Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2012, 11:52 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times

Advertisements

Have you heard???

Life of Pi (2012) - IMDb

And before you ask, no, I'm not going to see it. I just thought you might be interested to know about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 12:58 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,350,226 times
I won't go see it either. I imagine I would be thoroughly disappointed (as is the case 99% of the time).

Old 06-19-2012, 08:03 PM

995 posts, read 1,115,360 times
I'm conflicted about seeing it too.
However, I went to see Prometheus tonight, and saw the trailer for it which was...startling. Check that out before you make a final decision.

Old 06-20-2012, 02:13 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,932,114 times
OK - I might have to take one for the CityData book thread team and go see it for us. I loved the book enough that even if the movie is horrid (which it probably will be), it still won't spoil the book for me. After all, I've defended this book to countless friends and family who hated it and thought I was bonkers for recommending it!

To each his own...

Old 06-20-2012, 02:25 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
OK - I might have to take one for the CityData book thread team and go see it for us. I loved the book enough that even if the movie is horrid (which it probably will be), it still won't spoil the book for me. After all, I've defended this book to countless friends and family who hated it and thought I was bonkers for recommending it!

To each his own...
I absolutely adored this book, too. That's not the only reason I won't go see the movie, though -- I never see movies that are also books. I much prefer to read the story than to watch it. Even when I hear of a movie that I then discover was made because it was previously a book, I'll get the book rather than watch the movie. And if I've already read the book? Then, for sure, I won't see the movie.

I love that you're taking one for the team, though! You have a while to really, truly decide, though... I think it's only coming out at the end of November.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:26 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,319,963 times
When we read we create pictures in our minds of the characters and the situations. Sometimes a movie can totally ruin what we have created in our minds.

On the other hand there are movies like The Help that was right on the money when compared to the book, IMO.

I'll wait until I hear some reviews about The Life of Pi movie by folks who have read the book first.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:39 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,450,970 times
Movies never change my memory of a book, unless the book is a pure visual adventure. I'll go see the film.

For Life of Pi the most fulfilling passages were about what's internal, the formations of thought. How a movie captures that is a test, and I may be disappointed. Action description is all they could really foul up and that wasn't what I loved about the book, so I'm not worried there.

If it were an Andre Malraux novel I might be more hesitant, because his work is so intrinsically cinematic. But I'd still go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books