Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2014, 09:23 AM

734 posts, read 1,081,681 times

Advertisements

I am reading Blood and Justice by Rayven T. Hill. It's really good.

I am waiting for Carmen DeSousa to release another book in her Jordan/Jaynee southern romance/mystery series. I just finished reading the second book and I can't wait for the third!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2014, 09:33 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,486,905 times
I had planned on reading a true crime story Blood Games by Jerry Bledsoe, but I just finished the Joe McGinniss book on the same crime and I'm having a hard time reading it knowing what happens. I thought it would be interesting to read from two different viewpoints, first the victim and the perp (mother and son), the second from the viewpoint of the police and prosecution. It's not interesting at all. LOL

So now I don't have anything to read. I've been putting off going to the library until my DVD hold was in, but whomever has it is overdue.

Old 12-19-2014, 09:34 AM

13,400 posts, read 28,719,321 times
Just finished Tortilla Curtain by TC Boyle
I did enjoy the book about a Mexican couple who crossed illegally into So California and the couple who lived in the development near where this Mexican couple set up camp in the woods.

The ending was one of the most disappointing endings in a book ever.

Old 12-19-2014, 09:58 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
I had planned on reading a true crime story Blood Games by Jerry Bledsoe, but I just finished the Joe McGinniss book on the same crime and I'm having a hard time reading it knowing what happens. I thought it would be interesting to read from two different viewpoints, first the victim and the perp (mother and son), the second from the viewpoint of the police and prosecution. It's not interesting at all. LOL

So now I don't have anything to read. I've been putting off going to the library until my DVD hold was in, but whomever has it is overdue.
If you like true crime stories, you might take a look at Michael Morton's new book: Getting Life: An Innocent Man's 25-Year Journey from Prison to Peace by Michael Morton | 9781476756820 | Hardcover | Barnes & Noble

He was wrongly convicted of murder and served 25 years. I don't know if his book is any good, but his story is fascinating as well as very troubling. I read about him in Texas Monthly (magazine) and you can probably find the article in the archives.

Old 12-19-2014, 12:24 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Yes, I know -- I KNOW!!! -- that I have a long list of books to be read. I KNOW!!! But I was in the mood for something light, an easy read, but still smart and clever. I happened across this Young Adult book and a number of the reviews say that the characters are whip-sharp and funny like in John Green books. So I'm gonna give it a shot. It's The Beginning of Everything by Robyn Schneider.

http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-Ever...=1419016822665

Old 12-19-2014, 04:17 PM

318 posts, read 609,286 times
Just finished Doctor Sleep (AKA The Shining 2 ) by Stephen King. Great read.

Old 12-19-2014, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Yes, I know -- I KNOW!!! -- that I have a long list of books to be read. I KNOW!!! But I was in the mood for something light, an easy read, but still smart and clever. I happened across this Young Adult book and a number of the reviews say that the characters are whip-sharp and funny like in John Green books. So I'm gonna give it a shot. It's The Beginning of Everything by Robyn Schneider.

Amazon.com: The Beginning of Everything eBook: Robyn Schneider: Books
Forget it. Just 10% in and the scenario is just too unbelievable for me. The main character has a car accident right before summer starts and, upon return for senior year, he can't continue on as captain of the tennis team. He's no longer the "star" of the school. He is -- or feels -- completely ostracized from his friends. I'm not buying the fact that everyone abandoned him, or that he should feel abandoned.

I'm giving up on this one.

Moving on...

I'm going to start on City of Thieves.

Last edited by DawnMTL; 12-19-2014 at 05:42 PM..

Old 12-19-2014, 06:39 PM

Pinetreelover!!!! I started reading City of Thieves! The intro -- when the author is talking in first person, with his grandparents -- hooked me completely. I *love* his grandparents like crazy! I just finished the first chapter -- still happily hooked. I'm going to adore this book. Thank you so much for reminding me that I had it and that it somehow had gotten removed from my "to read" list.

Old 12-19-2014, 09:00 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Pinetreelover!!!! I started reading City of Thieves! The intro -- when the author is talking in first person, with his grandparents -- hooked me completely. I *love* his grandparents like crazy! I just finished the first chapter -- still happily hooked. I'm going to adore this book. Thank you so much for reminding me that I had it and that it somehow had gotten removed from my "to read" list.
Dawn - I'm so happy! I hope you like it just as much as my Dad, my son and I did! It is one of those books that is stuck in my heart!

Old 12-19-2014, 09:01 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Just finished Tortilla Curtain by TC Boyle
I did enjoy the book about a Mexican couple who crossed illegally into So California and the couple who lived in the development near where this Mexican couple set up camp in the woods.

The ending was one of the most disappointing endings in a book ever.
Tortilla Curtain was one of those books that really impacted me. I had a knot in my stomach with every turn of the page.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books