Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2015, 09:23 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times

Advertisements

Morning!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I'm glad that you had a nice trip!
Yes, indeed, we did. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Reading a series of detective novels by John Harvey--about an English detective Charlie Resnick, a little shabby and a lover cats, jazz, Polish beer and exotic sandwichs--who is obviously going to be passed over for promotion yet is very good at his job...
am on #7 now...
Have read other books in between the first 6 and have probably 5-6 to go
Nice to find a long series that you can look forward to reading...
Sounds like my kind of guy! I looked up him on Goodreads (my personal "dating service") and it looks like Charlie is my cuppa tea. I put the first on my list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
Well I have a wonderful dilemma...I am at 80% of Cutters Grove,and I can't wait to see if I am right about 'who dun it',but the book is so good and I love the protagonist so much that I don't want this story to end! It is told in FPPOV,and his thoughts and things he says really crack me up,and the messes he gets in~OY!!!!
I don't have any desire for gruesome, so someone that can write without resorting to that is good for me!

Quote:
Wow! You're right.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200144510

That's a little surprising, actually. I guess it's legit if you just don't like a book and want to return it, but it feels scammy because you very well might have *finished* -- and enjoyed! -- the book within that time (and still return it).
I don't think I've ever finished a book in a week, unless it was in school and I was cramming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Steinbeck's Cannery Row
I love Steinbeck. I don't read him often enough. Maybe it's because he makes me think too much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 09:32 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,844,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry

I don't have any desire for gruesome, so someone that can write without resorting to that is good
for me!
Me neither,and I avoid most books that feature harm to a child,but of course there are many stories of child ghosts,so it definitely depends on how well the story is written,no graphic or prolonged details about how their death came about!

Just passing time here before I have to run an errand then it's back to finish Cutters Grove!

Old 05-22-2015, 10:12 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
I haven't read this book, but I'm thinking it might be a birthday present to myself. The Mad Boy, Lord Berners, My Grandmother and Me: http://www.amazon.com/Mad-Lord-Berne...dmother+and+me

It's $24.99 or something like that on the Canadian Amazon for the Kindle version. Every now and then I seem to like to read about inbred British aristocracy behaving badly. I don't know what it is. It has one of the best titles I have ever seen.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:19 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
Wow! You're right.

Amazon.com Help: Kindle E-Reader, Fire Tablet and Amazon Fire TV Return Policies

That's a little surprising, actually. I guess it's legit if you just don't like a book and want to return it, but it feels scammy because you very well might have *finished* -- and enjoyed! -- the book within that time (and still return it).
The thing is that they say something about they qualify those seven days in their returns statement - I can't remember the exact wording but it's not, in my opinion, that they are offering that you have a guaranteed refund. I think they look at your return and your purchase history and I think they can see just how far you read in the book.

It once happened to me that I bought automatically a new release by a science fiction writer and I didn't get to reading it right away because I was reading other books, and when I finally started reading it, I realised that I had already read it, and when I investigated further, I saw that the "new" release was an old book with a different cover. That trickery ticked me off so even though it was only a small amount of money, I wrote Amazon's customer service, requesting a return on that book, and it wasn't long at all before I got back an email from them stating that under the circumstances they would allow the return. But I'm positive that they looked at my considerable purchasing history. That was the first time I had returned a book. I just recently returned another one but within the seven days on the grounds of it being a truly stupid book.

Old 05-22-2015, 01:36 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,758,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Reading a series of detective novels by John Harvey--about an English detective Charlie Resnick, a little shabby and a lover cats, jazz, Polish beer and exotic sandwichs--who is obviously going to be passed over for promotion yet is very good at his job...
am on #7 now...
Have read other books in between the first 6 and have probably 5-6 to go
Nice to find a long series that you can look forward to reading...
I just bought the first in this series, thanks for posting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I haven't read this book, but I'm thinking it might be a birthday present to myself. The Mad Boy, Lord Berners, My Grandmother and Me: http://www.amazon.com/Mad-Lord-Berne...dmother+and+me

It's $24.99 or something like that on the Canadian Amazon for the Kindle version. Every now and then I seem to like to read about inbred British aristocracy behaving badly. I don't know what it is. It has one of the best titles I have ever seen.
Added it to my wishlist, thanks.

Old 05-22-2015, 02:05 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times
[quote=Rowan123;39722725]I just bought the first in this series,

If u are Amazon Prime like me some of these books are available with the Kindle Unlimitedaddon
One month's fee is what u pay for single book
So I am trying it for while
I buy so many Amazon books

Has anyone used website Open Library??
For free
Lot of books not availble in digital have been copied as PDFs
Read many Matthew Scudder books-- A Walk Among the Tombstones that was movie with Liam Neeson is one of lengthy series of private detective novels
Excellent writing esp if u love NYC

Old 05-23-2015, 03:16 PM

4,046 posts, read 2,130,139 times
Holly-Kay, We Are Not Ourselves is terrific.

I am about 400 pages into A Little Life. The book is draining me. I feel like I could pass a PhD dissertation about cutting---the graphic details are more than I wanted/needed to know. It's a well-written book, but not beautifully written---can't quite put my finger on the difference, but I feel like that's the case. When I finish it, I'm hoping that y'all who have read it will discuss it briefly with me---no one IRL has even heard of the book! I don't belong to a book club, but can't picture this being discussed....

Old 05-23-2015, 07:32 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,372,574 times
Just finished Outlander. A verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry long book that could have used some editing. A flabby middle with the first and last part of the book being pretty good, but there is a really unpleasant sexual torture scene, told in flashback near the end that I did not enjoy reading.
This has been made into a very good TV show on Starz and it is one of the few times I actually prefer the screen rendering to the original book.

Old 05-24-2015, 01:57 AM

10,855 posts, read 6,368,233 times
Rebecca Solnit's 2014 essay collection "Men Explain Things to Me",
which contains one of the inspirations for the term "mansplaining".

It was a mere 125 pages but they were full of interesting thoughts phrased artfully, I read it in one day.
Here's an excerpt that I thought was pretty right on:

Quote:
“Filling in the blanks replaces the truth that we don’t entirely know with the false sense that we do. We know less when we erroneously think we know than when we recognize that we don’t. Sometimes I think these pretenses at authoritative knowledge are failures of language: the language of bold assertion is simpler, less taxing, than the language of nuance and ambiguity and speculation.”
Am waiting on inter-library loan for Dr. Henry Marsh's "Do No Harm: Stories of Life, Death, and Brain Surgery" (2014), hoping they'll be able to find it for me.

Old 05-24-2015, 02:01 AM

4 posts, read 6,745 times
The Basics of Hacking and Penetration Testing by Patrick Engebretson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books