Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 12:06 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,224,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by philwithbeard View Post
Sorry,

I have been consuming about 3 novels per week since Easter. Getting bored with H. Hornblower, Space Operas, Sword and Sorcery, Wizards, Dead Bodies, Murder, Mayhem, plus I have re-read the Clancy novels. I got sucked into the Asaro novels due to a really great short story I found in one of my SF anthologies, and it was downhill from there.

I discovered there is a minor genre combining Sword & Sorcery Fantasy with Romance novels as sort of Plot driven romance novels, but let's face facts here, Romance and SF / fantasy novels are all just "it-ain't-going-to-happen-in-real-life" fantasies anyway.

I didn't expect anyone from the Portland forum to recognize me over here, BTW. Please, no need to gossip it around, as it were.

Besides, I cannot be responsible if the County Library calls the Mead books SF. I mean, yes, her books have Demons, Angles, and Vampire hunters, and such, and not a bodice being ripped from heaving chests anywhere, but this just ain't Timothy Zahn (Night Train to Rigel) by any means.

Phil

PS: Powell's books Beaverton, Downtown, and SE Hawthorne make up another reason I moved to Portland in the 1st place. Makes Border's pitiful, and Barnes and Nobel a downright joke by comparison.

lol, didn't mean to be so judgy. I've read my share of - um, embarrassing books. I knew they were bad, written poorly, and just plain old cheese fest, but I kept on reading.

You should try Murakami's "A Wild Sheep Chase", also if you haven't read it Lightman's "Einstein's Dream". Less cheese and much more respected yet still encapsulating a fantasy aspect.

I wonder if Powell's is as big as NYC's Strand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 03:36 PM

80 posts, read 112,353 times
If I understand your post correctly, the reason you see so few novels where the male protagonist steps in to rescue the floundering, unlovable, otherwise unworthy female protagonist is because publishers don't want them. Most readers don't want them. The current trend is for the woman to rescue herself from her situation. Possibly if you looked into romance novels written 30 years ago or so (6o's and early 70's) or what was called "gothic" novels--helpless female comes to live in creepy mansion no woman in her right mind would spend 10 minutes in--you'd find the kind of characters you're looking for.

Cheers,
Jann

Old 09-08-2010, 05:17 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,324,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JannAZ View Post
If I understand your post correctly, the reason you see so few novels where the male protagonist steps in to rescue the floundering, unlovable, otherwise unworthy female protagonist is because publishers don't want them. Most readers don't want them. The current trend is for the woman to rescue herself from her situation. Possibly if you looked into romance novels written 30 years ago or so (6o's and early 70's) or what was called "gothic" novels--helpless female comes to live in creepy mansion no woman in her right mind would spend 10 minutes in--you'd find the kind of characters you're looking for.

Cheers,
Jann
There's 'gothic' and then there's 'gothic' - one that's well done doesn't have a helpless woman in a creepy mansion waiting to be rescued. Those written by Mary Stewart, Madeleine Brent, and Laura Black come to mind. Their heroines were capable of rescuing themselves, but it was a lot more interesting if they had a partner and a bit of romance thrown in - but they were all essentially PG-13. Remember, Walt Disney made a movie out of The Moonspinners.

Historicals reflect particular time periods, contemporaries reflect - naturally - the current social norms. The ones that seem to be out of synch are the comtemporary romances that were written in earlier decades - the social mores may not seem all that different, but there is still a somewhat skewed POV.

Old 10-30-2010, 01:12 PM
qwy qwy started this thread

296 posts, read 520,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JannAZ View Post
If I understand your post correctly, the reason you see so few novels where the male protagonist steps in to rescue the floundering, unlovable, otherwise unworthy female protagonist is because publishers don't want them. Most readers don't want them. The current trend is for the woman to rescue herself from her situation.
Cheers,
Jann
Hey you misunderstood what I was trying to say. I wasn't saying that I want to read about a helpless women who can't even tie her own shoes without the help of a man, what I meant was that I'm tired of seeing all these boodks aobut romance but the woman is usually the one with all the worth while qualities and the man is usually their just for a... well a... sex object. Okay maybe not that far but you know what I mean, she is smart strong, intelligent, and with the exception of a few small issues she pretty much has her life together, while he on the other hand outwardly is rich, tall, handsome, well built, and some kind of hero, vampire, ex-god, high powered business man or whatever, inwardly he is emotionally wounded or hurt and after years (if he's human) or thousands of years only she can do what he wasn't able to do himself... return love back to his heart.

