Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2016, 01:37 PM

325 posts, read 153,566 times

Advertisements

I am reading The Great Anti American Novel. Very interesting book,not what I expected. A keeper for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2016, 01:57 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacSoc View Post
I am reading The Great Anti American Novel. Very interesting book,not what I expected. A keeper for sure.
That sounded interesting so I'm adding a link to it https://www.amazon.com/Great-Anti-Am.../dp/193764815X

Old 12-26-2016, 03:56 PM

4,724 posts, read 4,415,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
How the Post Office Created America, by Winifred Gallagher.

I was a logistics / transportation major as an undergrad, and worked in both the rail and trucking industries, so anything involving the movement of people and goods catches my attention. But this is not a work for the technically-oriented "rivet counter" types.

It is a well organized story of how the American postal system assumed a mission -- uniting a diverse and dispersed population via a common goal, and in doing so, both far eclipsed the efforts of its European contemporaries, and played an important role in the development of our infrastructure. A sometimes challenging read, but populated with a number of important personalities not that well-remembered today; and the ladies will likely enjoy a chapter devoted to the evolution of "the personal post".
This caught my eye- will see if I can reserve at the library. My to be read list is so expanding.
I am currently reading The Happiness Hypothesis but it's a bit like a text book but not really. Anyway so we you see me on here taking breaks. ( lots of them).

Old 12-26-2016, 04:18 PM

4,794 posts, read 2,798,355 times
Default Cross-cultural mystery

The Socorro blast : a Sasha Solomon mystery / Pari Noskin Taichert, c2008, U. NM Press.

Subjects
  • Women public relations personnel -- Fiction.
  • Murder -- Investigation -- Fiction.
  • Religious tolerance -- New Mexico -- Fiction.
  • Socorro (N.M.) -- Fiction.
  • New Mexico -- Ethnic relations. -- Fiction.
Length
  • 310 pages : map
Very interesting writing. The 40-ish single protagonist struggles with her work, her social life, & with her family in NM. Charming local color, & an interesting insider's view of Jewish family. Our library has 2 more of the series - excellent light reading, & I'm learning stuff as I go.

Old 12-26-2016, 09:39 PM

325 posts, read 153,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
That sounded interesting so I'm adding a link to it https://www.amazon.com/Great-Anti-Am.../dp/193764815X
Thank You.

Old 12-26-2016, 09:43 PM

51,691 posts, read 15,690,410 times
I am reading 13 Days in Benghazi.

Old 12-28-2016, 12:09 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Wow, I couldn't put this book down! It was a fascinating glimpse into the disenfranchisement of the American working class, and the challenges of upward mobility (both good and bad). It is also a fascinating character study and look into the hearts and minds and emotions of people who feel perpetually victimized by life as they know it.

The author really has street cred too - it's not like reading some psychobabble about "the poor" and what we should do to help them, and why or why not our tax dollars should go into this coffer, or that coffer yada yada yada.

It's first hand experience. Anyone - of ANY political stripe or bent, or any religion (or lack thereof) should read this book before going to the polls, or getting up on one's high horse about "what's wrong with America."

If you are middle class, working class, working poor, non working poor, or come from any of those backgrounds, you will probably recognize a lot of people in these pages.
Attached Thumbnails
What book are you reading?-hillbilly-elegy.jpg  

Old 12-28-2016, 12:51 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
I read this sweet, lovely, little book: The Red Notebook by Antoine Laurain.

I seem to like these short European stories. The Red Notebook -- although a COMPLETELY different type of story -- reminded me of The 6:41 to Paris by Jean-Philippe Blondel, which I also enjoyed VERY much. It must be something these Frenchmen are drinking. Well, I guess that's wine. So charming.

I enjoyed it so much that I also got The President's Hat (also by Antoine Laurain).

Just so that I don't OD on Monsieur Laurain, though, I'm going to read (or try to read) The Vegetarian by Han Kang first.

Old 12-28-2016, 06:04 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I read this sweet, lovely, little book: The Red Notebook by Antoine Laurain.

I seem to like these short European stories. The Red Notebook -- although a COMPLETELY different type of story -- reminded me of The 6:41 to Paris by Jean-Philippe Blondel, which I also enjoyed VERY much. It must be something these Frenchmen are drinking. Well, I guess that's wine. So charming.

I enjoyed it so much that I also got The President's Hat (also by Antoine Laurain).

Just so that I don't OD on Monsieur Laurain, though, I'm going to read (or try to read) The Vegetarian by Han Kang first.
Yeah. Well. I got to page 12 of The Vegetarian, called it done, and made myself a piece of chicken. Hello, Monsieur Laurian, we meet again. The President's Hat is sure to be a better fit.

(Yup. I had a glass of wine.)

Old 12-29-2016, 08:44 AM

443 posts, read 564,704 times
I am reading The Trespasser by my favorite author, Tana French. Review: The Trespasser by Tana French by Jenny Maloney
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books