Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2022, 12:27 PM

11,049 posts, read 6,639,868 times

Advertisements

"The Closers" by Michael Connelly. Now that we've watched "Bosch" and the "Lincoln Lawyer" series, I'm reading all his books.

I kind of object to this premise though----that there could actually BE a department for unsolved cases way back in the past. With police departments being cut to the bone, where would the funding come from for old, forgotten cases?

Anybody know? Guessing it's a fictional premise. Still, a riveting read, like all his books.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2022, 05:42 PM

26,721 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
"The Closers" by Michael Connelly. Now that we've watched "Bosch" and the "Lincoln Lawyer" series, I'm reading all his books.

I kind of object to this premise though----that there could actually BE a department for unsolved cases way back in the past. With police departments being cut to the bone, where would the funding come from for old, forgotten cases?

Anybody know? Guessing it's a fictional premise. Still, a riveting read, like all his books.
Many major cities have cold case units within their police departments. The LAPD continues to have one, although back when Connelly was a crime reporter for the LA. Times, those departments were probably better funded than they are now.

COLD CASE HOMICIDE UNIT (CCHU):
https://www.lapdonline.org/office-of...cide-division/

Michael Connelly talks about ‘The Night Fire,’ two new books and living with the same character for 27 years:
https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...chael-connelly

Old 05-24-2022, 04:41 AM

23,172 posts, read 26,189,754 times
"The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared.

Not my usual type but a fun read. Events are a bit over the top when it comes to believability but the author writes them well enough so you can just accept them.

Old 05-25-2022, 05:56 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,417,821 times
I finished The Orphan Master's Son and it did get better, but overall I was pretty confused. It was told at varying times by different people and was just overall a lot to follow. Much of the story was very interesting ,based in North Korea . It won Pulitzer Prize for 2013 and is yet another case of me and the Pulitzer committee seeing things quite differently.

It gets very good ratings on goodreads, and I think maybe I wasn't focused enough while reading it.
I rate it 3 to 3.5 stars our of 5.

I hope to read something more pleasant and uplifting - going to try the first book of the Corfu Trilogy.

Old 05-27-2022, 07:18 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
"The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared.

Not my usual type but a fun read. Events are a bit over the top when it comes to believability but the author writes them well enough so you can just accept them.
I loved that book. Loved that old man who just took off!

Old 05-27-2022, 07:19 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,953,728 times
One More Thing by BJ Novak. A collection of short stories. Really creative and clever.

Old 05-27-2022, 03:42 PM

5,020 posts, read 7,223,411 times
Just finished Ian Toll's Pacific War Trilogy. I'm now reading War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells. It's an oldie but still pretty spooky.

Old 05-28-2022, 02:35 PM

30,515 posts, read 16,213,477 times
finished Ripple, A Long Strange Search for a Killer by Jim Cosgrove. Pretty good.

starting Sandford's Neon Prey. I'm starting to like Davenport again.

Old 05-29-2022, 07:10 AM

23,172 posts, read 26,189,754 times
It's always appreciated when you run across a book that doesn't follow some well known and overused formula. Twice that much when the writing is good.
Not a new book, just one I hadn't run across, "A Gathering of Old Men" earns that appreciation.
On to read more from this author, Ernest J. Gaines.

"The novel is set in Louisiana in the 1970's, and it involves a white man being shot. A group of "old men" all claim they shot the white man so that no one man can be proven guilty. The incident is an opportunity for the old men to finally stand up against the white establishment that has oppressed them for their entire lives"

Old 05-31-2022, 06:10 AM

829 posts, read 411,855 times
Finished Jack by Marilynne Robinson https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/50403478-jack

This was the 4th book in the Gilead series. This was a 4 star read for me.

"She said, I actually am full of rage. Wrath. I think I feel a little like God must feel the second before He just gives up and rains brimstone. I've heard people blame Him for that! I don't blame Him. I can imagine the satisfaction. I have to wonder when that last exasperation will come and I burst into flames. Nothing in particular, everything in general, plus one more thing, maybe one very tiny thing. Whoosh."

"It is impossible to walk naturally when you really want to run, but they walked quickly and quietly to the corner where the building stood, huddled in the dark of the entryway while he put the right key into the lock the right way, hurried up the stairs to the door of the studio, closed that door and locked it. And then they embraced, and what an embrace it was, as if they two had survived flood and fire, as if they had solved loneliness. Such an embrace."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books