Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 06:48 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times

Advertisements

The recent thread had me thinking about this, also because I was recently around cable TV and saw that even cable nwes has drastically deteriorated.

If you read an actual physical newspaper, what do you read? Does your town have a good newspaper? Do you read your local paper but have a poor opinion of it? Are you obliged to resort to an out-of-town paper?

I feel very lucky, in New York, to not only have the New York Times, but others, ranging from the junkier tabloids like the New York Post, to the cultural, gossipy New York Observer. Also, NYC has not only serious recycling but also a tradition of often leaving one's newspaper behind on a bus or at an appointment, so that people can often scrounge one for free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2011, 08:46 PM

995 posts, read 1,115,974 times
I live in Pittsburgh, and receive the Post-Gazette daily and Sunday. We used to get the NYTimes Sunday, but the carrier for it retired or quit for some reason, and it wasn't available for a long time. We just drifted away from it. I've been thinking of getting it on my iPad tho.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:59 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,816,044 times
I used to get the daily paper, but now I do daily electronic version and the paper version on Sunday. The Houston Chronicle is not a bad paper.

Old 09-17-2011, 09:11 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,127,813 times
I pretty much rely on the net now----it is sad that the era of the big daily papers is winding down.

Before the advent of the net, it was nice to have the paper waiting for you to unwind----pop open or soda or something stronger, and catch up with the world.

OH well--progress I guess.

Old 09-17-2011, 10:09 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
I've always subscribed to the daily newspapers where ever we have lived. Right now it's the AJC in Atlanta. It's not much different from the papers in NJ or FL, just different local news. I still read the papers from other areas we lived every day, online. I especially like the smaller local weeklies.

Old 09-17-2011, 11:23 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
I spent essentially all of my twenties reporting for, writing for, and editing a community newspaper, so I tend to be a fan of local media. I read both online and in paper format. I have a deep appreciation for community weeklies, because they fill a niche not filled by larger papers.

Old 09-18-2011, 03:10 AM

1,608 posts, read 1,485,587 times
I don't read newspapers; there's better fiction available in the library.

Just my take,

Mahrie.

Old 09-18-2011, 08:07 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
If you read an actual physical newspaper, what do you read? Does your town have a good newspaper? Do you read your local paper but have a poor opinion of it?
We have a local newspaper here but don't read or subscribe to it. Personally, I don't really want to read a paper to find out about who won the spelling bee contest in X city. However, we have neighbors who receive subscriptions to the local paper and they enjoy that. We get the L.A. Times. Many people think LAT is too liberal and prefer a more conservative newspaper.

Old 09-18-2011, 08:14 PM

385 posts, read 859,335 times
I read 2 news papers every day 1 is "the reporter " from a town down the road from me and the other is " China Daily ", both very informative and between the two I can get a pretty good feel of whats going on

Old 09-18-2011, 08:40 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Writing for and being the editor of community papers was super interesting...you have the "local newspapers suck" camp who think it's stupid that every fart-blowing contest warrants a community news mention...until THEIR fart-blowing contest doesn't get mentioned, and then it's not stupid, it's a personal affront. You have people who take it suuuuuper seriously and want you to be much more muckraking then is the intent of your publication, or who think that small publications in small communities have an obligation to take a political stance one way or another, rather than just reporting. You have people who are involved in issues warranting hard news coverage who underestimate your ability to report hard news, and get caught offguard when you do. You get people who think what you do is fluff, until you start winning state press association awards for your size/division.

The coolest thing about working for small community publications, especially ones with a longstanding history (the one I worked for was 150 years old) is that it provides a cool historical document of a community, in the kind of minutiae that one wouldn't otherwise have. Each week was a relatively complete snapshot in the life of a town...not just as regurgitation of wire stories about other places that can easily be gotten elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books