Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Edward & Bella OR Sookie & Bill
the Twilight series 8 19.51%
the Sookie Stackhouse series 19 46.34%
Oh, I hate the vampire hype! 10 24.39%
both 4 9.76%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 10:25 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,160,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Regarding Sookie: I looked the books up on Amazon and people really seem to love them. The few negative points they got were from Kindle people who are upset at the publisher for tacking on $20 to the ebook price as opposed to the paperbacks.

They said they were well written.

I think I will get the 8 boxed set and purchase the 9th individually.

Thank you for your help with this.
Let us know what you think! Oh - and I think there are 10 so far - but the 10th is only available in hardback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 12:44 AM

852 posts, read 1,365,053 times
I think it depends on age. If I was a teen or in my early twenties, I might like Twilight, but as a woman in her 40s, I thought it was crap. The Sookie Stackhouse series is a far cry from high art, but that's what I love about it. It's good campy fun, and I enjoyed being in Sookie's head.

Old 08-16-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucygirl951 View Post
I think it depends on age. If I was a teen or in my early twenties, I might like Twilight, but as a woman in her 40s, I thought it was crap. The Sookie Stackhouse series is a far cry from high art, but that's what I love about it. It's good campy fun, and I enjoyed being in Sookie's head.
With all due respect - I disagree! I'm not saying that Twilight is fine art or anything - but I wouldn't say that it is definitely an age thing. I'm in my 30's and I loved it. I gave the book to my friend's wife (who is 40) and she loved it. She gave the book to her husband's mother (who is in her 60's), who gave the book to my mother (who is in her 60's), who gave the book to 2 of her closest friends (in their 60's) - and they all loved it. I think it is just personal taste. For me - it brought be back to my teen years! Even though I'm not a teen anymore - I still fell in love with the story.

Old 08-16-2010, 04:04 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,335,074 times
I find sookie stackhouse to be funny. I like how Claude is a fairy and he is actually gay. So far I prefer this series to twilight I'm only on booky 6 though.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:41 PM

852 posts, read 1,365,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
I find sookie stackhouse to be funny. I like how Claude is a fairy and he is actually gay. So far I prefer this series to twilight I'm only on booky 6 though.
My favorite book in the series is the one when Sookie finds Eric on the side of the road. Was that 3 or 4? Anyway, 8 is also a good Eric book. I'm sure you know what I mean.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucygirl951 View Post
My favorite book in the series is the one when Sookie finds Eric on the side of the road. Was that 3 or 4? Anyway, 8 is also a good Eric book. I'm sure you know what I mean.
It's 4. I think that one is my favorite. I hope that True Blood keeps that plot line!!!

Old 09-16-2010, 12:39 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,966,786 times
My guy sure knows how to please a girl. He bought the entire set in paperback for me. I have a list to read before getting to them, though. THanks for all the good comments here.

Old 09-16-2010, 01:21 PM

1,872 posts, read 3,407,846 times
I want you guys to know that - because of this thread - I went and bought the boxed set, just to see if I would like them. And if I did not like them, no prob. I could always re-sell them on Amazon.

My initial plan was: I'd read them on and off, inbetween other books, so I didn't saturate myself with this series. Because, sitting on my night stand is: EatLovePray, The Alchemist, and Just A Couple Of Chickens. Waiting to be read.

Still waiting.

The reality is: I started the first Sookie book at the end of July and have not been able to set them down, much less leave Bon Temps for another story entirely. I am now on book 5 of the series and it just gets better and better as I learn the characters. Each book reveals a new variety of 'supe'. I love it! I am especially pleased whenever Bubba makes an appearance, and I also liked the one (mentioned above) where she found Eric on the side of the road.

So, having read all the Twilight series and most of the Sookie Stackhouse series, I would have to vote for Sookie because it is a much richer storyline and there is way less teenage angst.

It's yer guys' fault! And thankyouverymuch

Old 09-16-2010, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egglady View Post
I want you guys to know that - because of this thread - I went and bought the boxed set, just to see if I would like them. And if I did not like them, no prob. I could always re-sell them on Amazon.

My initial plan was: I'd read them on and off, inbetween other books, so I didn't saturate myself with this series. Because, sitting on my night stand is: EatLovePray, The Alchemist, and Just A Couple Of Chickens. Waiting to be read.

Still waiting.

The reality is: I started the first Sookie book at the end of July and have not been able to set them down, much less leave Bon Temps for another story entirely. I am now on book 5 of the series and it just gets better and better as I learn the characters. Each book reveals a new variety of 'supe'. I love it! I am especially pleased whenever Bubba makes an appearance, and I also liked the one (mentioned above) where she found Eric on the side of the road.

So, having read all the Twilight series and most of the Sookie Stackhouse series, I would have to vote for Sookie because it is a much richer storyline and there is way less teenage angst.

It's yer guys' fault! And thankyouverymuch
Awesome! Keep enjoying the ride!

I still love both series - for different reasons. I'm glad that the Sookie series isn't over yet!

Old 09-18-2010, 11:09 PM

69 posts, read 110,240 times
I love Edward to death and all, but Eric Northman does it to me every time. He is the man. <3

And Sookie is way cooler than Bella.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books