Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2015, 04:48 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,387,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly-Kay View Post
I find myself seeing a title on my Kindle and having no clue what it's even about after months of being buried among other downloads. I quite often go to Amazon and look the book up to see what intrigued me about it in the first place. Amazon, apparently knowing that I share net wit's other name, reminds me that I have already purchased the title.

I don't do audio books yet but I will as soon as I retire. I find my elliptical to be mind numbingly boring so I plan on audio books to keep my work out from being unadulterated torture. I will probably just download it to my iPad.
I have many books on my to read list and I have no idea how they got there, lol.

I like to read Large Print books on my treadmill. It works OK but I do go slower than normal. I tried some kind of audio book once while I was weedeating and mowing but I couldn't hear it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly-Kay View Post
I finished The Martian last night. I enjoyed it and would recommend it if you aren't put off by a lot of scientific jargon. IMO, Mr Weir has talent to be able to tell a story like this and keep the reader's attention.

It was 11:30 until I finished TM so I won't start We Are Not Ourselves until this evening and will follow that with The Boston Girl. Thanks Dawn and Phonelady!
I loved The Martian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
I use my tablet because I just haven't downloaded Overdrive to my phone yet. It is kind of bulky (although it is a small tablet) to carry when I'm walking, but it works so I'm okay with it.

I decided instead of continuing with my Amanda Cabot book (which I am enjoying but apparently am more intrigued with other books at the moment) to read One Summer by David Baldacci. This is one I own. Recently hubby won a GC for B&N and he gave it to me (woot woot), so yesterday we happened to go to the mall and I had it with and bought The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry (Rachel Joyce) and Six Years by Harlan Coben. It only cost me $2.55 to get both (hardcover) so even if I don't enjoy them it wasn't much of a loss financially.
Thank you. I am going on a road trip next week and I think I may try an audio book for the road.

Woo hoo….score on the books. Don't you just love a good deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
the santaroga barrier by frank Herbert

its about a town that is an "alternative" society and they put this mind-altering substance in all of the locally produced food. pretty good read so far.

pretty good read, got about 40 pages left, and then I will start "dr sleep" by Stephen king. its the sequel to the shining basically.
Sounds interesting….thanks for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I finished The Martian by Andy Weir. I really enjoyed it. The author throws in just enough humor to keep the reader just plain stressed but not screamingly so. It's like like I was experiencing the Apollo 13 flight again when the world was on the edge of its seat hoping for the best. I like this author.

I'm now reading Love Anthony by Lisa Genova. It's not what I expected and is more of a "beach read." It's not quite as solid of the other Genova books I have read but it does hold my interest and actually it is oddly soothing.
Me too…I really like The Martian.

Hmm…I picked up Love Anthony because it was a Lisa Genova book. I don't even know what it is about but I'll give it a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
A few pages back someone mentioned that they could ask their library to acquire particular books. I poked around on my library's web page and found a way to do that as well. I requested A Little Life because so many posters have loved it and I received an email response today that they're going to get it. Thanks for letting me know this was a possibility.
I think that was I_Love_Autumn. Yay….good for you. My library has that but it is so new that they are not putting holds on it…yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
DH and I took a road trip last week, and listened to Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child's "The Cabinet of Curiosities," third in their Agent Pendergast series. I LOVED the first (Relic), the second was "okay" and this one I liked but .... I think I will wait awhile before reading #4. They are mystery thrillers and Preston and Child do the action well, and the characters fairly well, but sometimes they drag out things that aren't necessary to the reader's enjoyment. This time it was lengthy descriptions of story components. Since we were listening and fast forwarding is a problem on my Zune, we just rode them out.

When we were not rolling, or sight-seeing, I found time to finish Harlan Coben's "Missing You." It was a slow starter, but after about the first third I didn't want to put it down. Without wanting to spoil it for someone, all I am going to say is it was like riding a roller coaster into a brick wall. I will never think the same of social media as I have before reading this book. I've already put him on the TRL.

Now, I am wading into "Full Dark House" by Christopher Fowler, the first in his Peculiar Crimes Unit series. It's quirky that it starts with the unexpected death of one of the protagonists, and then the remaining partner is reviewing cases they worked decades before. This particular story is set in London in 1940. There are essences of dry humor here and there, so I think I will stay with it.

