Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2011, 09:14 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,339,276 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if there were any websites out there where professional critics post their opinions on books? I want to get back into reading epic fantasy novels like I did as a kid, but I would rather get a good idea on if what I am about to read is worth reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 11:37 AM

995 posts, read 1,115,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
I was wondering if there were any websites out there where professional critics post their opinions on books? I want to get back into reading epic fantasy novels like I did as a kid, but I would rather get a good idea on if what I am about to read is worth reading.
Well, you could just ask us. Over many years of bookselling, I've found that no two people like the same types of books. All I can recommend is to try them.
Years ago, when my favorite authors were in a publishing lull, I found a list of all the Hugo and Nebula award winners. I started to work my way through those and found a lot of new (to me) authors. Some were still outstanding, some SF titles haven't stood the test-of-time well. But all still great reads.

Fantasy I've read in the last year or so, and some of my favorites, no particular order:

The Magicians by Lev Grossman

The Name of the Wind, A Wise Man's Fear - Patrick Rothfuss

The Curse of Chalion, Paladin of Souls, The Hallowed Hunt - Lois McMaster Bujold

The Blade Itself, Before They are Hanged, Last Argument of Kings - Joe Abercrombie

Game of Thrones (Song of Ice and Fire series) - George R.R. Martin

Magician (Riftwar saga) - Raymond E. Feist

This is a good SF/Fantasy Top 100 list:

Your Picks: Top 100 Science-Fiction, Fantasy Books : NPR

Old 10-04-2011, 11:50 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,881,804 times
I don't know about professional critics - they're often paid off to write positive reviews. There are plenty of blogs out there with comprehensive, honest reviews though.

Fantasy Book Critic
Graeme's Fantasy Book Review
A Fantasy Reader

Then take a look at the blog rolls/lists on those for more.

Also check out Share Book Recommendations With Your Friends, Join Book Clubs, Answer Trivia or Share Book Recommendations, Join Book Clubs, Learn more about your Favorite Books and Share Books with Friends. where you can read reviews and join fantasy book groups where you can get suggestions or join group reads.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:21 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,101,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Yeah, I love Rotten Tomatoes for movie reviews.

The closest thing to it I've found for books is Amazon.com. When you get to their start-up page just click on the "Books" section and then enter a book title. You will then get a page which will have critical reviews as well as "user reviews." The user reviews are much more plentiful on this site, and they work on a four-star type of rating, where readers can write their own review and then select how many stars to give a book. I have found this site to be very helpful in assisting me choosing a book I will enjoy. It's also fun to go to the site after you read the book and see how many people agree/disagree with you.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:32 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,339,276 times
Thanks everyone!

Old 10-04-2011, 07:52 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times
Not that I know of. It's a good idea. Unfortunately, there are mostly just sites where ordinary people post opinions, and I don't usually take book recommendations from strangers.

For a long time, I've been wanting to spend some time researching for a seriously dedicated book website. Maybe if one exists, it might collect links to major reviews.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:58 PM

169 posts, read 526,529 times
You can also go to goodreads.com for reviews. I go there, as well as amazon.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books