I mean it's fanatasy mostly geared toward women I get it, but I always thought women wanted a great guy, not some sexy as hell baby who needs cuddling? Doesn't a great or for the matter a good guy have it together mentally, and isn't it possible and yes I know it's a stretch, but isn't possible that a women can meet a great guy who changes her life for the better; that makes her smile, that makes her happy to be alive, that makes her believe that try love exist...

Old 11-01-2010, 12:59 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,191,350 times
So these don't quite fit all the categories you're looking for, but look into J.D Robb's "In Death" series. The main thread is Murder mystery /Romance set around police work, so may hit high enough on the manly scale for you. The main character is an emotionally unstable police Lt who has a brilliant and sexy billionaire fall in love with her and has to really work at convincing her she's not a lost cause. It's an awesome series, and sure to keep you occupied for a while. I think she's in the high twenties on this particular series. Even if it doesn't hit what you're looking for here....I highly recommend them. Naked in Death, Glory in Death and Immortal in Death are the first three. You'll be hooked

Old 12-07-2010, 03:01 PM
qwy qwy started this thread

296 posts, read 520,396 times
Well does anyone know of any book forums that I could join to get this question answered

Old 12-07-2010, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwy View Post
Well does anyone know of any book forums that I could join to get this question answered
You could try looking for some of your favorite writers on facebook. Most of the forums and blogs I've been involved with have disbanded and the individual writers are there now.

Old 12-07-2010, 05:56 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,484,001 times
Quote:
......I mean it's fanatasy mostly geared toward women I get it, but I always thought women wanted a great guy, not some sexy as hell baby who needs cuddling? Doesn't a great or for the matter a good guy have it together mentally, and isn't it possible and yes I know it's a stretch, but isn't possible that a women can meet a great guy who changes her life for the better; that makes her smile, that makes her happy to be alive, that makes her believe that try love exist...
You could try either of two authors.....
Lois McMaster-Bujold (sometimes just Lois Bujold) and her "Sharing Knife" series of books - well written strongish type woman who meets a strong and forceful male. The sharing knife is a plot gimmick for a special knife used to kill, or destroy, evil blobs of menace and supernatural power.

Trudi Canavan and her novel The Magician's Apprentice has a great heroine at the center of the story, albeit a bit short on the romance & erotic passages. This is a stand alone volume in a much longer series.

Both of these authors can be found in the Science Fiction & Fantasy portion of your library or book store.

Aside: I do not recommend you try to tackle Ms. Canavan's Priestess in White series; early work and not up to her latter work wordsmith standards.

I have other suggestions if you want, which if you care for, I can send you by Direct Messaging.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:

I mean it's fanatasy mostly geared toward women I get it, but I always thought women wanted a great guy, not some sexy as hell baby who needs cuddling? Doesn't a great or for the matter a good guy have it together mentally, and isn't it possible and yes I know it's a stretch, but isn't possible that a women can meet a great guy who changes her life for the better; that makes her smile, that makes her happy to be alive, that makes her believe that try love exist...
Try some of Elizabeth Lowell's romantic suspense, like Death Echo and The Wrong Hostage. Not necessarily sexy men or women in the traditional sense, but sexy to each other, and both entirely capable of handling whatever comes up. There are other writers doing the same kind of thing as well, Jayne Ann Krentz, Rachel Lee, Catherine Coulter, to name just a few. They've done the pure romance, but they do other genres as well - and just as well.

Old 12-10-2010, 02:38 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,734,968 times
There's an older book by Anne Stuart (circa 1985) called 'Banish Misfortune' that may interest you. The heroine in the book sounds like a cool, detached, successful professional on the outside, but inside she's a tormented soul; she's anorexic, contemplating using her body to "seal a deal", and is engaged to a man who doesn't love her. She has scars on her wrists, tangible proof of her inner torment. In short, she is a mess. It's the hero who helps her get better with a no nonsense attitude. If you've ever read Anne Stuart before, you'll know that she doesn't write coddling heroes.

Here's a link to the book's review on all about romance website:
ALL ABOUT ROMANCE (novels) reviews Banish Misfortune by Anne Stuart

I'm sure Amazon or Ebay would have a used copy of this book.

Speaking of joining a website, I highly recommend All About Romance website, and as the name implies, it's all about romance. I like AAR website because the reviews are fair, the readers are very knowledgeable and helpful, and the discussions are always repectful to each other (some romance books' websites can be really catty at times). Check it out, you may learn about new authors that you'll end up putting on your autobuy list
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books