Meanwhile, I've been listening to interviews with various spiritual teachers conducted by the founder of Sounds True (publisher) on what does it mean to be Awakened. Several of her interviewees have been pretty interesting, so I've downloaded their works. Dr. Judith Blackstone (Phd) stopped me in my tracks and so I am reading her "Being Here" Guide for the Spiritually Sensitive Person." Too soon to say, but when reading the intro to DH he wondered if she's been stalking me for the last 59 years.

That's it for me. Happy reading.

PS: Dawn, I've noticed that when I've bought things from Amazon lately they've given me thirty minutes to change or cancel an order placed. Is it different when buying ebooks? (I've only ever checked out from the library.)

Welcome back. Did you have a nice trip? Thanks for the new "adds"

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Reading a series of detective novels by John Harvey--about an English detective Charlie Resnick, a little shabby and a lover cats, jazz, Polish beer and exotic sandwichs--who is obviously going to be passed over for promotion yet is very good at his job...
am on #7 now...
Have read other books in between the first 6 and have probably 5-6 to go
Nice to find a long series that you can look forward to reading...
Lucky you. I am so bad and have so many series that I started and need to finish. A lot of them I have also read out of order. That's what happens when I read a book recommendation and I say…."ooh"

And on that note I finished Red Queen which I really liked but it is a first book It seems so many of the YA books are series.

I just started Dead Wake by Erik Larson. I like his writing and his attention to detail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 06:23 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,845,164 times
Quote:
originally posted by lookinformayberry
ps: Dawn, i've noticed that when i've bought things from amazon lately they've given me thirty minutes to change or cancel an order placed. Is it different when buying ebooks? (i've only ever checked out from the library.)

We have 7 days to return an eBook book to Amazon.Have no idea if Barnes and Noble has the same great return policy.That's why I love Amazon,besides great prices,is their A TO Z[guarantee] return policy.

Well I have a wonderful dilemma...I am at 80% of Cutters Grove,and I can't wait to see if I am right about 'who dun it',but the book is so good and I love the protagonist so much that I don't want this story to end! It is told in FPPOV,and his thoughts and things he says really crack me up,and the messes he gets in~OY!!!!

Usually,the subject matter of this book is something once I discovered,I would have stopped reading,but this author was a master at revealing how awful it was without it being gruesome.Amazing!

Last edited by i_love_autumn; 05-22-2015 at 07:10 AM..

Old 05-22-2015, 06:41 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
[i]

We have 7 days to return an eBook book to Amazon.
Wow! You're right.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200144510

That's a little surprising, actually. I guess it's legit if you just don't like a book and want to return it, but it feels scammy because you very well might have *finished* -- and enjoyed! -- the book within that time (and still return it).

Old 05-22-2015, 06:56 AM

443 posts, read 437,608 times
About halfway through Ken Follet's "The Pillars of the Earth" and I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

Old 05-22-2015, 07:10 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,809,462 times
Steinbeck's Cannery Row

Old 05-22-2015, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Steinbeck's Cannery Row
Loved the WONDERFUL '82 movie with Nick Nolte, Debra Winger!

Old 05-22-2015, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Wow! You're right.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200144510

That's a little surprising, actually. I guess it's legit if you just don't like a book and want to return it, but it feels scammy because you very well might have *finished* -- and enjoyed! -- the book within that time (and still return it).
That is crazy. I bet many people take advantage of that. Then again if Amazon was smart they would flag people who do that consistently. I would.

Old 05-22-2015, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post

Me too

Now I may have to read it, lol.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:53 AM

496 posts, read 395,735 times
Last evening I started We Are Not Ourselves. I am loving it right from the beginning. Dawn you are so right about this author writing beautifully. It is a pleasure to read . It's a long book so I'm not sure how long it will take me to read it but thankfully it's a long holiday weekend!

Old 05-22-2015, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Me too

Now I may have to read it, lol.

Loved Hazel and the the other guys too,it was such a fun quirky movie,I don't picture Steinbeck being able to write like that[really hated "Grapes of Wrath"],so I'll let you read 'Cannery Row' first then you can tell me if it's a "fun" read,lol!

Last edited by i_love_autumn; 05-22-2015 at 09:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books