cents in.
Are you familiar with the saying "Seek and ye shall find"? Well, I can guarantee that you won't be happy if you move to Boise either. If you are looking for the bad in a person, place or thing, you'll be sure to find it eventually. There is no such thing as the "perfect place" to live anyway. If you stay in any given place long enough, you sooner or later will find something that you don't like about it. That's just life. What needs to change is your outlook on it. Who cares if a person wears purple socks or pink slacks--it doesn't matter to God, why should it matter to you?

Old 04-05-2010, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishredhead667 View Post
I think you have indeed said enough. Although you mentioned in your first post that you are interested in the opinion of the so-called "conservative" posters on this forum, after reading several of your rants, I can't resist putting my two cents in.
Are you familiar with the saying "Seek and ye shall find"? Well, I can guarantee that you won't be happy if you move to Boise either. If you are looking for the bad in a person, place or thing, you'll be sure to find it eventually. There is no such thing as the "perfect place" to live anyway. If you stay in any given place long enough, you sooner or later will find something that you don't like about it. That's just life. What needs to change is your outlook on it. Who cares if a person wears purple socks or pink slacks--it doesn't matter to God, why should it matter to you?
Good point. And I agree with you that no place is perfect and the likes and dislikes will be prevalent after time. And I agree that we should not judge others. I do apologize if anyone was affended. But in my defense to say that I will not be happy anywhere if I don't change my attitude is totally generic. Religions, towns, states and countries have been formed based on very specific likes and dislikes. Some people are more particular than others and some people are the live and let live types. Believe me when I say I am not looking for the bad in people and would like nothing more than to see the good in people. However, when the pattern of people act in certain ways or wear certain things or put certain things in there body or allow there bodies to be stretched out to unproportionate means, they are trying to make a statement. Those statements affect my kids and I truly believe it's my right to protect them the best I can from anything harmful or destructive.
All I want to know is if the people in Boise are friendlier than the people Portland? If people know the answer and can handle my obviously strange sense of humor please respond. If you don't what I am asking, don't respond. Thanks

Old 04-05-2010, 07:21 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,840,763 times
Personally, I think people in Boise are EXTREMELY friendly. We are there for sports several weekends a year, and we've made friends just from people we run into at sporting matches, even conversations waiting for a table at Cheesecake Factory at the mall. Yes, it's just my anecdotal experience, but there you go...my $.02 as a "frequent visitor" to Boise.

I've only been to Portland once. I didn't care for it much, but not because of the people...mostly because albeit pretty I found it just another overcrowded metro area where freeway drivers were rude in the extreme, which isn't a smear against Portland...I think that happens anywhere you have too many people in too few square miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: