Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2009, 09:52 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,751,369 times

Advertisements

Currently rereading (for the umpteenth time!) Stephen King's Dark Tower series. First time I read the last volume, I absolutely hated the ending! But the more I read the series, the more I come to see that it's really the only possible ending.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 10:33 AM

2,544 posts, read 4,281,755 times
Well, I just finished Anna Karenina. It was a good read. I think it may have been misnamed, as Kostya Levin seemed to me to be more the story. At least he was the more sympathetic character. The story was a bit slow in the middle, but came together at the end. I recommend it.

I just started Changing Places, by David Lodge. A mid-seventies era pulp comedy. Probably just brain-candy.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:51 AM

1,458 posts, read 4,131,378 times
I'm reading some non-fiction this time, Bury Me Standing. It is about Gypsies, so far very interesting and well written.

Looooove Anna Karenina, can't say it enough!

Old 05-07-2009, 02:35 PM

SPOILER ALERT! Anna K.

What did you take from Anna's death? The lessons we learn from Levin are fairly clear, but I was unsure what to do with this about Anna. Was it a simple societal lecture about ostracism? Surely there must be more to it than that.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:43 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,131,378 times
I believe Tolstoy had a dislike for women. My copy had a long intro about him, and about his writing of Anna...said he origonally wrote her as an unlikeable charachter, and not beautiful I think? For some reason he changed his mind and wanted her to appeal more to the readers, but HE did not like her. Anna HAD to die, didn't she? In her society there wasn't any redemption available for what she did. Just like Madame Bovary HAD to die! I think that it boiled down to Anna living only for herself lead her to ruin. Levan was concerned about a greater good, and became more spiritual as the story went on and was rewarded with contentment.

BTW, my favorite part of the book is Levan going to harvest with the peasants!

Old 05-07-2009, 09:49 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,448,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolagranola View Post

Looooove Anna Karenina, can't say it enough!
I should try that again....I tried several times (the last being many many years ago) but never got too far.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:57 PM

2,002 posts, read 4,583,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBrakeforTailgaters View Post
I recently purchased several Chicken Soup for the Soul books. I plan to read those as I've gained back some time and my schedule is starting to ease up for the next month.
My husband bought it for my birthday. I can't avoid crying with certain stories

--
I just finished "The Cobra Event" by Richard Preston. It has a couple of boring chapters but over all it's a good non-fiction novel.

Hopefully I'll be able to read "World without End" - Ken Follett. Love him!

Old 05-07-2009, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolagranola View Post
I believe Tolstoy had a dislike for women. My copy had a long intro about him, and about his writing of Anna...said he origonally wrote her as an unlikeable charachter, and not beautiful I think? For some reason he changed his mind and wanted her to appeal more to the readers, but HE did not like her. Anna HAD to die, didn't she? In her society there wasn't any redemption available for what she did. Just like Madame Bovary HAD to die! I think that it boiled down to Anna living only for herself lead her to ruin. Levan was concerned about a greater good, and became more spiritual as the story went on and was rewarded with contentment.

BTW, my favorite part of the book is Levan going to harvest with the peasants!
You make a good point. I guess I am taking it as a bit of a morality play.

My favorite part was Tolstoy's very apt description of the euphoria and worry Levin goes through during the birth of his child. Reminded me of my first...

Old 05-08-2009, 08:53 AM

2,260 posts, read 5,615,326 times
I just finished Atonement by Ian McEwan. This was a book club book and I loved it (I thought I had read it before but obviously I had not!).

I also just finished Under Their Thumb by Bill German - great book about life with the Rolling Stones.

I just started Sag Harbor by Colson Whitehead.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:54 AM

2,538 posts, read 3,875,670 times
Giovanni's Room, James Baldwin

Very good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books