Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2016, 12:31 PM

443 posts, read 437,458 times

Advertisements

I took out "The Cuckoo's Calling" from the library and just realized that it was written by J. K. Rowling (under the name Robert Galbraith). Nice surprise, I hope it's good. All I've read by her were the Harry Potter novels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2016, 07:20 AM

496 posts, read 395,417 times
I finished Orphan X last night and gave it three stars though it probably only deserves a two. I am so glad to be finished with it. I started My Mrs Brown and it's ok so far. It is going to be a fast read but great literature it's not! It certainly is a nice change from Orphan X though.

Old 06-22-2016, 09:06 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,252,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a l'ouest View Post
I took out "The Cuckoo's Calling" from the library and just realized that it was written by J. K. Rowling (under the name Robert Galbraith). Nice surprise, I hope it's good. All I've read by her were the Harry Potter novels.
It is good! All three of the novels written under Robert Galbraith are good reads. I am reading the third one now, Career of Evil. Very well written all of them really are.

Old 06-23-2016, 02:07 AM

74,112 posts, read 1,835,618 times
James Patterson. Cross Justice

Old 06-23-2016, 06:39 AM

556 posts, read 788,229 times
Finished "Memory In Death" J.D. Robb and after having read over 20 of the In Death series I was not very interested in "Memory In Death". It looks like "Born In Death" is next and hopefully it'll be better. I need a new Lee Child to read.

Old 06-23-2016, 07:59 AM

443 posts, read 437,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
It is good! All three of the novels written under Robert Galbraith are good reads. I am reading the third one now, Career of Evil. Very well written all of them really are.
It's very good! I'm halfway through the book and it's only been two days. I'm so happy!

Old 06-24-2016, 07:00 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Yellow Crocus by Laila Ibrahim.

I liked this book but did not love it. It's set in the years leading up to the American Civil War. I've read all that before. Think "Gone With the Wind" and "Roots" without the long, sweeping history of the region and nary a word about King Cotton. Yippee! I really do not like to read about that period in American history. It tends to set me off on a rant. So, it speaks well of the book that I "liked" it. I believe this author will turn out more good books in the future. I certainly hope so.

I do recommend it for its ease of reading and rather good character development. We all know the story. There are two very strong female leads in the plot: White child of the plantation owner and Black wet nurse. I liked both of them very much. The plot is well explored and though we've seen it before it still draws the reader in.

I read the kindle version and found literally no grammatical or spelling errors. That in itself is way cool.

Old 06-25-2016, 06:32 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,844,099 times
The cover photo of a beautiful Australian Shepherd, and the book synopsis, made me go for ~Show dog : the charmed life and trying times of a near perfect purebred. Back in the 70's I was a fancier of purebred rough-coated Collies along with donkeys and mules, and since I didn't drive back then, I would make my poor hubby drive me around to dog, donkey and mule shows, sometimes I had to really finagle him to go, but we usually had a great time. I finally got my beautiful purebred collie, but never had any desire to show him.

Anyway, these days I am charmed by the Aussie, but I know they are way too smart and active for this 65 year old,and a Chihuahua is more my speed, haha.

So today I will be starting~Show Dog: The Charmed Life and Trying Times of a Near-Perfect Purebred by Josh Dean
https://www.amazon.com/Show-Dog-Char...ct_top?ie=UTF8

Then I have another Aussie book, that a cover with an even more beautiful 'blue-eyed' Aussie compelled me to purchase for my new Kindle Paperwhite~♥♥♥
Show Dog Sings the Blues (The Show Dog Diaries Book 2)by Devin O'Branagan
https://www.amazon.com/Show-Sings-Bl...show+dog+blues

Old 06-25-2016, 08:52 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,807,166 times
Stephen Budiansky's Battle of Wits: The Complete Story of Codebreaking in World War II.

Review, Battle of Wits by Stephen Budiansky

The book nicely toes the line between the extrems of dry scholarism and popular history fluff. Recommended.

Old 06-25-2016, 04:20 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
I just got out of the hospital , long story but am not reading much . my husband brought me my computer but they had no internet at all so that was a waist of time indeed .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books