Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2015, 09:08 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,207,614 times

Advertisements

the santaroga barrier by frank Herbert

its about a town that is an "alternative" society and they put this mind-altering substance in all of the locally produced food. pretty good read so far.

pretty good read, got about 40 pages left, and then I will start "dr sleep" by Stephen king. its the sequel to the shining basically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 09:41 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
Was that a happy snort? I'm not good at interpreting emoticons. Lol
no problems, tiger lily. I was trying to think up a snappy response to Dawn but I couldn't. So, she wins.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:47 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
I seem to have hit a wall. Ive started five books in a row that I quit just a few pages in. Now I'm on Peter Carey's "Bliss", and it' OK, but each time I read a few pages, my mind starts thinking of other things I'd rather be doing.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:52 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
no problems, tiger lily. I was trying to think up a snappy response to Dawn but I couldn't. So, she wins.
You win some, you lose some. Lol

Old 05-21-2015, 10:51 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
I finished The Martian by Andy Weir. I really enjoyed it. The author throws in just enough humor to keep the reader just plain stressed but not screamingly so. It's like like I was experiencing the Apollo 13 flight again when the world was on the edge of its seat hoping for the best. I like this author.

I'm now reading Love Anthony by Lisa Genova. It's not what I expected and is more of a "beach read." It's not quite as solid of the other Genova books I have read but it does hold my interest and actually it is oddly soothing.

Old 05-21-2015, 12:24 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
A few pages back someone mentioned that they could ask their library to acquire particular books. I poked around on my library's web page and found a way to do that as well. I requested A Little Life because so many posters have loved it and I received an email response today that they're going to get it. Thanks for letting me know this was a possibility.

Old 05-21-2015, 03:32 PM

43,631 posts, read 44,361,055 times
"Into the Blue: American Writing on Aviation and Spaceflight" by Joseph J. Corn

Old 05-21-2015, 05:27 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
DH and I took a road trip last week, and listened to Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child's "The Cabinet of Curiosities," third in their Agent Pendergast series. I LOVED the first (Relic), the second was "okay" and this one I liked but .... I think I will wait awhile before reading #4. They are mystery thrillers and Preston and Child do the action well, and the characters fairly well, but sometimes they drag out things that aren't necessary to the reader's enjoyment. This time it was lengthy descriptions of story components. Since we were listening and fast forwarding is a problem on my Zune, we just rode them out.

When we were not rolling, or sight-seeing, I found time to finish Harlan Coben's "Missing You." It was a slow starter, but after about the first third I didn't want to put it down. Without wanting to spoil it for someone, all I am going to say is it was like riding a roller coaster into a brick wall. I will never think the same of social media as I have before reading this book. I've already put him on the TRL.

Now, I am wading into "Full Dark House" by Christopher Fowler, the first in his Peculiar Crimes Unit series. It's quirky that it starts with the unexpected death of one of the protagonists, and then the remaining partner is reviewing cases they worked decades before. This particular story is set in London in 1940. There are essences of dry humor here and there, so I think I will stay with it.

Meanwhile, I've been listening to interviews with various spiritual teachers conducted by the founder of Sounds True (publisher) on what does it mean to be Awakened. Several of her interviewees have been pretty interesting, so I've downloaded their works. Dr. Judith Blackstone (Phd) stopped me in my tracks and so I am reading her "Being Here" Guide for the Spiritually Sensitive Person." Too soon to say, but when reading the intro to DH he wondered if she's been stalking me for the last 59 years.

That's it for me. Happy reading.

PS: Dawn, I've noticed that when I've bought things from Amazon lately they've given me thirty minutes to change or cancel an order placed. Is it different when buying ebooks? (I've only ever checked out from the library.)

Old 05-21-2015, 06:05 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
PS: Dawn, I've noticed that when I've bought things from Amazon lately they've given me thirty minutes to change or cancel an order placed. Is it different when buying ebooks? (I've only ever checked out from the library.)
I'm glad that you had a nice trip!

I don't think there's anything explicit mentioned on Amazon about how long you have to return an e-book that you've purchased, but I've returned a few. Some I've returned immediately but, just a week or so ago, I returned a book that I'd purchased two or three days earlier. They've always issued a refund. I think if I kept an e-book for a week or longer, they'd question me -- I was actually surprised that they didn't ask why I was returning the last book after a few days -- but I haven't encountered that.

Old 05-21-2015, 06:27 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times
Reading a series of detective novels by John Harvey--about an English detective Charlie Resnick, a little shabby and a lover cats, jazz, Polish beer and exotic sandwichs--who is obviously going to be passed over for promotion yet is very good at his job...
am on #7 now...
Have read other books in between the first 6 and have probably 5-6 to go
Nice to find a long series that you can look forward to reading...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books