Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 12:05 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times

Advertisements

Not talking about major cities like LA, NYC, Chicago, SF or Dallas but small cities or towns.

It could be fiction or nonfiction. I'm just wondering if the stories stay true to your location that is, if fiction, it sounds like your town and the people in it. If nonfiction, did you think you knew more than the author or the author didn't capture the place correctly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 12:09 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
It's so funny that you should ask that. I'm originally from Montreal and there are a few (not many, but some) books that take place there. I thought it would be neat to have walked the streets that were mentioned, gone to the restaurants that were referenced, etc... but, it's strange -- I didn't like it all. I don't quite know why. I think it felt like it couldn't be a "real" story if it took place in my piddly hometown. (Good that I don't live in NYC, in that case -- I'd have nothing to read!)

Sorry that I didn't answer your questions but I don't remember if they stayed true to the city or captured it correctly.

Old 11-28-2011, 01:46 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,549,100 times
"Pink Chimneys" by Andreana Hamlin and many books by Stephen King

Old 11-28-2011, 01:49 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Not in my specific town, but in a few of those surrounding. Mary Higgins Clark is from a couple of towns away, and often sets her books locally.

Old 11-28-2011, 01:53 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,051,289 times
Quite a few, actually.

Laguna Beach is the setting of many books and a very inane TV show. Orange County also has a show with its name. Neither is true to the location or the local lifestyle.

Charleston is the setting of even more books.

Old 11-28-2011, 02:04 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,607,055 times
William Kent Krueger writes really good (although very violent) mysteries/thrillers that are set in my area. In fact he named the main community in the books Aurora, and there is a real town named Aurora which isn't anything like the place he writes about. Krueger lives in the Twin Cities area of MN and his interpretation of our region is pretty typical for a city dweller - eg simultaneously idealized and demeaning. I do recommend his books, though!

Old 11-28-2011, 08:57 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
It's so funny that you should ask that. I'm originally from Montreal and there are a few (not many, but some) books that take place there.
There are actually TONS of books that are set in Montreal, but the vast majority of them are in French.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:11 PM

220 posts, read 283,040 times
I guess I'm from a fairly large town - St. Louis, MO - but it's not too interesting of a town so there aren't too many books set there. One memoir set in good ol' StL is King of the Hill by A.E. Hotchner, who incidentally was a very good friend of Paul Newman and co-founded the Newman's Own line of products with him. A wonderful and poignant book of Hotchner growing up in the depression, it was made into a movie in 1993. The movie was directed by Steven Soderbergh, after Sex, Lies and Videotape but before he really took off as a director, and starred Jesse Bradford, Adrien Brody (in his first major role), Karen Allen, Katherine Heigl, Spalding Gray and Elizabeth McGovern, among others. Anyway, I guess I have strong memories of this book and movie because my mom, brother and I were extras in the movie. And it was a great movie. It's available on netflix instant stream, if anyone is interested.

Old 11-29-2011, 03:44 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
There are actually TONS of books that are set in Montreal, but the vast majority of them are in French.
Ahhhh! I didn't even think of that, I guess because I don't read French.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:45 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Not talking about major cities like LA, NYC, Chicago, SF or Dallas but small cities or towns.

It could be fiction or nonfiction. I'm just wondering if the stories stay true to your location that is, if fiction, it sounds like your town and the people in it. If nonfiction, did you think you knew more than the author or the author didn't capture the place correctly?
John Gardner set The Sunlight Dialogues in Batavia, NY, and I grew up in a neighboring village. Gardner was born in Batavia.

I found the book very confusing to follow at the time I tried to read it, and eventually abandoned it unfinished. Thus, that reaction has really trumped any other memories I have of the book.

On the other hand, I have read - and still have - Coming of Age in Buffalo by William Groebner. It is a very detailed, well illustrated non-fiction book about teenage life in Buffalo in the Fifties. Those were my teenage years, and I visited Buffalo frequently because most of my father's family lived there, and though we lived forty miles outside Buffalo it was a major cultural influence due to having one of the first megawatt rock n roll radio stations in the U.S., and its daily evening paper was our family newspaper.

I love the book because while it focuses on urban Buffalo, so much of what it is about was shared by me as a result of living so close. And I find it an accurate account.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books