Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 07:10 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,328,351 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure this is the right forum but none of the other forums quite seem to fit either. We have a book in Hebrew which neither of us reads.

I've always been curious about the book and haven't been able to track it on-line, not even through the publisher. It has an elaborate, embossed, metal cover binding, possibly silver or silver-plated with a menorah (candelabra type thing anyway) on one (the back side of it, with the outside framed with leaves and artistic type squiggles.

On the other (the "right" side, if you are reading right to left, the middle of the cover features a representation of the tablets (10 Commandments) Moses received on the mouth, topped with a crown and the tablets and the crown both feature matte blue stones. That side is framed with 10 more engravings, ranging from the Star of David to a Torah scroll, to what is presumably the Wailing Wall. Each engraving has a Hebrew word beneath it.

Due to the fact that there are ten engravings, and the center is comprised of what is clearly meant to be tablets, I assume that the engravings possibly represent each of the commandments.

It was published in 1967 by Sinai Publishing in Tel Aviv. That is the only bilingual wording in the 1384 page book. It is maybe 5" by 3 inches.

I always assumed but don't know for sure that it is the Torah. On the outside, in Hebrew, it says either [SIZE=3]ח or ה (I can't make the calligraphy out), and then ʖ ך
but I may be writing it backwards.
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]So my question is is this the Torah or a collection of prayers or Psalms and has anyone ever come across a similar or the exact same book?
[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 10:09 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,328,033 times
You may have a real gem on your hands.

Here is what I would do:

Go to a local synagog and ask the rabbi or if you are near a university, check to see if it offers a Hebrew class. Ask the prof.

I'd love to see that book. Your description of the cover is so real to me that I can almost feel my fingers running over the cover.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:05 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
I'm going to email my brother-in-law and see if he can translate that for you. I'll be back once he's answered! He may even know what exactly the book is. In any case, I'll let you know as soon as he responds to my email.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:30 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,461,907 times
I read Hebrew, but I can't get anything definite from your description except that it's surely religious in nature (hardly a revelation). If you want to take a good picture of it and send it to me, I'll take a look. It could be a prayer book or book of instruction. I tend to think it's not a Torah, because I have one, and while all Torahs of course don't look alike, mine has embossed gold lettering on the spine (looks a lot like some old school Bibles) that clearly identifies it as a Torah. You didn't describe that (three Hebrew words, which I would not expect you to be able to read or render here), so I suspect it isn't a Torah.

Old 10-21-2010, 05:05 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
Hi! Just heard back from my brother-in-law late last night. This is what he said (and asked):

Quote:
Based on the descriptions, the # of pages, and the letters (as well as the metal cover), I believe it's a 'Tanach' - which is an acronynm for Torah(*1)/Neviim(*2)/Ketuvim(*3).
*1 - Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Number, Deuteronomy
*2 - Joshua, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Kings, Samuel, etc
*3 - Song of Songs, Lamentations, Ecclesiastes, Proverbs, etc

In other words, TANACH is the entire body of Judaism's divine literature (AKA Old Testament).
Does it look like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/BIBLE-TANACH-JEWELED-SILVERED-COVERS-MINT-EN-HE-REDUCED-/140465431810?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20b464 6502

Old 10-22-2010, 01:06 AM

Thanks for your comments. Below is a photo of the front cover of the book. For some reason I'm having trouble uploading more photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Question for those who know Hebrew-100_0691.jpg  

Old 10-22-2010, 01:53 AM

Okay, I tried again and I have a photo, not real clear unfortunately, showing the spine and the Hebrew title. And I have a photo of the back cover of the book.

Dandj - yes, it is almost identical to the Tanach in your link: not as elaborate with the jewels on the tablets though, and it is only in Hebrew, not in English.

It sure is a beautiful book though.
Attached Thumbnails
Question for those who know Hebrew-100_0694.jpg   Question for those who know Hebrew-100_0695.jpg  

Old 10-22-2010, 02:34 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,461,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Okay, I tried again and I have a photo, not real clear unfortunately, showing the spine and the Hebrew title. And I have a photo of the back cover of the book.

Dandj - yes, it is almost identical to the Tanach in your link: not as elaborate with the jewels on the tablets though, and it is only in Hebrew, not in English.

It sure is a beautiful book though.
There's no more doubt. On the post where you have two images, the first clearly says 'Tanach'. Tav, nun, final chaf (Hebrew has two letters that can produce the guttural CH as in chutzpah). It's an Old Testament, and by the looks of it, a very ornate one. DandJ was dead on.

Old 10-22-2010, 04:51 AM

417 posts, read 455,717 times
Good sleuthing all! Yes, Tanach is bible in Hebrew.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:11 AM

Was I right in believing that the ten engravings on the front cover with the tablets, are representations of the 10 Commandments? The link Dandj provided had 12 engravings, denoting the 12 tribes. My Tanach has only ten.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books