Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 09:51 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,169,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhs119 View Post
Go>>
John Grisham

I haven't read anything in a while--hope he has written something recently.

Tell me your favorite John Grisham stories.

Love them all. A Time to Kill & The Painted House were my faves. Was disappointed by the Innocent Man & haven't read the latest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 04:24 PM

291 posts, read 831,889 times
His usual law and crime books are great, but The Bleechers, Skipping Christmas and A Painted House are... well, even better.

Actually, A Painted House is in my top 5 books ever. If I ever make it to visit the States, will surely stop by in Black Oak, Arkansas.

Can't share my fondness for Mr Grisham with my friends around here, since he’s considered to be trivial - but excuse them since they are all the Russian classics addicts (Im one too, but still...)...

Old 01-11-2013, 08:32 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
The books written by John Grisham since the last posting on this thread:
The Appeal (2008)
The Associate (2009)
The Confession (2010)
The Litigators (2011)
Calico Joe (2012)
The Racketeer (2012)

Old 01-12-2013, 01:36 PM

283 posts, read 508,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princesspolamalu View Post
There is a new book out called Playing for Pizza, however all of the reviews I have read so far have been terrible. Its not his usual legal thriller. It has something to do with playing football in Italy. Im a sports fan and think I might enjoy it, but even the men reviewing it have not had good things to say about it. Maybe I will wait for the paperback.
"Playing for Pizza" isn't all that new; I read it about five years ago.

It was OK, not great, but a fun, light read, if you're an NFL fan.

It was about a former Cleveland Browns journeyman QB who screwed-up so bad in a a playoff game at home that he was pretty much run out of town and then let-go by his team and deemed unwantable by other teams. So he went to Italy to play in the fledgling pro league over there.

The problems he has dealing with the cultures and the inferior amenities, pay, and skill level of football in Europe is humorous. The story reminded me a bit of the old Tom Selleck movie where he went to Japan to play baseball after spending years in the Major Leagues here.

I think "Playing..." might make a good little movie someday; maybe a TV movie or something.

Having said all that, I love Grisham and have read just about everything he's written. My favorites are "The Client" and "A Time to Kill." (And I think those two are also the best movies to be adapted from one of his books.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books