Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 09:37 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,017,645 times

Advertisements

Holidays in Hell by P.J. O'Rourke
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 09:49 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,211,877 times
Anything by Dorothy Parker can make me chuckle or grin. Her short stories, poetry or criticisms.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:52 PM

2,087 posts, read 4,286,861 times
What the Dogs Have Taught Me -- Merrill Markoe, creator of stupid pet tricks on The David Letterman Show

Chuck Palahniuk -- Fight Club, Choke, many others "dark humor" don't be scared!

Old 07-24-2011, 12:21 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,655,412 times
Tim Dorsey's Florida crime books with Serge Storms are hilarious.

Old 07-24-2011, 03:01 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Kind of old, but The Black Marble by Joseph Wambaugh. Wambaugh is a former LAPD cop who wrote The Onion Field, a true crime story of a cop-killing, as well as cop books that were popular in the 1970's, like The Blue Knight and The New Centurions. The Black Marble is also a cop book, but it is also very funny. The gist of it is that a woman cop is dismayed when she gets paired with an alcoholic Russian cop to hunt down a man who has dognapped a wealthy woman's pooch and is holding it for ransom. I'd read the Onion Field, which was very sad, and then picked up The Black Marble and wasn't expecting the humor.

Another one with offbeat humor--Maximum Bob, by Elmore Leonard, about a lecherous "hanging judge" in Florida whose wife believes she is channeling spirits after a near-death experience. There is one line in that book that still makes me crack up just to think about it.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:14 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,969,066 times
"Big Trouble" by Dave Barry

Lewis Grizzard's books are funny; "Shoot Low Boys They're Riding Shetland Ponies." After his open heart surgery; "They Tore Out My Heart and Stomped That Sucker Flat." He wrote about 25 books.

Tim Allen's "Don't Stand to Close to a Naked Man." His book explains the difference between men and women and it's funny!

Old 07-25-2011, 01:17 AM

393 posts, read 1,497,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Funniest book I've ever read was Jerome K. Jerome's "Three Men in a Boat". It was written over 100 years ago, and is a classic.

When my 75 year old mother came to visit once, and everyone was turning in, she said she wasn't sleepy yet, did I have anything she could read for a while, so I got out "Three Men in a Boat". Nobody could sleep, for the sound of my mother downstairs screeching with laughter, I was afraid we might have to call paramedics and see if they could find a way to make her stop laughing. In Algeria, I met a French guy and stayed for a few days at his house, and I saw the book on his shelf and mentioned it to him. He said it was the funniest book he had ever read, and we stayed up half the night reading passages to each other, until our sides ached.
Thanks for the suggestion, I just downloaded it for free for my Kindle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books