Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2014, 09:10 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,205 times

Advertisements

I finished Ilya Tolstoy's "Reminisces." I was very, very sad to read it. Ilya was a talented writer and conveyed his memories of his father with love and dedication to an accurate portrayal. Still, it described a man tormented by his spiritual convictions that put his inner life at odds with his family and his community. I am sorry I read it. I will never look at his work the same, naive way I did before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 01:22 PM

"The Evolution of God," by Robert Wright is interesting, but a bit dry for endurance listening, so I am starting to listen to "Not in the Flesh," (Inspector Wexford #21) by Ruth Rendell, for breaks between.

On the Kindle: just starting "The Inn at Rose Harbor" (Rose Harbor #1) by Debbie Macomber

Old 01-10-2014, 04:52 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,073,706 times
I absoloutly loved the book : Miss Dreamsville and the collier county womens literary society : I loved this book and I wanted it to go forever ....I liked almost as much as "The Help " .

Old 01-10-2014, 06:48 PM

I have started "Ordinary Grace " by William Kent Krueger ...it is okay so far Im reading this on a recomendation of a fellow reader . I will come back and let you know if I like it .

Old 01-10-2014, 08:32 PM

Debbie Macomber is history for me. Not my kind of read. I've moved on to "The Walking People," by Mary Beth Keane.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:09 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,367,511 times
Am 100 pages into “Unaccompanied Women: Late-Life Adventures in Love, Sex, and Real Estate†by Jane Juska (2006). Her writing is by turns humorous and poignant.
I read the author's previous memoir, "A Round-Heeled Woman" (2000), and loved it-was thrilled when I saw this sequel of sorts in my library's catalog.
It's a woman of a certain age who seeks companionship as well as physical closeness with someone, and I applaud her courage in sharing that search with the reading public.
Quote:
“The time for picking oneself up and getting on with life gets shorter and shorter; maybe that’s the reason so many people in their later years avoid the risk of new relationships...â€

Old 01-11-2014, 01:08 PM

7,364 posts, read 5,478,782 times
I watched the movie The Green Mile by Stephen King so now I'm reading the book.

Old 01-12-2014, 05:53 PM

I simply could not finish Ordinary Grace at all it dragged and then got really boring and I put it down and will not be picking it back up ...No boo hiss not good at all . Onto the bully pulpit ...I m hoping that is a good one .

Old 01-12-2014, 10:47 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,316,797 times
I'm reading two books but as is usually the case when I read two books, one book ends up taking precedence over the other. Somewhere along the line I clicked on a link that in turn led me to a link about Elizabeth Jane Howard, second wife of Kingsley Amis, stepmother to Martin. She is an author in her own right although I had never read her. And I'm reading her biography, Slipstream.

I am a bit disappointed in her biography. She seems to have lived so much of her life without any kind of thought behind it. I don't find the writing engaging enough to make up for a lack of depth. Pretty much all anyone had to do to sleep with her is to ask. it gets boring. She doesn't have enough fingers or toes with which to count her lovers. I'll quote her own words about her bed-hopping: "I wasn't able, then, to recognize that such things need not happen if they are resisted in the first place; I thought that they simply struck one - like lightning - and that one had no choice."

It's because there's so little insight or thought that her affairs aren't all that interesting. She doesn't come across as all that interesting. Life is something that happens to her rather than her living it. It's kind of disturbing. I am about halfway through. Has anyone read any book by her? I find it hard to fathom how she could have written a book full of insights when she seems to have so little insight into herself.

And second I am reading Last Call by Tim Powers. I think it's a kind of horror story but better written than the average.

And I finished Burning Paradise by Robert Charles Wilson. It is also a kind of horror and should appeal to readers of Stephen King. The premise behind the story is that what if human history had been subtly guided by an outside force.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:18 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,749,743 times
The Gathering by Irish author Anne Enright... excellent!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books