Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 11:40 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Haha, I have managed to resist this. I'm a sample junkie. If I'm interested in a book, I download the sample to read later and then only after reading the sample do I buy the book. But because the samples are free, it's even easier to load up on them!
It's a great idea to download the sample first, especially in books not from a major publisher - that way you'll know how well formatted the book is for Kindle. There have been some books that were so badly formatted (especially among the free or very low cost out-of-copyright books) that they were unreadable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 11:46 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
I chose the Nook color over the Kindle. It was the right decision. YMMV.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:05 PM

2,482 posts, read 6,533,345 times
I have yet to purchase one of these e readers.

One reason it I like to go to the book store and browse and purchase books. I like the feel of having a book in my hands.

Also I didn't want to go with the craziness of the Kindle purchases at Christmas time. A co worker got one at Christmas- she brought it in to work and it did look bland and average. She got the $189 Wifi one- she loves it. But if I were to spend that kind of money I would want a colored one. Like the Nook....but I am still waiting it out. I like the feel of a book in my hand. The e reader would only come handy if I was a traveler. I am still really undecided if I will ever really get on board with the e reader thing.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:48 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,562,914 times
there's a fabulous e-reader forum here:

MobileRead Forums

that has all kinds of information on e-readers , software, formats, etc.

not that this forum is bad, just in case nobody here knows.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:20 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,881,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
It's a great idea to download the sample first, especially in books not from a major publisher - that way you'll know how well formatted the book is for Kindle. There have been some books that were so badly formatted (especially among the free or very low cost out-of-copyright books) that they were unreadable.
It's also a good way to get an idea of the writing style and quality. There's been a few books I wound up not buying because the writing in the sample was just that bad, I no longer had any interest in it.

Quote:
Also I didn't want to go with the craziness of the Kindle purchases at Christmas time. A co worker got one at Christmas- she brought it in to work and it did look bland and average. She got the $189 Wifi one- she loves it.
You must mean the 3G+Wifi which is $189. The Wifi only Kindle is $139.

Quote:
But if I were to spend that kind of money I would want a colored one. Like the Nook....but I am still waiting it out. I like the feel of a book in my hand. The e reader would only come handy if I was a traveler. I am still really undecided if I will ever really get on board with the e reader thing.
If you like the feel of a book, I think you'd like an e-ink product better than a backlit color screen. It looks just like paper and ink so visually, it does have more of a "book feel" to it. Backlit screens have more of an electronic "gadget" feel to me (which is fine, I still read on my iPhone sometimes too but I can't deny I love the way e-ink looks). Color e-ink IS on the horizon though so keep an eye out for it.

Old 01-18-2011, 04:51 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,900,987 times
Just got the Kindle delivered about an hour ago. Got it charging per the instructions. Earlier this afternoon I was watching the movie "Cujo" I've never read the book, so guess what I purchased as my first Kindle book?

Old 01-18-2011, 05:08 PM

40 posts, read 113,219 times
Happy you got a Kindle you will love it.

Old 01-18-2011, 06:29 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,900,987 times
I thought about the Nook color. Researched it for a long while. The one advantage the Nook color has over the Kindle is in the magazine arena. When it comes to reading books (which is why I have this), e-ink it the way to go. If I were to get something that was LCD driven, I would get the iPad. I really think there will come a point in time that e-ink and color combine and look great. We aren't there yet, but I am sure it will be coming.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:21 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
IMO the iPad is the best magazine reader, hands-down. $Expensive$, though. The Zinio ap is my favorite. There is also no comparison in the web browsers used in the ipad and any of the ereaders, which are clunky AT BEST.

But I still prefer to read books on my Kindle.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:55 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,945,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
Not that it matters to me much, but I noticed J.K. Rowling forbids any of her works to be on e-readers. I know she is wealthy to no end, but I find that to be a bad business decision in my opinion.
She is not the only one. Several authors have taken that stance. Not that it is really hurting her...I have all her books and our local library has about 30 copies of each volume! I have to support her in some ways. I have mixed feelings with kids learning with iPads and Kindles in school. I am not that old by any means, but I remember library time being one of my favorite things. Old card catalogs, and just browsing books was a nice part of my education. I liked when card catalogs were computerized, but now having all books that way is a bit surreal. I never could have imagined that technology would develop so quickly to get rid of libraries as we really know them. It kind of makes me sad.

But, I do think anyone who decides to get a Kindle will love it. Just buy a regular book every once in a while!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books