Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2016, 08:22 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
To Dawn and other fellow lovers of Crossing to Safety - I recently saw that this book has been picked up for a movie deal. No director or cast mentioned.

I know, I know - this could go so horribly wrong...
I heard about this! A friend of mine who's in "the biz" mentioned it on Facebook, but I got distracted (by work! ) and never went back to click on the link. I will likely not see the movie -- nothing good (or, rather, nothing better) can come of it. I do hope that it's good, though. The book was exquisite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 10:18 AM

496 posts, read 395,417 times
I decided to finish Such Good Girls before reading The Children's Blizzard. It's about three girls during WWII. I don't know why I gravitate towards those stories but I do. Even though terribly uncomfortable reading about how horribly human beings can treat other human beings it is a well told story though it took me some time to get into it.

I did search our library on-line. There are two copies of The Children's Blizzard available but since I am housebound by a blizzard of my own I purchased it from Amazon and will start reading it as soon as finish Such Good Girls.

Old 01-25-2016, 10:40 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly-Kay View Post
I decided to finish Such Good Girls before reading The Children's Blizzard. It's about three girls during WWII. I don't know why I gravitate towards those stories but I do. Even though terribly uncomfortable reading about how horribly human beings can treat other human beings it is a well told story though it took me some time to get into it.

I did search our library on-line. There are two copies of The Children's Blizzard available but since I am housebound by a blizzard of my own I purchased it from Amazon and will start reading it as soon as finish Such Good Girls.
I wonder if Amazon saw an increase in downloads because of the blizzard.

Glad you are surviving it!

Old 01-25-2016, 11:00 AM

75 posts, read 43,801 times
The Bone Garden by Tess Gerritsen

Old 01-25-2016, 11:01 AM

4,794 posts, read 2,798,355 times
Default Traffic analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I wonder if Amazon saw an increase in downloads because of the blizzard.

Glad you are surviving it!
Probably not. There were a lot of power outages & likely landline outages caused by the storms. With enough dense cloud formation, swirling winds, snow flying, wireless & radio propagation are also affected. & although the cold would be good for the equipment (up to a point), without power - to the cellphone towers, infrastructure, routing switches, etc. - you wind up with so many dead links that even packets would be difficult to reassemble - especially if the surviving nodes were flooded with traffic all @ once.

If Amazon can plot orders & downloads against a map of the affected areas over time during the storm, that would be interesting. It would tell Amazon how much excess capacity they might need for surges in orders, a good statistic to have, if you're in charge of Customer Satisfaction.

Old 01-25-2016, 04:48 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
I finished My Name is Lucy Barton by Elizabeth Strout and I don't know how I feel about it. No, that's not true. I *do* know how I feel about it: I didn't like it. I'm not even sure that I fully understood it. The style of writing was pure stream of consciousness, which is a style that I dislike tremendously. If it hadn't been written by Elizabeth Strout, I wouldn't have bothered to finish it. I'm disappointed. I've liked all her books, but this one... no. I find it hard to believe that it was written by the same person who gave us Olive Kitteridge.

Old 01-25-2016, 04:52 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,810,279 times
I just finished Abandon by Blake Crouch. It kept me up until 3:30AM finishing this book. Sleepy Maggie...

Old 01-25-2016, 06:13 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Okay, so my day of not reading didn't last long. At lunch I realized I did have a library book here, but my husband was reading it -- on the last pages. So, while he wasn't reading it, I started "The Goldfinch." I know a number of you have read it, but don't recall how it was received. DH seemed to think I will like it.

Also, I've started listening to "Rules of Civility" by Amor Towles; read by Rebecca Lowman.

Old 01-25-2016, 07:11 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,810,279 times
Dead Wake was very good. I found myself getting very tense as it got closer to the time of impact.

Old 01-25-2016, 09:42 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Okay, so my day of not reading didn't last long. At lunch I realized I did have a library book here, but my husband was reading it -- on the last pages. So, while he wasn't reading it, I started "The Goldfinch." I know a number of you have read it, but don't recall how it was received. DH seemed to think I will like it.

Also, I've started listening to "Rules of Civility" by Amor Towles; read by Rebecca Lowman.

I gave up on the Goldfinch a week or so ago after the story moved to Las Vegas. I enjoyed the first part which took place in NYC. After it moved to Las Vegas, I was bored and found it repetitious. I very much liked Tarrt's two previous books.

I loved Rules of Civility. I just downloaded the sequel, Eve in Hollywood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books