Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2017, 02:43 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times

Advertisements

I have one to recommend to you, Netwit.

"Unwritten: A Novel" by Charles Martin. Martin is the author of "The Mountain Between Us" and I've read three of his books in the last few weeks. I think you would enjoy "Unwritten." I sure did and actually thought of you when I was reading it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2017, 05:48 AM

4,723 posts, read 4,413,722 times
I just started Marriage of Opposites. I like it- and I really hope I stick with it in a timely manner because lately I have been so slacking.
Very interesting story. (I am at all of 10%).

Old 11-06-2017, 08:15 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,929,449 times
I have not read a pleasure book in over one month and am struggling to even remember the last book that I read! Work has been crazy busy so I reduced the temptation to do anything else but just staying away from reading altogether, but now things are more settled and I'm back to the books!

I impulsively picked up a copy of A Perfect Little World by Kevin Wilson at an airport bookstore. The cover is delightful and I'm hoping the books is half as good. A psychologist backed by a wealthy woman starts an experimental living arrangement where couples raise their children together in an enclosed community (this is sounding very weird and Sci-fi, but it isn't at all like that). Izzy is a young, pregnant single woman who joins in on the project. Not sure where it all will go from here!

Old 11-06-2017, 11:53 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,252,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I have not read a pleasure book in over one month and am struggling to even remember the last book that I read! Work has been crazy busy so I reduced the temptation to do anything else but just staying away from reading altogether, but now things are more settled and I'm back to the books!

I impulsively picked up a copy of A Perfect Little World by Kevin Wilson at an airport bookstore. The cover is delightful and I'm hoping the books is half as good. A psychologist backed by a wealthy woman starts an experimental living arrangement where couples raise their children together in an enclosed community (this is sounding very weird and Sci-fi, but it isn't at all like that). Izzy is a young, pregnant single woman who joins in on the project. Not sure where it all will go from here!
I started that one and it slipped by the wayside. Strangely enough, I just found it again yesterday. I thought it interesting, but only read a few chapters.

Old 11-06-2017, 12:49 PM

3,728 posts, read 2,551,518 times
Luke: The Gospel of Amazement. Michael Card.

A good overview (& commentary) on the gospel of Luke. Prefaces the book with a historical background on the gospel writer, and then presents the Gospel, with commentary/context following each account/parable.

Old 11-06-2017, 01:09 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I finally gave up on Fates and Furies. It's just not the book for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I'm going to page through it one of these days to find out what it is about and why I gave it five stars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I gave up on it, too. I did not like the characters at all.
I didn't like any of the characters and overall found it less than compelling. But I'm coming to realize more and more that when it comes to fiction, I really just want to read a good tale that is well told.

Along those lines, I picked up Mountain Story by Lori Lansens which I think will work for me right now.

Old 11-06-2017, 01:14 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I have one to recommend to you, Netwit.

"Unwritten: A Novel" by Charles Martin. Martin is the author of "The Mountain Between Us" and I've read three of his books in the last few weeks. I think you would enjoy "Unwritten." I sure did and actually thought of you when I was reading it.

Okay I'm raising my hand for Charles martin too as I loved his book " the mountain between us " .

Old 11-07-2017, 06:28 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,384,352 times
Seriously??? I haven't been on here for about 3 weeks and had to read about 12 pages Okay, you all have been very busy bees and I could add some more books to my to-read list

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
Hi Guys,
I'm reading Five-Carat Soul by James McBride, a collection of short stories. As with the past two, The Good Lord Bird and Kill 'em Leave, it's excellent.
Simultaneously reading The Golden House by Salman Rushdie.
On deck:
Manhattan Beach by Jennifer Egan
Genuine Fraud by E. Lockhart
Midnight at Bright Ideas Bookstore by Matthew Sullivan
Tigerlily, let us know what you think about Genuine Fraud. I really liked We were Liars. The end was really surprising and very disturbing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Back at you, our queen.

I'm less than 10% into "The Fireman" and I LOVE it. Hill sweeps the reader into the story like a bear hug from a grizzley, and his characters throb with life. His plot unfolds with the delicious anticipation you wish you felt when matched with an insensitive lover.

But don't take my work for it, sample for yourself.
LFM, thank you. This is not the first Hill book on my to-read list. Have you read other books from him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Bury my Heart...a must read on my school list yrs ago...but your heart will be wrenched into one tiny piece.

Still, necessary for understanding that era of Native American history. I might read it again soon.

[/b]
I have this on my kindle but found so many other books as excuse before reading this. I'm dreading this sad story even though I'm curious too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
I have a hard time giving up unless I really really dislike it. Sadly when I do finish "some" it feels like wasted time to me. I will skim though
Me too Lisa, I rarely give up reading a book. Sometimes it really is hard work to read a book till the end but I haven't had that problem for a quite a while now. There are just too many good recommendations here

In the last weeks I have finished What Alice Forgot and Half Broke Horses:

What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty - absolutely loved it. A page turner. I couldn't go slowly even though I had a reading buddy and we wanted to read only 5 chapters and discuss afterwards The book was suspenseful, dramatic, funny and the end had nice twists and turns. 5 out of 5 stars.

Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls
- great book. Completely different than The Glass Castle but I loved the flow and the topic itself.

Currently reading The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd, which is very interesting and going along nicely, and Mr. Penumbra's 24 Hour Book Store by Robin Sloan. I'm not far with that one yet but it seems promising.

Old 11-07-2017, 07:23 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,929,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post
Currently reading The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd, which is very interesting and going along nicely, and Mr. Penumbra's 24 Hour Book Store by Robin Sloan. I'm not far with that one yet but it seems promising.

Mr. Penumbra's was a book club "assignment" for me a couple of years ago. I would have never picked it myself, but I read it anyway and really enjoyed it! That sort of imaginative fiction is a fun treat!

Old 11-07-2017, 04:50 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,252,061 times
Here are two Dawn mentioned and I read a few months ago.
The Party by Elizabeth Day
I enjoyed this book. It was well written and the story compelling. The main characters, with the exception of one who had some admirable traits, were unlikeable.
The plot was worth the read.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...review-fiction

The Party by Robyn Harding. Another book about teenagers making bad decisions with parents doing the same. Perhaps a book for parents with teenage girls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books