Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2015, 07:53 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,598,575 times

Advertisements

Just finished Dark Places by Gillian Flynn, the author who wrote Gone Girl. Really very well written! But can't say I "enjoyed" it - I just don't like thrillers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 01:55 AM

2,416 posts, read 2,021,932 times
'Wilde in America' by David M. Friedman. For anyone interested in Oscar Wilde, the cult of personality (Wilde was the self-publicist par excellence), late 19th century literature or America of the period, recommended.

Old 03-26-2015, 07:06 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,348,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I finished The Giver and was put off by the ending. I'm not likely to read any of the other books in the series.
This makes me sad as I love the series. I won't say oh you have to read it, you'll love the whole series or anything like that. For me, I'm glad I read the whole series and I'll definitely read it again, but we all know we all don't have the same tastes so no sense trying to push into reading more.

I got You by Caroline Kepnes based on this forum, and I also borrowed The Big Library Read book for this year Shakespeare Saved My Life. Going on vacation so I want a variety (not that I don't have a variety already on my Kindle), so I'm also going to bring Guernsey with for a second read since the author has that new book coming out this year.

Old 03-26-2015, 08:39 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,843,617 times
WoooHoooo,another winning recommendation[#3] from younglisa7!

Yesterday I read~Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind by Ann B. Ross Funny,and had great twists and turns,plus such a true picture of some of the worst elements that can be found in the Church and some who profess to be Christians, including pastors!

Only missed being a 5-star read,because I didn't feel that that Miss Julia's characteristics were consistent at all,the part where she was accused of being a Nymphomanic was beyond stupid/ridiculous,and lastly....I felt she was too hard-hearted towards the little boy at the beginning.Otherwise-a great read that grabbed me early on.Loved her cook/friend Lillian,her attorneys and the deputy sheriff.

Would have been more aptly titled 'Miss Julia's Self- Discovery'!

Last edited by i_love_autumn; 03-26-2015 at 10:01 AM..

Old 03-26-2015, 09:37 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,907,213 times
My only apprehension about the new book by the author/s of "The Guernsey Potato Peel..." is that one of the authors died soon after (or was it before?) publication of their fabulous book.

Old 03-26-2015, 10:44 AM

20,364 posts, read 14,640,743 times
There's this book...I'd heard of it so very many times, but never got around to reading it or seriously even looking into it, never saw the film (films?) either. See I'm more into fantasy than sci fi, in books, and I assumed it was probably so sci fi it just wouldn't appeal to me very much.

Well I finally got nudged hard enough by a dear friend to go ahead and read it and OHMYFREAKINGGOD! I'm having a serious case of where has this book been all my life? Right there I guess, I just hadn't bothered to look. It's one of the better of the many books I've read. I'm thrilled!

It's the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series (though I've got them all in one volume.)

Old 03-26-2015, 11:41 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,316,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
This makes me sad as I love the series. I won't say oh you have to read it, you'll love the whole series or anything like that. For me, I'm glad I read the whole series and I'll definitely read it again, but we all know we all don't have the same tastes so no sense trying to push into reading more.

I got You by Caroline Kepnes based on this forum, and I also borrowed The Big Library Read book for this year Shakespeare Saved My Life. Going on vacation so I want a variety (not that I don't have a variety already on my Kindle), so I'm also going to bring Guernsey with for a second read since the author has that new book coming out this year.
I looked up the book online and from what I read, the series sounded like it wasn't a continuation of the original story, but that it based on the same society and the stories were loosely connected or something like that. If I had thought that the other books would shed some light on the first book, then I might be more tempted to read them. It wasn't that I hated The Giver. But the ending seemed to come very quickly for me and it wasn't a happy one. The more I think about it, the more surprised I am by that ending.

On the other hand, maybe I had read enough fiction in a row and it is just me. Is there something you can share about the way the series goes without spoiling it? Maybe you can tempt me back into reading another.

I still have quite a ways to go with my current book though and it's not because I'm not finding it interesting. I am being distracted since my own family stories intersect with with the family story I am reading (A Mennonite Family in Tsarist Russia), and I spent half the night (until 5 am!) on the internet googling names. I appear to have tracked down my unusual name to 1560 based on others with my name who did the research. Amazing the things you can find out. And that my family appears to have been one of the few branches that immigrated to Canada versus the US. Annnnd...you know it's time to go to bed when you subscribe to one of those sites that allows you to access old newspaper archives online.

But I digress Enjoy your holiday!

Old 03-26-2015, 12:51 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,348,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post

Is there something you can share about the way the series goes without spoiling it? Maybe you can tempt me back into reading another.

I still have quite a ways to go with my current book though and it's not because I'm not finding it interesting. I am being distracted since my own family stories intersect with with the family story I am reading (A Mennonite Family in Tsarist Russia), and I spent half the night (until 5 am!) on the internet googling names. I appear to have tracked down my unusual name to 1560 based on others with my name who did the research. Amazing the things you can find out. And that my family appears to have been one of the few branches that immigrated to Canada versus the US. Annnnd...you know it's time to go to bed when you subscribe to one of those sites that allows you to access old newspaper archives online.

But I digress Enjoy your holiday!
Hope my message helps you decide if you want to give it a shot or not.

I am very interested in the book you're reading now with your connection!

Thank you!!

Old 03-26-2015, 06:05 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,316,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
Hope my message helps you decide if you want to give it a shot or not.

I am very interested in the book you're reading now with your connection!

Thank you!!
Thank you, it does. And since they are available through Kindle Unlimited, the next one might be good book to read in between the one I'm currently reading, since I don't find it a distraction to read this type of non fiction with fiction.

Old 03-27-2015, 02:49 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,315,804 times
I finished reading I Am Forbidden by Anouk Markovits.

What an excellent read. It's about the Satmar (Hasidic) Jewish sect. Jewish history is something that I am extremely interested in. I started reading about it as a preteen. This is a novel, an historical novel. So a few of the minor characters actually existed. The story itself begins in Satu Mare, Transylvania in 1905 when the sect came into being and ends in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, NY which is the world headquarters for the Satmars. I've been to Williamsburg. I got lost while attempting to find a particular yarn shop near my grandparents' house in Brooklyn.

The best thing I like about the book is the storyline.
The second thing I like about the book is the exceptional character development by the author. I ended up really caring about so many of the people in the book.
The third thing I like about the book is that it has been flawlessly edited.

Oh, just one more thing. The author uses my favorite Yiddish word "bashert" quite often. It's a great word and concept.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books