Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2012, 03:04 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
I just picked up Sense of an Ending, but I'm not going to start yet because I'm fully invested in Catherine the Great and Age of Innocence.
Rin Tin Tin was one I had great hopes for because I liked Susan Orleans first book, The Orchid Thief. The first part was fabulous. We were told about Lee Duncan's background, how he acquired Rinty, his relationship and training of Rinty. Also, the parts about training and early moviemaking were very interesting. Subsequently, Orleans went on tangents that had nothing to with the story. When she started relating stories about every person who had come in contact with Rinty I stopped reading.

I have several books to read on the Downton Abbey and Upstairs Downstairs era.
I loooooooved Sense of an Ending. That's the reason that I got Arthur & George, actually!

I really missed the boat on Downton Abbey craze. I had no idea about it until this year and I can't catch up on two seasons -- I just don't have that sort of patience. Too bad, too, because I watched the first episode of the first season a couple of weeks ago, and enjoyed it. But I don't play catch-up well at all -- too much pressure. I did, though, put a book called Under Stairs on my "to read" list; it's written by one of the staff of that era.

Speaking of eras, since reading Paris Wife, I'm hooked on the 1920s. There are books about the Fitzgeralds, Hemingway, the Murphys, etc... coming in the mail and on hold at the library. Also a book about Wallis Simpson (OK, that's later than the 20s). I was born 40 years too late.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 03:45 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,315,804 times
I have no idea what this book is about but I can say that I would buy it just for the cover. I love the cover.

Old 02-03-2012, 03:47 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,252,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I have no idea what this book is about but I can say that I would buy it just for the cover. I love the cover.
I loved Major Pettigrew. Some of his comments are laugh out loud funny. A great book.

Old 02-03-2012, 03:50 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,252,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I loooooooved Sense of an Ending. That's the reason that I got Arthur & George, actually!

I really missed the boat on Downton Abbey craze. I had no idea about it until this year and I can't catch up on two seasons -- I just don't have that sort of patience. Too bad, too, because I watched the first episode of the first season a couple of weeks ago, and enjoyed it. But I don't play catch-up well at all -- too much pressure. I did, though, put a book called Under Stairs on my "to read" list; it's written by one of the staff of that era.

Speaking of eras, since reading Paris Wife, I'm hooked on the 1920s. There are books about the Fitzgeralds, Hemingway, the Murphys, etc... coming in the mail and on hold at the library. Also a book about Wallis Simpson (OK, that's later than the 20s). I was born 40 years too late.
Do you mean Below Stairs by Margaret Powell? I'm waiting for The World of Downton Abbey by Jessica Fellowes, the niece of the series creator, Julian.

Old 02-03-2012, 03:53 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,735,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
Welcome to the club Can't help making a recommendation - that is to try Absalom, Absalom next. It includes a lot of narration by Quentin, from The Sound and the Fury - but even besides that connection it's just a wonderful, layered story.
I looked for Absalom, Absalom at the book store yesterday but didn't see it, so I bought The Reivers. I'm currently reading a Steinbeck novel (which I'm also thoroughly enjoying) but I plan to read more Faulkner as soon as I'm done.

Old 02-03-2012, 03:54 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I bought the book because of the cover. I think I'm the only person on the planet who couldn't get into it and gave up early on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
Do you mean Below Stairs by Margaret Powell? I'm waiting for The World of Downton Abbey by Jessica Fellowes, the niece of the series creator, Julian.
Oh, yes, my mistake. Below Stairs, it is.

Old 02-04-2012, 07:48 PM

251 posts, read 950,715 times
I'm in the middle of David Baldacci's Zero Day. I'm enjoying it, but a little disappointed that his John Puller character seems to be a direct ripoff of Lee Child's Jack Reacher.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:16 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,131,164 times
Finally finished Fall of Giants, & I'm looking forward to the next. I was impressed that with such a vast cast, he was able to give them all their own voice & I was never confused with who's story I was reading.

I'm half through The Namesake, which is delightful.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:22 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,587,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I looked for Absalom, Absalom at the book store yesterday but didn't see it, so I bought The Reivers. I'm currently reading a Steinbeck novel (which I'm also thoroughly enjoying) but I plan to read more Faulkner as soon as I'm done.
Hmmm and I was just debating with myself whether or not to re-read Cannery Row - maybe this is a sign!

Old 02-04-2012, 09:32 PM

4,724 posts, read 4,414,855 times
Somewhat back to reading mode happy to report-- just finished Rules of Civility which I enjoyed. Not sure if I followed everything but it was a very good read.(very well written- you could swear you are reading from the 30's or Fizgerald.
Next in the pile is OMNIVORE's DILEMNA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books