Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2012, 09:43 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,256,191 times

Advertisements

If you're a loyal viewer of Downton Abbey as am I, the article suggests several books relating to Edwardian and wartime England. I'm on the waiting list for Jessica Fellowe's book and a few others.

Clip:

The British melodrama "Downton Abbey" is already the darling of American public television. Now it has become a marketing tool for booksellers and publishers hoping to tap into the passion of the show's audience.

Publishers are convinced that viewers who obsessively tune in to follow the war-torn travails of an aristocratic family and its meddling but loyal servants are also literary types, likely to devour books on subjects the series touches.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/12/bu...gewanted=print
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 09:54 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Downton Abbey makes me want to revisit the Mitfords. Sybil's pretty spot-on for Jessica, and I can see Mary being a Nancy, even if she's not nearly as witty.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:02 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,256,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Downton Abbey makes me want to revisit the Mitfords. Sybil's pretty spot-on for Jessica, and I can see Mary being a Nancy, even if she's not nearly as witty.
The Mitford book mentioned in the article is one that I ordered.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:56 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
I think Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh would have to be read.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:31 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,374,256 times
Are the Mitfords you speak of, the series of books on people in Ohio? The library book sale had a lot of those. Have you read them all? Are they really good? What other books could you compare them with? I know, 20 questions .

Old 01-13-2012, 03:17 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
People who like Downton Abbey might enjoy Edith Wharton's books.

She was born into the upper echelon of American society, traveled extensively (eventually settling in France), and used her superb writing skills to illustrate the hypocrisy, social-climbing and general ups and downs of the privileged set.

In 1921, she was the first woman to win the Pulitzer Prize, for The Age of Innocence.

Her last book, The Buccaneers (actually unfinished at the time of her death), had a character who, as a governess, kept herself afloat in the world of the affluent by taking care of wealthy young American girls and later helping to negotiate their marriages to titled Englishmen.

Masterpiece Theater produced a pretty good adaptation of The Buccaneers.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:21 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
Are the Mitfords you speak of, the series of books on people in Ohio? The library book sale had a lot of those. Have you read them all? Are they really good? What other books could you compare them with? I know, 20 questions .
The Mitfords were sisters who grew up in an aristocratic English family around the same time that Downton Abbey is set. They all lived colorful lives--Nancy was a writer, Diana married a Guinness, then left him for the head of the British Fascists, Unity was a close friend of Hitler, Jessica was a communist and ran away from home, and Deborah is the current Duchess of Devonshire. More: Masterpiece Theatre | Love in a Cold Climate | Essays + Interviews | The Mitford Sisters There are dozens of books by and about the Mitfords. Nancy wrote Love in a Cold Climate and the Pursuit of Love, which are fiction, but give a glimpse into what life was like post-WWI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books