Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2011, 10:25 AM

2,179 posts, read 3,403,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Just reread all the Potter books over the weekend and now am reading Condoleezza Rice's book, Extraordinary Ordinary People.
You reread ALL the Potter books over the weekend?! Not doubting it but that is amazing. I struggle to get through one book in a weekend and those are long books..

I'm almost done reading Mystic River by Dennis Lehane. I usually give a book 50 or 60 pages and if it doesn't grab me I put it down, maybe try it again sometime. I do like this book. For me, first and foremost is voice; if I don't enjoy the voice, regardless of story, characters, etc, it's just too much work..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 10:43 AM

3,943 posts, read 6,372,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Humble View Post
You reread ALL the Potter books over the weekend?! Not doubting it but that is amazing. I struggle to get through one book in a weekend and those are long books..

I'm almost done reading Mystic River by Dennis Lehane. I usually give a book 50 or 60 pages and if it doesn't grab me I put it down, maybe try it again sometime. I do like this book. For me, first and foremost is voice; if I don't enjoy the voice, regardless of story, characters, etc, it's just too much work..
I love Mystic River.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:46 AM

2,179 posts, read 3,403,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
I love Mystic River.
Yeah, I really liked the movie. Such great performances.. I like Lehane's tough, real style. I like the way he thinks about the why of things, not just the what. I just picked up Moonlight Mile yesterday.. Have you read it?

Old 01-06-2011, 07:04 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,078,334 times
im now onto Look again by lisa scottoline and it is very good and im really into books with twists and turns and really like this one . So anyone who likes books with twists and turns then you should read this one .

Old 01-06-2011, 07:17 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,691,178 times
I re-read the Narnia series over the last few days. We saw The Voyage of the Dawn Treader over Christmas break, and I wanted to read the books again.

I'm always impressed by people who can read many books at once. I can't do that. I have a hard time putting books down once I start, so I go from one to the next. Sometimes I lose interest and don't finish, though, or I don't have a lot of time to read and I lose momentum. I started to read A Man of Salt and Trees, the biography of Joy Morton, who founded Morton Salt and the beautiful Morton Arboretum near me (one of my favorite places). It was interesting and I want to get back to it. When I finish, I have Born on a Blue Day, which my dad lent to me. It's the autobiography of Daniel Tammet, an autistic savant and an amazing man.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:35 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I re-read the Narnia series over the last few days. We saw The Voyage of the Dawn Treader over Christmas break, and I wanted to read the books again.

I'm always impressed by people who can read many books at once. I can't do that. I have a hard time putting books down once I start, so I go from one to the next. Sometimes I lose interest and don't finish, though, or I don't have a lot of time to read and I lose momentum. I started to read A Man of Salt and Trees, the biography of Joy Morton, who founded Morton Salt and the beautiful Morton Arboretum near me (one of my favorite places). It was interesting and I want to get back to it. When I finish, I have Born on a Blue Day, which my dad lent to me. It's the autobiography of Daniel Tammet, an autistic savant and an amazing man.
Me too and me neither. I've tried it once or twice, and I start to mix up the characters. I'm all, "What is HE doing in this story? Oh. He's from the other book. This isn't working AT ALL."

I'm almost finished Amy and Isabelle by Elizabeth Strout.

After that, I'll have to decide whether to start on Up from Orchard Street or Come, Thou Tortoise or Left Neglected or Major Pettigrew's Last Stand or Annabel. Decisions, decisions...

Old 01-06-2011, 08:09 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,802,305 times
I'm able to read 2 books at once because the books are nothing alike. For instance, right now I'm reading Books on Fire: The Destruction of Libraries throughout History and Lewis' The Silver Chair (book 4 of the Narnia series). I have no trouble keeping the books straight. Now, I don't know how people read 2 fictional stories at the same time and keep it straight.

Old 01-06-2011, 02:31 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,703,557 times
I put Plain, Honest Men down (it was a little dry, but I'll try again later) and read Abide With Me by Elizabeth Strout. Her characterizations of people are very subtle, but very powerful.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:56 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,372,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Humble View Post
Yeah, I really liked the movie. Such great performances.. I like Lehane's tough, real style. I like the way he thinks about the why of things, not just the what. I just picked up Moonlight Mile yesterday.. Have you read it?
No, I haven't read Mlight Mile. I would want to read Gone Baby, Gone first, and I never read that. I'm not much on "whodunits". I've read way too many, and they started to all run together. Same story. Man and woman detective working on case, they dislike one another, but solve the case and end up in love. Not only do they solve the case, you know who did it before they do, usually. If you could recommend one that isn't like that, I would appreciate it, and would definitely read it.

I do really like Dennis Lehane though. I've read one of his detective/crime books, but I don't remember which one. I've also read Shutter Island and of course Mystic River.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:08 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,348,632 times
War & Peace. But I'm only 2% in. That's the problem with the Kindle, you have no idea how big the book is or what page your spot translates to!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books