Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2019, 04:48 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,254,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I suck. I got to 17% -- the start of the telling of her third death -- and thought, "No. I can't. There are more deaths to come than I have patience for."

From now on, I'll try not to post about my books until I *finish* them.
Dawn, i started not posting until I finish a book a few months ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2019, 05:27 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,722,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
Yes I agree, it was interesting to learn about Leningrad. I posted about it here when I read it a couple years back, but don't think anyone responded. Sometimes I wonder if people on here are mostly tired of reading about WWII., but I learn so much and each new book offers a new perspective. The last five years there have been several books written concerning WWII.

I just finished When We Meet Again, Kristin Harmel. Some of the story discusses German young men kept POW here in the U.S. during WWII. As many as 400,000 men. That was news to me, never have I read about that.

Many of the men found the work and conditions better than fighting back in Germany. Sad thing is these men didn't have a choice, almost all were forced into it not just Nazi's. Anyway they got 3 meals a day, earned .80 cents per day, and several thousand moved back after the war. This book also included a love story and twist.
I think there will continue to be a lot of books about WWII for quite a while. People currently on earth still know people or knew people who either fought in WWII or lived through it on the homefront. And it was just enough like where we are now that people can imagine it -- there were airplanes, cars existed, even if not used much, there were radio addresses (not quite television yet). It's not like The Civil War or earlier wars where everything was totally different and it's harder to imagine. Plus, there was just so much unbelievable horror in WWII, in so many different places.

I had read about German POWs in the U.S., who were treated quite well -- they were treated better than U.S. black soldiers who were actually fighting for the country. I think I first read about them in Stephen Ambrose's books, but I can't recall for certain.

Old 05-21-2019, 06:42 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,025,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
Dawn, i started not posting until I finish a book a few months ago.
I'm going to do the same. Which means that I might never post here again.

Old 05-21-2019, 08:11 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,236,618 times
I'm reading Captain Blood as well as Real Caribbean Pirates by Dan Asfar
I just love love pirates!!

Old 05-22-2019, 04:05 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,141,481 times
The Winds of War (The Henry Family #1), Herman Wouk (1971).

Old 05-22-2019, 07:24 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,849,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
Yes I agree, it was interesting to learn about Leningrad. I posted about it here when I read it a couple years back, but don't think anyone responded. Sometimes I wonder if people on here are mostly tired of reading about WWII., but I learn so much and each new book offers a new perspective. The last five years there have been several books written concerning WWII.

I just finished When We Meet Again, Kristin Harmel. Some of the story discusses German young men kept POW here in the U.S. during WWII. As many as 400,000 men. That was news to me, never have I read about that.

Many of the men found the work and conditions better than fighting back in Germany. Sad thing is these men didn't have a choice, almost all were forced into it not just Nazi's. Anyway they got 3 meals a day, earned .80 cents per day, and several thousand moved back after the war. This book also included a love story and twist.

Oh there are still some of us interested in WWII....been studying for years, reading every book I can find. Mostly recently Stephen Ambrose book D-Day. The Leningrad story is fascinating.

I originally got interested as my dad was a paratrooper in WWII, who was wounded in the South Pacific.

Reminds me to say the 75th anniversary of D-Day is June 6, when 175,000 Allied forces courageously converged on Normandy beaches to fight through the Nazis, the largest seaborne invasion in history with over 5000 ships and crafts. Over 2000 Allied lives were lost on that one day on Omaha beach alone.

They were there to risk/give their lives so that Hitler could not take away the freedom in our world.
They succeeded.

Old 05-22-2019, 09:00 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I'm going to do the same. Which means that I might never post here again.
My posting will be greatly reduced also....
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-22-2019, 09:05 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Oh there are still some of us interested in WWII....been studying for years, reading every book I can find. Mostly recently Stephen Ambrose book D-Day. The Leningrad story is fascinating.

I originally got interested as my dad was a paratrooper in WWII, who was wounded in the South Pacific.

Reminds me to say the 75th anniversary of D-Day is June 6, when 175,000 Allied forces courageously converged on Normandy beaches to fight through the Nazis, the largest seaborne invasion in history with over 5000 ships and crafts. Over 2000 Allied lives were lost on that one day on Omaha beach alone.

They were there to risk/give their lives so that Hitler could not take away the freedom in our world.
They succeeded.

I have a book published by the GPO titled The Army Air Forces in WW II, it's a daily chronicle of USAAC operations around the world from 12/07/1941 until the end of the war. It dazzles me, it's difficult to grasp the scope of that war and the logistics involved in sending so many men and so much equipment to so many different places around the world along with the necessary food, repair parts, fuel, etc. to operate. I have no doubt similar chronicles of ground and sea operations would be equally dazzling. My Dad was aircrew on 55 combat missions in N Africa and the Mediterranean so the air war has always been of interest to me.

Old 05-22-2019, 09:24 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,849,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I have a book published by the GPO titled The Army Air Forces in WW II, it's a daily chronicle of USAAC operations around the world from 12/07/1941 until the end of the war. It dazzles me, it's difficult to grasp the scope of that war and the logistics involved in sending so many men and so much equipment to so many different places around the world along with the necessary food, repair parts, fuel, etc. to operate. I have no doubt similar chronicles of ground and sea operations would be equally dazzling. My Dad was aircrew on 55 combat missions in N Africa and the Mediterranean so the air war has always been of interest to me.

The GPO??? What is that?

Amazing service by your dad...I agree the air components were so intricate and involved and dangerous.

There were over 800 airplanes of Allied Troops on D Day!

Another resource detailing air and naval battles are books regarding the Battle of Midway.

Old 05-22-2019, 09:39 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
The GPO??? What is that?

GPO=Government Printing Office

Quote:
Amazing service by your dad...I agree the air components were so intricate and involved and dangerous.

There were over 800 airplanes of Allied Troops on D Day!

Another resource detailing air and naval battles are books regarding the Battle of Midway.

Another book about WW II that might interest you is The Wartime Journals of Charles A. Lindbergh.

I read it almost 50 years ago but think my impressions are fairly clear; I thought at times it could be boring and tedious but it's also the journals of a man who was involved in everything from Ford building B-24 bombers in one of its plants to flying combat missions in the South Pacific as a civilian, something that could have led to his execution had he been captured. Might be worth checking with your local library and I did see some used copies on Amazon for as little as $5.98 with free shipping. Amazon FWIW can be a source of some real bargains on used books, many of which can appear almost new for very little $$$.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books